What are the x-rays for?

my dad just finished week two of 30 radiation trearments at MSKCC.  he is HPV+ SCC BOT.  

He said he is getting an X-ray once a week but he's not sure hat they are for.  Can you detect cancer on an X-ray?  What else would the weekly x-Ray be foR?  Thanks for your help in advance..... 

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Routine

The techs took a weekly scan that was taken during treatment.  I think it is to make sure that everything is in alignment.  We lose weight and/or tumors shrink.  They need to make sure that they are zapping you in the correct place.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    KTeacher said:

Routine

The techs took a weekly scan that was taken during treatment.  I think it is to make sure that everything is in alignment.  We lose weight and/or tumors shrink.  They need to make sure that they are zapping you in the correct place.

Hi Katie

I agree with Teacher a lot of times they use it to see how the tumor is reacting to the treatment and to make sure they are hitting the right location.

Tim Hondo

• Katie10485
    Katie10485 Member Posts: 41
    Hondo said:

Hi Katie

I agree with Teacher a lot of times they use it to see how the tumor is reacting to the treatment and to make sure they are hitting the right location.

Tim Hondo

Thanks!

Thank you both! I guess I wasn't sure cancer could be shown on an X-ray.