New To Forums

Options
2»

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

I'm here. Thanks for checking

I'm here. Thanks for checking on me. I finished chemo Dec 15--4 dd biweekly A/C treatments followed by 12 weekly Taxol. I did get a two week break after week 7 of taxol because of severe rash, and low blood counts.  I'm still weak, and following those last five treatments, I had to do another steroid pack because my rash came back. Between the weakness and the neuropathy (lots of tingling in my hands and feet), I bought and have been using a cane. I will be havivg a double mastectomy with Sentinel node dissection on Jan 15. Then a Month after that will begin 28 radiation treatments. Jeanelle

No reconstruction here, either

Jeanelle,

I just wanted to chime in that I'll also be having a bilateral mastectomy sometime in January (I meet with my surgeon on Friday to set a date), and have also opted not to have reconstruction.  I met with a plastic surgeon like you did -- but nothing he said made me want to put my body through more surgery than I have to.

As far as prostheses -- I'll probably try them out, but there's no way I'm going to fuss with wearing them every day.  So I'll be flat-chested -- so what?  I'm 45 years old, and in a committed relationship -- it's not like I'm trying to attract anyone with my fabulous rack! Laughing  Also, for me, the thought of never having to wear a bra again unless I CHOOSE to feels very liberating.

I definitely don't want to suggest that anyone else should feel like I do about reconstruction and/or prostheses -- that's just how I feel about it for myself.

Traci

• alabama_survivor
    alabama_survivor Member Posts: 85
    Options
    GlowMore said:

We are with YOU....

We are with you Jeanette............ and just think about this.....one day you can put that cane away like I did  :)   But I do remember having to use one.... sending you hugs and prayers....  glo

At first I felt really self

At first I felt really self conscious about using a cane, but I've seen a lot of people that look to be my age or younger using them. A lot better than grabbing the wall. I bought it after nearly losing my balance on the way to the bathroom following one of my treatments. With the Taxol, they always gave me IV Benadryl, so  I would always sleep through my infusion and be groggy afterward. 

• alabama_survivor
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

No reconstruction here, either

Jeanelle,

I just wanted to chime in that I'll also be having a bilateral mastectomy sometime in January (I meet with my surgeon on Friday to set a date), and have also opted not to have reconstruction.  I met with a plastic surgeon like you did -- but nothing he said made me want to put my body through more surgery than I have to.

As far as prostheses -- I'll probably try them out, but there's no way I'm going to fuss with wearing them every day.  So I'll be flat-chested -- so what?  I'm 45 years old, and in a committed relationship -- it's not like I'm trying to attract anyone with my fabulous rack! Laughing  Also, for me, the thought of never having to wear a bra again unless I CHOOSE to feels very liberating.

I definitely don't want to suggest that anyone else should feel like I do about reconstruction and/or prostheses -- that's just how I feel about it for myself.

Traci

Thanks,  Traci. I actually

Thanks,  Traci. I actually found a website for women who choose not to do reconstruction.  I was reading how more and more women are choosing to flat. If you will do a search for going flat,  you should find it. I was actually looking at the camisoles in the TLC catalog, but I'm not going to buy anything until after my surgery. 

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Protheses are no big deal

I just wanted to mention that my prothesis causes me no problems whatsoever. I have to wear one because my real breast is D cup and I feel like I'm going to fall over if I don't wear my fake breast even alone at home. All I do is slip it in a clean bra before I go to sleep and it's ready in the morning (I sleep with a strechy sports bra). I just put it on like anyone puts on their bra! No big deal. I also have a foam one and a swimming one. They are amazingly realistic looking and when my husband first felt it, he was amazed. They feel like the real thing when you are dressed. I love mine and have no need for further surgeries. Nothing wrong with going flat, just wanted to encourage any woman who wants other options. Happy New Year to all.....Anna  (P.S. You can kinda see it in my photo - Which one is fake? lol!)

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I'm here. Thanks for checking

I'm here. Thanks for checking on me. I finished chemo Dec 15--4 dd biweekly A/C treatments followed by 12 weekly Taxol. I did get a two week break after week 7 of taxol because of severe rash, and low blood counts.  I'm still weak, and following those last five treatments, I had to do another steroid pack because my rash came back. Between the weakness and the neuropathy (lots of tingling in my hands and feet), I bought and have been using a cane. I will be havivg a double mastectomy with Sentinel node dissection on Jan 15. Then a Month after that will begin 28 radiation treatments. Jeanelle

canes

I had to use a cane during chemo too, almost thought I was going to need a walker for the last round of chemo but luckily the onc decreased my dose for that one. I finished chemo Sep 18, haven't needed the cane now for a long time and I'm able to walk the treadmill at 3.4 mph and even climbed 4 flights of stairs over the holidays. Still have chemo brain though - sometimes call things the wrong name and have to search for words.

• alabama_survivor
    Options
    button2 said:

Protheses are no big deal

I just wanted to mention that my prothesis causes me no problems whatsoever. I have to wear one because my real breast is D cup and I feel like I'm going to fall over if I don't wear my fake breast even alone at home. All I do is slip it in a clean bra before I go to sleep and it's ready in the morning (I sleep with a strechy sports bra). I just put it on like anyone puts on their bra! No big deal. I also have a foam one and a swimming one. They are amazingly realistic looking and when my husband first felt it, he was amazed. They feel like the real thing when you are dressed. I love mine and have no need for further surgeries. Nothing wrong with going flat, just wanted to encourage any woman who wants other options. Happy New Year to all.....Anna  (P.S. You can kinda see it in my photo - Which one is fake? lol!)

Thanks Anna. I opted not to

Thanks Anna. I opted not to do reconstruction because I am high risk and didn't want to do the additional surgeries.  Since making my decision I have read that the expanders and implants are both cold and uncomfortable.  Thhat was enough for me. 

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Thanks Anna. I opted not to

Thanks Anna. I opted not to do reconstruction because I am high risk and didn't want to do the additional surgeries.  Since making my decision I have read that the expanders and implants are both cold and uncomfortable.  Thhat was enough for me. 

What to wear....

I just had a Lumpectomy but ended up with one perky boob pointing off to the left and one old tired boob which continues to droop.......thought about reconstruction jobs for both but like a lot of you just did not want to have any more surgery.   So...I didn't wear a bra for about ten years and just layered my tops and wore vests etc because of being so lop sided....then this year I found a Stretchable Bra that has a tiny layer of foam padding which works because it sort of helps to even out the look.   I had to do something because I was getting tender skin on my chest under my droopy one and getting a rash there and the med for that cost $40 a tube.   Anyway....the new bras are working pretty well....I think they are called Revolution by Bali but not totally sure.  We each must find what works for us and not let it get us down too much.  Main thing is to keep going and try to help each other I think.  

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    I agree Alabama

I was too afraid that I would hate the results! A friend of mine told me her implant was terribly uncomfortable in cold weather and another lady told me to pass too after lots of problems. Also I didn't want to mess around with my "good side". I'm a super sporty person and if I were to get any surgery it would be to take off rather than add on! Best, Anna

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    GlowMore said:

What to wear....

I just had a Lumpectomy but ended up with one perky boob pointing off to the left and one old tired boob which continues to droop.......thought about reconstruction jobs for both but like a lot of you just did not want to have any more surgery.   So...I didn't wear a bra for about ten years and just layered my tops and wore vests etc because of being so lop sided....then this year I found a Stretchable Bra that has a tiny layer of foam padding which works because it sort of helps to even out the look.   I had to do something because I was getting tender skin on my chest under my droopy one and getting a rash there and the med for that cost $40 a tube.   Anyway....the new bras are working pretty well....I think they are called Revolution by Bali but not totally sure.  We each must find what works for us and not let it get us down too much.  Main thing is to keep going and try to help each other I think.  

Bali Bra

Yes, I just discovered that new Bali bra too and love it. It's stretchy enough that I can just leave it hooked and put it on over my head, and it does seem to hide that one breast is larger than the other. With my stiff shoulder I can't reach behind to hook my bra, and don't have the flexibility needed to hook it in front and turn it around.

• gracesmiles52
    gracesmiles52 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Tough to know what to do.  I

Tough to know what to do.  I was 57 when I dealt with the news I had cancer.  I am a IIIA person.  I decided I did not want reconstruction.....  I really did not want more surgery....  I know of instances when things did not go right .....  I did not want to prolong my recovery.  I wanted to get on with life.

I had a bilateral mastectomy.  I had chemo.  I had radiation.  I am on tamoxifen.

Two years in remission and I have not regretted my choices.

I hope you will soon have peace about a decision.

ee

So even though you went

So even though you went against what you wanted and did everything the Dr.'s recommended you have never looked back no regrets. I am just beginning this journey and I get nauseated every time I think about the chemo, radiation and pills they say I have to take. They have already suggested a Mastectomy. I am stage 2 and it has gone into the Lymph glands. I am going to have a PET scan this next week to see if it has spread.I am praying it hasn't but like the rest of this journey it has not gone well. I am just scared of all the toxins going into my body. i have Multiple Sclerosis and the treatment will probably put me in a wheel chair and so I ask is it worth it?I am not doing reconstructive surgery. I am certainly not afraid to die. The treatment is worse than the disease. My mind is all over the place. I have been thru all this int he last 3 weeks feeling really scared and angry. Sorry about the rant. Trying to find something positive...not yet not anything.

Kathy