To Worry or Not - NOT (PET SCAN CAME BACK CLEAR!!)

lornal
lornal Member Posts: 428
edited December 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Had my PET scan this morning.  Had it at the hospital where I hard my laryngectomy in January.

Anyway, just like every one else, I want my results NOW.  But, of course, the doctor is not working today.

The radialogist came to talk to me afterwards - first time that happened - should I worry or not?

He asked if I had any radiation after my surgery in January.  No.  Chemo? Not.  Should I worry or not? Asked if I had a cough or virus.

I laughed (as much as I could w/ an electrolarynx) - coughing is the life of a laryngectomy.

So, should I worry or not?

(I will be until I hear from the doctor's office.)

Oh, the radiologist wouldn't tell me anything - and said they pictures take a few hours to develop.  True?  or should I worry or not?

Have a great weekend all - you know where my mind will be...

Lorna

2007 & 2014

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    I would say.....NO Do not worry

There is several reasons I say not to worry. 1) They are instant and on a computer. You don't have to develope anything, not even in an X-ray they have them in under two min. 2) was it the tech. that took the PET/CT? If so he is not the Radiologist. It will take the Radiologist several hours to read the scan. 3) He is probabily seeing the OLD scars from when you had Radiation it will leave the tissue changed somewhat. The question about the cough is you might have some congestion in the lungs and get some antibiotics.

Years ago [many] I had nose surgery and after you have to coat the inside with mineral oil. Well some ran down my throat and wher I cleared it, it weny into my left lung and is the size of a nickel. Then I had a lung collapse lung twice on the right side. Well I would let the Tech know before they took the X-Ray and they were very glad I did. Except one time this Teck was very cocky and interupted me and said it was not necessory for me to tell him. So, I didn't. After he took the X-ray he came out and looked kinda pale and said he would need to take more. I said, I guess you saw the spot on the left lung and how about that right one? He said "You know about that?" Yep, i'm not here for that just a check up. He thought I had "C" and Pleurisy, which I did not have. I said, I did try to let you know.

I know it is easy to tell someone not to worry, but try your best. 

Bill

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Agree

Nothing special about the questions.  Have a good Tksgiving.

pat

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member

Agree

Nothing special about the questions.  Have a good Tksgiving.

pat

I agree too,

Don’t worry about it and enjoy the holidays; it will be what it will be. I know I know it is hard but try not to worry about it too much just focus on something good and enjoy it as much as you can.

Tim Hondo

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    If you gotta worry....

keep it generic....the Rad Doc sounds like he was reading his questions off an "ask all patients list".  And yes, I know it would be close to impossible to not give this another thought till Monday.....but enjoy the moments in between those thoughts.

p

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member

If you gotta worry....

keep it generic....the Rad Doc sounds like he was reading his questions off an "ask all patients list".  And yes, I know it would be close to impossible to not give this another thought till Monday.....but enjoy the moments in between those thoughts.

p

Worry hat

Sorry you had to wear your worry hat for the entire holiday. Prayers for good news

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Clear

PET scan came back clear.  A couple of issues I will followup on next year - but they hae been showing up in scans for years, but haven't been checked again for several years.

Yay!

Lorna 2007 & 2014  (and NOT 2015!)

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    lornal said:

Clear

PET scan came back clear.  A couple of issues I will followup on next year - but they hae been showing up in scans for years, but haven't been checked again for several years.

Yay!

Good news

This is the best news to hear.  Now keep on keeping on!

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    lornal said:

Clear

Yay!

Hope you didn't have to worry too much before you got the Great news.

Bill

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    lornal said:

Clear

Yay!

Well this made my day....

I am doing a happy dance for you Lorna.....this is absolutely wonderful news.  WTG!  Sending hugs and virtual dancing shoes....

p

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member

Well this made my day....

I am doing a happy dance for you Lorna.....this is absolutely wonderful news.  WTG!  Sending hugs and virtual dancing shoes....

p

Super!

News worth waiting for...congrats!

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    lornal said:

Clear

Yay!

All Clear

Wow great news and just in time for the holidays, God bless and keep you in His care.

Tim Hondo