Strep B UTI

Options
Barb5454
Barb5454 Member Posts: 125

Hi everyone!

What I thought was a bowel obstruction was in fact Strep B UTI!!

I was told it's because of the cancer I had and my immune system is low.

This is the 2nd time this year I had this UTI. However, the PCP I had before

didn't tell me what kind of UTI I had.My new PCP is awesome and she wants

to do further testing.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Oh and other than pain in my stomach. I didn't have pain when I went to the bathroom.

I didn't have the usual UTI symptoms

Comments

• jcruz
    jcruz Member Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have an answer.

I didn't know there were different kinds of UTIs.  I've had way more UTIs in the past 18 months than in my entire life.  Now I wonder if it's related.  Another question to write down in my "doctor book"

• pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    jcruz said:

I didn't know there were different kinds of UTIs.  I've had way more UTIs in the past 18 months than in my entire life.  Now I wonder if it's related.  Another question to write down in my "doctor book"

UTI infection

At least having a diagnosis you can have treatment & hopefully end the wretched pain.

Hope you rrecover soon

Liz

• judyv3
    judyv3 Member Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Barb5454

So glad to hear you have a diagnosis.  But really, you've been battling for too long without an answer.  Ugh.

Hope you're back to feeling good soon.

• Barb5454
    Options
    Thanks

Thank you everyone!

It's nice knowing what it is and no more guessing games.

And yes it took this long UGH!

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Better than a bowel obstruction!

When urine is collected to evaluate for an infection, it is cultured to see what bugs grow and how sensitive that bug is to the various antibiotics. In general, symptoms of UTIs can include acute pain with voiding, fever, chills, urinary cloudiness, an odor change, and may have visible blood. HOWEVER, you may not be able to see the blood (macroscopic bleeding vs microscopic bleeeding). 

The dipstick test they do in many MD offices will show if the pH has changed, if proteins are present and WBCs, and if blood is detected, but will not tell them what bug exactly and the antibiotics it's sensitive to. A urine for culture & senstivity (C&S) will still need to be taken. You can always ask for copies of past culture reports to discover what the infection was then, too, to see if this is a pattern.

Yet another excellent reason to drink liters of water!

• Barb5454
    Options

Better than a bowel obstruction!

When urine is collected to evaluate for an infection, it is cultured to see what bugs grow and how sensitive that bug is to the various antibiotics. In general, symptoms of UTIs can include acute pain with voiding, fever, chills, urinary cloudiness, an odor change, and may have visible blood. HOWEVER, you may not be able to see the blood (macroscopic bleeding vs microscopic bleeeding). 

The dipstick test they do in many MD offices will show if the pH has changed, if proteins are present and WBCs, and if blood is detected, but will not tell them what bug exactly and the antibiotics it's sensitive to. A urine for culture & senstivity (C&S) will still need to be taken. You can always ask for copies of past culture reports to discover what the infection was then, too, to see if this is a pattern.

Yet another excellent reason to drink liters of water!

Strep B is...

Considered a disease because of a low immune system due to the cancer I once had. This is what was explained to me by my doctor. I will have to go on a antibiotic regiem for 3 months. I have had 3 doctors opinions and they all agree.

There are no systems to Strep B.