update her2 positive esophageal cancer treatment

dfd24
dfd24 Member Posts: 91

here is the latest update:

the six cycles of herceptin and docetaxel didn't work:
The docetaxel side effects from the docetaxel were real tough, especially hard was the fatigue, loss of strength and muscle aches. also unpleasant was constant tears , his eyes were tearing all the time because of the docetaxel

23 october 2014 : PET SCAN evaluation after six cycles docetaxel and herceptin : PROGRESSION existing nodules have grown and maybe new ones but they might be infection

DECISION STAFF MEETING NOV 10 2014: continue with herceptin and add Xeloda; search for a phase 3 clinical trial using Kadcyla ; a bit of a break from chemo , Xeloda will start DEC 11. herceptin was continued on the same every three weeks mode.

so now that he is off the docetaxel my husband is starting to feel better. He is feeling less tired and feels his strenth coming back when he bicycles. 
Here in FRance Kadcyla has only been approved for breast cancer , not for gastric cancers yet . The oncologist cannot give Kadcyla on her own, has to look for a clinical trial

all the best to all,

danièle

Comments

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    Sorry to Hear

Hi Daniele,

Sorry to hear Claude didn't get the desired benefit from the docetaxel.  Progression is something you never want to hear.  Hopefully, you can find a trial and the kadcyla will work.

You guys are in my thoughts,

Ed

• dfd24

Sorry to Hear

Hi Daniele,

Sorry to hear Claude didn't get the desired benefit from the docetaxel.  Progression is something you never want to hear.  Hopefully, you can find a trial and the kadcyla will work.

You guys are in my thoughts,

Ed

great you're doing well on herceptin

Hi Ed,

you're right, you never want to hear progression. In Claude's case it's been a bit of a yo yo with at times 

going down, at times stable and progression a few times. This chemo was particularly difficult so all the more disappointing to go through difficult chemo with bad results.

Think about you all the time too  and so happy that herceptin works for you. It is always good to hear about the good results and your example gives people hope.

All the best,

danièle

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    I wish the news had been better

Danièle

I am so very sorry to hear that Claude’s last set of scans show progression. I know it must be very disappointing for you both to go through the side effects and then have the outcome be progression.

I hope you find access to a clinical trial that can make the new medications available for future treatment.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers for comfort and strength for you both,

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina
    DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009 - Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009
     Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU - Four Year Survivor

• dfd24
    paul61 said:

I wish the news had been better

Danièle

I am so very sorry to hear that Claude’s last set of scans show progression. I know it must be very disappointing for you both to go through the side effects and then have the outcome be progression.

I hope you find access to a clinical trial that can make the new medications available for future treatment.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers for comfort and strength for you both,

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina
    DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009 - Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009
     Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU - Four Year Survivor

thanks paul

Thank you , Paul. 

Your comments are always very kind and helpful to people.

All the best,

danièle