Rectal bleeding and scared

Options
JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

So my surgery was on June 12 of this year. I've had some discharge from the rectum occasionally, just mucous which is to be expected. I had discomfort there for months after the surgery but that's been gone for a while. In the past week I've twice now had some fresh blood. Not constant bleeding, just blood instead of the mucous. I don't see my surgeon for an exam until Dec 8 so I'm going to call today and see if there's any way they can move that up because this is really scaring me. I don't know if it's a normal thing to get occasionally or if it could indicate something bad. I've had a tiny bit of discomfort with it, very slight.

Crap, crap, crap. I hate the constant worrying. For years when I had IBS and didn't have cancer I'd have things like this happen but never thought twice about it. Now it's a scary thing that kept me awake last night. 

Comments

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My husband had it happen a

My husband had it happen a couple of times since surgery.  Surgeon said it was nothing to worry about.  Yeah sure we don't worry at all....easier said than done!  have you been more active than usual?  Haven't eaten beets or anything with red dye have you?

• JanJan63
    Options
    jen2012 said:

My husband had it happen a

My husband had it happen a couple of times since surgery.  Surgeon said it was nothing to worry about.  Yeah sure we don't worry at all....easier said than done!  have you been more active than usual?  Haven't eaten beets or anything with red dye have you?

Thanks for the reply. I have

Thanks for the reply. I have an ostomy so even if I had been eating anything like that it wouldn't show up there. I should have mentioned that, sorry. It's probably nothing but it seems like I've had to have every side effect and complication possible from everything they're done so I get worried. I just want to get through this mop up chemo and then I can deal with something new.

• Akroger
    Akroger Member Posts: 88
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

Thanks for the reply. I have

Thanks for the reply. I have an ostomy so even if I had been eating anything like that it wouldn't show up there. I should have mentioned that, sorry. It's probably nothing but it seems like I've had to have every side effect and complication possible from everything they're done so I get worried. I just want to get through this mop up chemo and then I can deal with something new.

Ostomy

My mom has an ostomy and experienced a little bit of bleeding along with the mucous early on, and it wasn't anything serious. How long have you had your ostomy for?

• LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

Hey,
    If it helps to calm

Hey,

If it helps to calm your nerves, my Rick had that issue too, and like Jen said, the doctor said it was normal.  Take a deep breath, it will be ok...  :)

• JanJan63
    Options

Hey,
    If it helps to calm

Hey,

If it helps to calm your nerves, my Rick had that issue too, and like Jen said, the doctor said it was normal.  Take a deep breath, it will be ok...  :)

Thank you so much. I'll try

Thank you so much. I'll try to relax. I've had the ostomy since February.

I just want to get past this chemo before I have to deal with anything else. I'm miserable enough. The cold prickles are driving me nuts. I can't keep track of everything that gets it going, even my cell phone, which is in the house. I keep wearing the gloves but I still forget and touch things I shouldn't but didn't think would be an issue. I just seem to walk around the house going 'dammit' 'dammit' over and over.