Finally have come to the forum...

Options
3RScott
3RScott Member Posts: 6
edited November 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi all,

52 yr old dude from California, married with 2 children 25 and 19 and 1 grandchild age 4.

jan 2013 had emergency surgery after waking up to intense pain. After emergency colon resection found 1 tumor, Determined stage II. Immediately underwent radiation and 2 rounds chemo, the second being FullFox. Finished 9/13. 1 month ago CAE elevated to 6.8, scans revealed 2 mets on left side. Had resection one week ago ( man I'm sore). I'm home licking my wounds, have Dr appt tomorrow to follow up. 

The resection was Lapro but incision under ribs had to be larger. They also took my Gall Bladder. As I read about resection after resection it really was depressing but at least it's respectable right? It's such a scary thing, I've stayed really strong thru this but you all know what those quiet times are like. I have never bought into forums before or support groups thinking it was just more doom and gloom but reading through these posts proves that false.

I looked through many other posts through the last nearly 2 years and found most to so old. Wondering of these folks were still alive. I like that the posts here seem to updated more. Anyone that can shed some light into what I'm going thru I would appreciate it. At this point I'm still functioning in the shock mode.

Scott

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott. I have nothing to

Hi Scott. I have nothing to add to what you're saying, my situation was a little different. I just wanted to let you know that Im'm sorry for the reason you're here.  I've looked at forums before this one and this is the best, most supportive and informational one I found. I hope you're feeling better soon. Surgery sucks.

Jan

• RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hope

Hey Scott. 

Many have passed here and many remain. Some just moved on, perhaps as part of their healing process, others because of lifestyle changes, change of habits, or what have you. 

These forums are full of hope and encouragement. 

I have found them to be most helpful and most encouraging when I had specific questions or fears. there is a better than excellent chance that someone has been there before you. 

Don't hesitate to ask any question or shout out fears, concerns or just vents. That is what we are here for. 

Best wishes

rick 

• 3RScott
    Options

Hope

Hey Scott. 

Many have passed here and many remain. Some just moved on, perhaps as part of their healing process, others because of lifestyle changes, change of habits, or what have you. 

These forums are full of hope and encouragement. 

I have found them to be most helpful and most encouraging when I had specific questions or fears. there is a better than excellent chance that someone has been there before you. 

Don't hesitate to ask any question or shout out fears, concerns or just vents. That is what we are here for. 

Best wishes

rick 

Thanks!

Thanks Rick! Looking forward to getting to know some folks and sharing along the way.

Scott

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Hello Scott

Welcome here, we all are going through cancer and it's nice to have a place that is geared to our specific cancer, there will be a lot of been there done that which can help you through a lot of uncertainty, which there is a lot of in our cancer world.

And as you said, at least it's resectionable, I've been through a few of those and hoping to go through another, it's what keeps me here on earth breathing and enjoying life.

Now you said resection on left side was this also the colon?  I have had three resections of colon and need another.  The reason?  I should have a colonoscopy every year so that they can get them while they are polyps and not full blown tumors, mine appear to grow quite fast and it's only when I have pain that a colonoscopy is dohe to discover there's another tumor.  You may be the same way, so INSIST and follow up on yearly colonoscopy until it they come back clear of polyps for a year or two.  They may not show up on CT scans, I had a scan that showed my second tumor, then did chemo and it disappeared from scan, then had surgery because that same tumor had grown and had me 95% blocked.  Four scans after the first scan did not show the tumor at all.  Now I have another tumor on left side which has never showed up on a CT or Pet scan either.  I just want you to be aware of this if this is your second colon resection as something to keep an eye on.

Heres to this being your last tumor and good health your way.

Winter Marie

• 3RScott
    Options

Hello Scott

Welcome here, we all are going through cancer and it's nice to have a place that is geared to our specific cancer, there will be a lot of been there done that which can help you through a lot of uncertainty, which there is a lot of in our cancer world.

And as you said, at least it's resectionable, I've been through a few of those and hoping to go through another, it's what keeps me here on earth breathing and enjoying life.

Now you said resection on left side was this also the colon?  I have had three resections of colon and need another.  The reason?  I should have a colonoscopy every year so that they can get them while they are polyps and not full blown tumors, mine appear to grow quite fast and it's only when I have pain that a colonoscopy is dohe to discover there's another tumor.  You may be the same way, so INSIST and follow up on yearly colonoscopy until it they come back clear of polyps for a year or two.  They may not show up on CT scans, I had a scan that showed my second tumor, then did chemo and it disappeared from scan, then had surgery because that same tumor had grown and had me 95% blocked.  Four scans after the first scan did not show the tumor at all.  Now I have another tumor on left side which has never showed up on a CT or Pet scan either.  I just want you to be aware of this if this is your second colon resection as something to keep an eye on.

Heres to this being your last tumor and good health your way.

Winter Marie

Great info

Yes, the colon Was the initial problem. Tumor was found after I was taken to ER for bowel perforation. Tumor was found some 5 inches from perforation. Dr's found it odd because tumor didn't appear big enough to cause blockage. I did have colonoscopy following the radiation and chemo and was clear. Not even a single polyp, I was surprised.

Now that we are dealing with the liver mets now, my oncologist told me a recent appt with my colon doc was a waste of time, that I shouldcancel. I did. Maybe in a month or two I'll reschedule that to be safe.

You have given me asome great info, thank you for taking the time, much appreciated!

Scott

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you have to

I am sorry that you have to be here. With that said, Welcome. We are glad to help in anyway possible through our experiences.

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hey Scott

I'm a 56 year old dude from California too, got 2 kids also. My situation is very similar to yours in that I had a colon tumor stage 3b removed, folfox and then 1 liver met removed about 2 months ago. We're lucky we had surgical removal of our mets, that gives us a better chance for a cure. I'm now taking a bunch of supplements, eating better, exercising and doing cannabis oil to hopefully keep cancer away. My next scan is in January at UCSF. Good luck to you and keep fighting!

Easyflip/Richard

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    And I'm....

a 55 (for one more month) year old Dudette with two children. Diagnosed Stage IIIB then bumped up to Stage IV when scans discover a single met to the liver. I had my met Ablated and not resected. 

I am glad that you have found this forum, filled with fun people who are battling, have battled, are loving someone who is battled, or who have lost someone who has battled this insiduous disease. We are a great bunch. 

You'll find information, good times and bad shared here. 

Buckle your belt up, as we do suffer losses of those we have become so close to. Too many, but its the nature of the beast. Be strong, and know that there is no reason why you can't beat this. 

Sue - Trubrit

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Very Similar to my husband

Hi Scott and welcome.  your experience sounds very similar to my husband's (minus the bowel perforation).  He had a colon resection in December 2012 and was given a stage II diagnosis.  He went through 12 rounds of chemo, Folfox, and had 1 clear CT scan in August, 2013.  In November, 2013, he started having serious constipation and pain again.  CT and colonoscopy showed nothing until he ended up back in the ED in early January with another obstruction.  A horrendous 21 day stay at a terrible hospital with another tumor in his small intestines and another resection.  Once the tumor in his small intestines was found, GI group that did his colonoscopies wanted nothing to do with him.  Surgeons also ignored him for around 10 days in patient and former oncologist didn't see him until day 14 after I called his office (in the same hospital) to tell them he had more cancer found.  He contracted c-diff in that nasty hospital so oncologist would not touch him for another 6 weeks.  By the time we went back for an appt. with onc.  he told us (from the hall and after waiting 1 hour) while he was on the phone that there were 2 lymph nodes now involved - we all went "HUH?"  When did any lymph nodes get involved and why did they wait so long to tell us?  He said he was now stage IV since there was a reoccurrence and the lymph node tumors were treatable but not curable.  The next day we switched to a much better, bigger and more hopeful cancer center.  They immediately ordered a PET scan (the other onc told me several times he didn't need one) and started his new chemo the next week (Folfiri this time).  He had 4 treatments and then in May ended up back in the hospital with another obstruction and c-diff again.  On and off treatments due to other complications until August of this year.  2 hospitalizations in September with a blocked bile duct and blocked duodenum and cancer progressing ended treatment.  I hate to even tell you this, but he passed away 16 days ago.  He fought a dignified and courageous battle.

Keep your oncologist updated with any and all concerns.  The new center my husband went to took our calls at all hours and for any reason.  They were awesome.  Make sure you feel comfortable with all medical people you come in contact with and don't be afraid to complain or change.  It can be a hassle, but it's your life you're talking about.  Many people live long after stage IV diagnosis and reoccurences.  As long as your cancer is treatable and surgery is an option, you should do well.  I wish you luck.

Linda

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Welcome

I'm glad that you found these boards.  We aren't all the gloom and glad that you can see that.  This board can be so beneficial to you if have any questions or just needs someones experience.  Please don't look on the internet for infomation as it is so outdated and you can find so much more info here on this board.  There are a lot of people that have gone through the same thing that you are.  It can be a very scary place to be when you first start out.  Hope you get to feeling better very soon.  It's good to walk and not sit too long.  It hurts like heck but it will help you heal faster.

Kim