19 radiations done and 11 to go: why do I feel more anxious?

Hello

I am very surprised about how I feel: rather than feeling released to get closer to the end of radiation, I am getting anxious about the possible side effects; I have been extremely lucky that so far the side effects have been minimal. During my radiologyst check up, he expressed his surprise on how well I am holding....and now I am anxious about what can happen to me during the next 2 weeks. So far I have been stable and sometimes even better than the first week: good energy, my saliva is back, no more nausea, my tounge and gums inflammation are almost gone but I get scared to plunge from one day to another. 

Anybody else experienced the same emotion? CANNOT WAIT TO END THIS PERIOD AND TURN PAGE!

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    nice

Moki,

Just be thankful and count your lucky stars and if something comes along you will handle it.

Keep swallowing!

Matt

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Things may catch up soon

Moki,

Like you, I was doing fairly well after 4 weeks of Radiation. My Oncologist was surpirsed that I was holding up so well, I hadn't started his pain med's to that point either. He suggested that I start taking them the following week as the Radiation is cumulative and sure enough, the side effects started hitting me in week 5.

Each of us handles the treatments differently, so some have reactions sooner and some later. I was luckier than most I suppose. I weaned myself off the pain med's about 2 weeks after my final treatment.

As Matt stated, no matter what, keep swallowing so not to lose that motion.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• Shell_7801
    Shell_7801 Member Posts: 71
    Yes

I know exactly how you feel.  This coming week is my final week of radiation for a total of 7.  I am so anxious that I ran out my xanax script and am about to come out of my skin.  I too am being told that I'm doing well.  No feeding tube and minimal thrush/mouth sores.  My neck is burnt pretty good but not peeling.  My anxiety is the worst thing that I've had to deal with.  I want it over.   And the though of still "cooking" for 2 more weeks after last treatment puts me in a tailspin of emotion.  I think one way or the other we'll get through it.  Let's keep our eyes on the end.  It's almost here!

Shell

• Moki
    Moki Member Posts: 53

Yes

I know exactly how you feel.  This coming week is my final week of radiation for a total of 7.  I am so anxious that I ran out my xanax script and am about to come out of my skin.  I too am being told that I'm doing well.  No feeding tube and minimal thrush/mouth sores.  My neck is burnt pretty good but not peeling.  My anxiety is the worst thing that I've had to deal with.  I want it over.   And the though of still "cooking" for 2 more weeks after last treatment puts me in a tailspin of emotion.  I think one way or the other we'll get through it.  Let's keep our eyes on the end.  It's almost here!

Shell

I will be trying Xanax as well

Today I will try Xanax as well. I have been holding to medication till when I could, but today is the day. My neck skin is also pretty red and sensitive to touch and I woke up this morning with bitter taste and dry mouth: everything taste bad.

Shell, congratulations on your last week! Keep me posted.

Ciao

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Moki, stop worrying about

Moki, stop worrying about what may NOT happen.  for now thank God for your blessings and move forward.  it will be over before you know it and you'll wonder why you wasted so much time worrying about something you could do nothing about anyway.  hang in there.

God bless you,

dj