marciek
marciek Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I am new here and glad to have found this messageboard. I was diagnosed on july 31 of this year with OC. I thought I had a bowel blockage so i went to the er. To my surprise and thiers, I had a ovarian tumor the size of a grapefruit. I had been very bloated and just not feeling well. That night my mother passed away in the nursing home she was in.

Saw one woman surgeon who was horrible, so I called my gp, and he and my gyn got me into Womens and Infants in Providence RI. I live in Connecticut.With some strong insistence, I also got the best surgeon. Debulking and 7 days in the hospital....early stage 3. Recovery as you all know is tough. When I went back to see my surgeon, he told me he wanted me to try something called inter-peritoneal chemo, as welll as reg chemo 1 session. It hasn't been too bad except for the overwhelming fatigue. Little neasea, headaches, some belly pain. I am grateful no vomiting. 17 treatments under my belt.

Anyone here undergoing IP, or have gone thru it??? Of course I have depressed and anxious, as I had these before. Lots of support from family and friends, and husband, but, somehow unless you've gone thru it, you just don't understand. My husband has been great, but yet I feel he just can't really understand what I am going through. This morning I feel weak and just feel like crying. Most of the time I keep very positive. Am glad to have found all of you.

marciek

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    We are glad you found us

I never had ip chemo..but side effects are the same. What chemo are you getting ?i hope it is working and will get you to remission. Be patient with hubby..he is scared too. We are if you need us..stay strong....Val 

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member

We are glad you found us

I never had ip chemo..but side effects are the same. What chemo are you getting ?i hope it is working and will get you to remission. Be patient with hubby..he is scared too. We are if you need us..stay strong....Val 

Hi Marciek

As you're learning, this journey is a rollercoaster ride of emotions.  And that's okay and to be expected.  I too have no experience with IP chemo but hope it does its job in kicking your cancer's butt to the curb.  I'm glad you have family and a husband to support you, especially since you lost your mom so recently.  If your hubby is like mine, he wants to be supportive and strong and will instinctively try to hide his fears and anxieties.  Hold onto each other tightly and know that you have every reason to be hopeful about the future!

Please keep us posted when you can.

Warmly,

Kelly

• Hearty Pioneer
    Hearty Pioneer Member Posts: 158
    IP chemo

Yes, I had IP and IV chemo, 18 weeks. Week 1 IP  heated chemo, week 2 IP  heated & IV chemo, week 3 fluids. Repeated until 18 weeks had passed. I had some vomiting. I lost 70 pounds, I was not hungry. I am now 2 1/2 years NED- no evidence of disease. It worked for me. I have a wonderful oncologist! 

• khsherwood
    khsherwood Member Posts: 33 Member
    IP chemo

Hi Marciek, I was had surgery three weeks ago to remove my omentum, uterus and multiple biopsies all over my abdomen. On Friday I was told that I have Stage III C ovarian cancer. My oncologist wants me to do IP chemo for 18 weeks. I was going to start a new conversation here when I saw yours. I wanted to know if anyone else had done the IP chemo. My doc says that it is harsher than the IV in the arm but more effective in the end. He actually said that if I do it I could live another ten years. On Thursday we will have a meeting to discuss the details. The only problem is that I live in Maine and my doctor's hospital is in Boston. This is my second time having ovarian cancer but my first time having chemo. I have been seeing this doctor for five years and very happy with him.

So if there is anyone else out there who has had IP chemo and could talk about their experience please do so. Especially if you live in Maine or the Boston area. Thanks, Kelly

• Hearty Pioneer
    Hearty Pioneer Member Posts: 158

IP chemo

Hi Marciek, I was had surgery three weeks ago to remove my omentum, uterus and multiple biopsies all over my abdomen. On Friday I was told that I have Stage III C ovarian cancer. My oncologist wants me to do IP chemo for 18 weeks. I was going to start a new conversation here when I saw yours. I wanted to know if anyone else had done the IP chemo. My doc says that it is harsher than the IV in the arm but more effective in the end. He actually said that if I do it I could live another ten years. On Thursday we will have a meeting to discuss the details. The only problem is that I live in Maine and my doctor's hospital is in Boston. This is my second time having ovarian cancer but my first time having chemo. I have been seeing this doctor for five years and very happy with him.

So if there is anyone else out there who has had IP chemo and could talk about their experience please do so. Especially if you live in Maine or the Boston area. Thanks, Kelly

Ask away

I had IP chemo. Happy to share my experiences.

• kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    I had IP chemo

through a port inserted during my debulking surgery.  My schedule was IP taxol on day one, IP cisplatin on day two and IV taxol on day eight.  I had a hard time with it which included a couple of hospital stays.  My onc cancelled the last infusion.  I am getting chemo now and ended in the hospital after their first infusion.  My dosage was adjusted and I made it through the second one with only the queasiness.  I had third one on Tuesday and so far only queasy.  I didn't know dosage can be adjusted.  It has really made a difference.  Keep that in mind to ask if it gets rough.  Best of luck.

Karen 

• kimberly sue 63
    kimberly sue 63 Member Posts: 421 Member
    Welcome...we all know where

Welcome...we all know where you are and will be here for you. I've reached out to this board many times in my time of need.  Kim