Taxol and Neulasta shot getting me down

Options
bonbondidit
bonbondidit Member Posts: 116

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted. I have finished my A/C rounds thankfully and was looking forward to the lesser strength chemo, Taxol.  I have had 4 of the neulasta shots after each of my a/c treatments with no problem. So  when I tool my Taxol round everything seemed to be fine that first night. I did get a little stomach pain but nothing serious. The next day following Taxol I received the same neaulasta shot I had previously been given. All was well and as we were making out way home, my jaw got about stiff and achy. As the hours went on I became seriously in pain almost debilitating. I am now on my fifth day after my first Taxol and 4th day after receiving my neulasta shot. Just last night my face turned red like a bad sunburn. But this morning it's in red patches on my face. I spoke to the doc yesterday as I put a call in to discuss these side effects. They said this is not normal for this bad of pain and to take benedryl and call back in the morning which is what I have done. I cannot go through this again and do not want permanent consequences. My pain regiment so far is two alieves and a hydrocordone pill. This took the edge off but just the edge. I almost can't hold my body weight when I walk. Am I safe to stop this? So confused....

Sorry for the rant~

Bonbon

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    So sorry

I'm so sorry to hear you going through this. It seems like every round gets worse doesn't it? Since you finished A/C, aren't you almost done? How many more Taxols to come? Just when you think you can't stand anymore, it'll all be over, so hang in there. And you can rant all you want to! Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Anna

• bonbondidit
    Options
    button2 said:

So sorry

I'm so sorry to hear you going through this. It seems like every round gets worse doesn't it? Since you finished A/C, aren't you almost done? How many more Taxols to come? Just when you think you can't stand anymore, it'll all be over, so hang in there. And you can rant all you want to! Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Anna

I have three more Taxols and

I have three more Taxols and then done but the thought of doing them if this is my reaction is that I don't want to do it at all. Of course I want to be cancer free so I will most likely do a smaller dose and see how it works for me.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options

I have three more Taxols and

I have three more Taxols and then done but the thought of doing them if this is my reaction is that I don't want to do it at all. Of course I want to be cancer free so I will most likely do a smaller dose and see how it works for me.

Just make sure your doctor is

Just make sure your doctor is aware of your problems. They can adjust things accordingly. Getting thru chemo means taking proper medicines for the various side effects. By the end, I had a slew of simple medicines like for mouth sores, bloody nose, super dry skin, cortisone for huge rashes on my IV arm etc. It really makes it easier to get thru it if you feel you are doing something. Napping, taking walks, drinking water and eating right are key too. Don't give up, you can do this!!! Best, Anna

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Less Strength Taxol?

I always was told that Taxol was Super Strength...not Lesser Strength.   I hope you will call again and maybe tell him it is not working....he may need to adjust the dosage next time.  I could not do alleves....I took two Extra Strength tylenols every 6 hours for about 6 months.......the Onc told me I was blessed with perfect kidneys......but I also never had the terrible pain you are speaking of....am just so sorry you are going thru this. I'm betting this is your reaction to the taxol.  Prayers for better news.... 

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Taxol was my last four

Taxol was my last four infusions.  I had reactions the last two infusions, but with a bag of benadryl the first time, Imy system calmed down enough to resume the taxol.  The next time I got extra benadryl at the start, but had  reaction.  I had a bag of some oher drug an was able to resume the taxol.  I managed to finish all my treatments on schedule.   I had the neulasta shots, too.   I had more achiness the last few weeks of chemo.  That tended to be in my hips and would be for just a few days after chemo.  

My issues were more with breathing the last few weeks.  Taking deep breaths would set of fits of coughing.   Some days -- not too many -- if I moved about faster than slow, I had problems. What my onc did ws hve me take allergy pills.  That was a big help.  Once chemo ws done, the breathing isues quickly cleared up.

We all seem to vary in how we handle our chemo, but I know it can be helpful to have ideas of what to maybe expect.

Keep the end in mind.

I am two years in remission.

• bonbondidit
    Options

Taxol was my last four

Taxol was my last four infusions.  I had reactions the last two infusions, but with a bag of benadryl the first time, Imy system calmed down enough to resume the taxol.  The next time I got extra benadryl at the start, but had  reaction.  I had a bag of some oher drug an was able to resume the taxol.  I managed to finish all my treatments on schedule.   I had the neulasta shots, too.   I had more achiness the last few weeks of chemo.  That tended to be in my hips and would be for just a few days after chemo.  

My issues were more with breathing the last few weeks.  Taking deep breaths would set of fits of coughing.   Some days -- not too many -- if I moved about faster than slow, I had problems. What my onc did ws hve me take allergy pills.  That was a big help.  Once chemo ws done, the breathing isues quickly cleared up.

We all seem to vary in how we handle our chemo, but I know it can be helpful to have ideas of what to maybe expect.

Keep the end in mind.

I am two years in remission.

Pain is getting a little better

Thank you for the replies - I am getting blessed with some relief. The aleve's are starting to help more than the other days.  There was 20 minutes of no pain at all and it was GREAT relief. My pain did try to return little here and there in different spots but the overall agony was lifted. I am on my 6th day and it's still trying to hang on. Hopefully this will pass soon. Yes I will diffinately ask for a stronger pain med and ask to have the Taxol reduced in dosage. I only have three more chemo's to go and done! Than off to radiation. I wonder how much I will have to have? I will ask next time I go in. I am a stage 3A.

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options

Thank you for the replies - I am getting blessed with some relief. The aleve's are starting to help more than the other days.  There was 20 minutes of no pain at all and it was GREAT relief. My pain did try to return little here and there in different spots but the overall agony was lifted. I am on my 6th day and it's still trying to hang on. Hopefully this will pass soon. Yes I will diffinately ask for a stronger pain med and ask to have the Taxol reduced in dosage. I only have three more chemo's to go and done! Than off to radiation. I wonder how much I will have to have? I will ask next time I go in. I am a stage 3A.

My dr had me take
    something b4 getting the Neulesta shot. I am thinking it was Claritan. I didnt take anything with the cirst shot and evedything hurt. I was telling his nurse and she told me to take something(it has been a while and I am not positive it was Clarita), but those shots had their own set od s/e.
    Havent been on taxol.
    Talk to your Onco nurse. She should know what it is!
    Sorry you are going thru this
    Carol
  • Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

claritin and neulasta

Yes, Carol, it was regular Claritin that many have found helpful with the Neulasta shot. Some oncs know about it, some don't - mine didn't but had no problems with me trying it. I took a regular Claritin the day before the Neulasta shot, the day of, and daily for several days after. Was also told to make sure I was getting lots of protein (my dietician wanted me to have 70 gm protein every day during chemo and rads to help body repair work). I had no severe pain from my Neulasta shots, just had to take 1 ibuprofen for some minor leg throbbing.

• WildernessGirl
    WildernessGirl Member Posts: 58 Member
    Options

claritin and neulasta

Yes, Carol, it was regular Claritin that many have found helpful with the Neulasta shot. Some oncs know about it, some don't - mine didn't but had no problems with me trying it. I took a regular Claritin the day before the Neulasta shot, the day of, and daily for several days after. Was also told to make sure I was getting lots of protein (my dietician wanted me to have 70 gm protein every day during chemo and rads to help body repair work). I had no severe pain from my Neulasta shots, just had to take 1 ibuprofen for some minor leg throbbing.

Claritin and Neulasta

Yes the claritin (regular 24 hr kind) taken day before, day of and several days after Neulasta shot helped immensely with me too.  My onc did not tell me about it but a friend of mine that was one cycle ahead of me with her chemo told me about it.  She missed the first time and was in a lot of pain.  Then started regimen for second cycle and it was much better.  I did ask my onc and he said he was fine with me taking it so I did. 

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Claritin and Neulasta

Yes the claritin (regular 24 hr kind) taken day before, day of and several days after Neulasta shot helped immensely with me too.  My onc did not tell me about it but a friend of mine that was one cycle ahead of me with her chemo told me about it.  She missed the first time and was in a lot of pain.  Then started regimen for second cycle and it was much better.  I did ask my onc and he said he was fine with me taking it so I did. 

Just Remembered

I just remembered something I told myself back during Chemo....when I was aching all over and thought the chemo was going to kill me....I remember I decided that if it felt that bad then it was probably doing some good.   There was a Battle going on inside me and my body was fighting like hell to stay alive.  I hope you get some relief next treatment.

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Just Remembered

I just remembered something I told myself back during Chemo....when I was aching all over and thought the chemo was going to kill me....I remember I decided that if it felt that bad then it was probably doing some good.   There was a Battle going on inside me and my body was fighting like hell to stay alive.  I hope you get some relief next treatment.

The claritin helped me a lot

The claritin helped me a lot - I would start it the day of chemo and take it for several days after my neulasta shot.

Try to hang in there and take the chemo.   It's doing it's job.  I had one treatment that literally took me 8 hrs to get the drugs in me.  But I hung in there and after that we knew we had to run them at a certain level and things were fine.

Keep us posted

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options

I'm a IIIA also.  I started

I'm a IIIA also.  I started rads about three weeks after my chemo (ACT) was done.  I think I had 33 days of rads.

I finished everything just a little over two years ago.  I am on a 10-year plan with hormonal therapy.

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I'm a IIIA also.  I started

I'm a IIIA also.  I started rads about three weeks after my chemo (ACT) was done.  I think I had 33 days of rads.

I finished everything just a little over two years ago.  I am on a 10-year plan with hormonal therapy.

I had 12 taxol. once a week.

I had 12 taxol. once a week. did not need neulasta. I have heard the claritin helps. (I had neulasta for the AC) . The face redness is the taxol rash. I had this. It also happens with  steroids too. Can they spread your taxol out?  Also take Vit Bg it may help with any neuropathy.

• MaggieCat
    MaggieCat Member Posts: 54
    Options
    carkris said:

I had 12 taxol. once a week.

I had 12 taxol. once a week. did not need neulasta. I have heard the claritin helps. (I had neulasta for the AC) . The face redness is the taxol rash. I had this. It also happens with  steroids too. Can they spread your taxol out?  Also take Vit Bg it may help with any neuropathy.

Carkris..would love more..

Please share your taxol/paclitaxel experience in more detail...heading there ( maybe ) and so want to have a clue (what to do from experience)... Maggie

• bonbondidit
    Options
    Taxol changed to once a week also radiation questions

Hi everyone,

I have been changed down from once every two weeks to once a week and it's worked fine. Occasionally I have a dull ache here and there but very minimum. ALso my Benedryl was lowered to 25 ml vs.  75.  I have 6 left to go.  I have some questions about radiadion. I have to do 30 rounds. I am starting to have some swelling in the arm that I had 18 lymph nodes removed from. Did radiation cause anyone problems?

Thank you for all your feedback :)

• MaggieCat
    MaggieCat Member Posts: 54
    Options

Taxol changed to once a week also radiation questions

Hi everyone,

I have been changed down from once every two weeks to once a week and it's worked fine. Occasionally I have a dull ache here and there but very minimum. ALso my Benedryl was lowered to 25 ml vs.  75.  I have 6 left to go.  I have some questions about radiadion. I have to do 30 rounds. I am starting to have some swelling in the arm that I had 18 lymph nodes removed from. Did radiation cause anyone problems?

Thank you for all your feedback :)

Arm Sleeve?

Met with the PT, advised to keep my arm sleeve at the ready when I go through radiation....

• bonbondidit
    Options

claritin and neulasta

Speaking of a dietician

Hi Puffin,

My smaller oncology building I go to isn't set up with a dietician but if I drive more into the city at the bigger Texas Oncology Medical buiding they do offer it there. That being said - did you feel you were giving a lot of good information and felt it served you well? What is the protocol for having a dietician? How many appointments do you generally have to set up for?  I have lost 21 pounds since Aug. 5th  which was about 4 pounds after surgery and the rest since starting chemo which was a  little over two 1/2 months ago. I was 197 at the first visit which is my largest when my Thyroid was out of control (normally 145-150.) My oncol put me on a series of Thyroid meds until it was perfected. My meds along with dense dose chemo really dropped my weight and lets not forget that high blood pressure med I was re-introduced to; that helped with water retension. I guess what I have struggled with is that I read how one should not be losing weight while on chemo, that it's not the ideal time for weight loss, yet I am dropping like crazy. On one hand I want to jump for joy as it's made me feel so much better - but is the vanity of this safe during this time? I did bring it to my docs attention and he was suprised that he didn't notice the weight loss, yet it's charted. He is the most wonderful doctor and he got pretty quite when I brought it to his attention this last visit. He has always gone over EVERYTHING with my labs tp perfection.  It's been cold and I have been wearing the same clothes but more layered. I always mean to write less lengthy posts but I guess I was born to write novels ;) Thanks for any advise.

Bonbon

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Speaking of a dietician

Hi Puffin,

My smaller oncology building I go to isn't set up with a dietician but if I drive more into the city at the bigger Texas Oncology Medical buiding they do offer it there. That being said - did you feel you were giving a lot of good information and felt it served you well? What is the protocol for having a dietician? How many appointments do you generally have to set up for?  I have lost 21 pounds since Aug. 5th  which was about 4 pounds after surgery and the rest since starting chemo which was a  little over two 1/2 months ago. I was 197 at the first visit which is my largest when my Thyroid was out of control (normally 145-150.) My oncol put me on a series of Thyroid meds until it was perfected. My meds along with dense dose chemo really dropped my weight and lets not forget that high blood pressure med I was re-introduced to; that helped with water retension. I guess what I have struggled with is that I read how one should not be losing weight while on chemo, that it's not the ideal time for weight loss, yet I am dropping like crazy. On one hand I want to jump for joy as it's made me feel so much better - but is the vanity of this safe during this time? I did bring it to my docs attention and he was suprised that he didn't notice the weight loss, yet it's charted. He is the most wonderful doctor and he got pretty quite when I brought it to his attention this last visit. He has always gone over EVERYTHING with my labs tp perfection.  It's been cold and I have been wearing the same clothes but more layered. I always mean to write less lengthy posts but I guess I was born to write novels ;) Thanks for any advise.

Bonbon

dietician consult

My oncologist told me the same thing, that she didn't want me losing weight during chemo. The dietician was listed as one of the people available on my "team". My first chemo caused my diverticulitis to flare up, so I had requested a consult with the dietician for suggestions on how to deal with that, and my chemo nurse just put me on the dietician's list to be seen. We had one session, besides giving me good suggestions for preventing future flare ups she also said I'd need more protein during both chemo and radiation for my body to use for repairing itself. She had calculated a goal of 70 gm protein/day for me, and reminded me that if I used a protein powder supplement to make sure it didn't have soy in it as my tumor was estrogen + (soy foods are OK if not being eaten every day, but a daily supplement should be soy free). The steroids with the chemo caused me to gain about 5 pounds but I've since lost those.

You have a lot of factors going on that can affect weight - the thyroid issues, BP meds, etc. Are you STILL losing or has it leveled off? If you're still losing, I guess I'd get a little more assertive with the doctor and getting an answer if he's OK with the weight loss.

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    MaggieCat said:

Arm Sleeve?

Met with the PT, advised to keep my arm sleeve at the ready when I go through radiation....

Sorry I did not see your

Sorry I did not see your post. Generally, I had a tough time with chemo. Taxol was better, but I had lots of GI issues. i had the rash but it went away. I do have peripheral neuropathy, I did not know about Vit B6 so am passing it on to you. Perhaps it would have helped. The neuropathy got better, but is stil there. I do think 12 weekly is better, and I did not need neulasta. Anyway I got through it.