Share the love. Share the joy.

Options
Trubrit
Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
edited November 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1

At this very moment, I am sat on my living room couch, listening to two Great-horned Owls calling outside in the desert snow. It is a wonderful sound. I confess, I ran right out there, in my robe, to see if I could locate them. 

For me, birds and bird watching bring me immense joy. 

I would love it if you would share what brings you joy.  Maybe we could keep this post rolling, sharing moments of our everyday life, that has made us happy, and taken our minds away from the word 'Cancer'. 

Sue - Trubrit

«1

Comments

  • jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Good idea Sue - I was woken

    Good idea Sue - I was woken up a couple of nights ago by an owl...whooing from 2 am to 4 am!  Not so joyful :)

    My baby brings me so much joy.   He is 3 and was our greatest surprise.  He was born months before my mom-in-law passed, 1 year before my husband was diagnosed, 3 yrs before my mom passed.   Every day I wonder what I'd do without him, to keep me smiling and amused.  The teenagers are okay too...at times... but they do not bring the fun of a 3 year old.  Sometimes I worry that I tell him too much just how special he is - hope it doesn't go to his head too much!   When he's feeling lovey, he grabs my face, looks into my eyes and says "what would I do without you?"  hehe...wonder where he learned that!

    Being on the beach, any time of year, brings me such peace.  Music or a book (though I haven't read a book in a long while)  and a warm cup of coffee or tea bring relaxation.  

     

  • JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    jen2012 said:

    Good idea Sue - I was woken

    Good idea Sue - I was woken up a couple of nights ago by an owl...whooing from 2 am to 4 am!  Not so joyful :)

    My baby brings me so much joy.   He is 3 and was our greatest surprise.  He was born months before my mom-in-law passed, 1 year before my husband was diagnosed, 3 yrs before my mom passed.   Every day I wonder what I'd do without him, to keep me smiling and amused.  The teenagers are okay too...at times... but they do not bring the fun of a 3 year old.  Sometimes I worry that I tell him too much just how special he is - hope it doesn't go to his head too much!   When he's feeling lovey, he grabs my face, looks into my eyes and says "what would I do without you?"  hehe...wonder where he learned that!

    Being on the beach, any time of year, brings me such peace.  Music or a book (though I haven't read a book in a long while)  and a warm cup of coffee or tea bring relaxation.  

     

    What a great idea! And odd

    What a great idea! And odd that you both mention owls because I heard two calling to each other late last night and I haven't heard any for months. My daughter and husband bring me joy, of course, as do our dogs. But my biggest moment in the last while was the first day I got to go see my horse after my surgery. I could hardly walk and had to sit in a chair but a friend brought him in and he came right up to me and started kissing me and nuzzling me on the face. And just stood with me for the longest time. I finally had to have her take him back and leave so I don't know how long he'd have been happy to stay with me.

     

  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    My wife
    All of my

    My wife

    All of my animals

    Good food

    Mountain biking

    Motorcycle riding

    Kayaking

    ATV riding

  • Trapbear
    Trapbear Member Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    Christopher and I

    Hi Sue,

    Christopher and I loved watching birds together as well.  We have a home in Mendocino county and Christopher's favorites were the California quail, which he called pom poms because of their little head feathers.  Several times a year we also get to see pileated woodpeckers, quite a site!  Also fun to watch the deer, rabbits, and even foxes!

    Bill 

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Trapbear said:

    Hi Sue,
    Christopher and I

    Hi Sue,

    Christopher and I loved watching birds together as well.  We have a home in Mendocino county and Christopher's favorites were the California quail, which he called pom poms because of their little head feathers.  Several times a year we also get to see pileated woodpeckers, quite a site!  Also fun to watch the deer, rabbits, and even foxes!

    Bill 

    Just for you

    Here is a chunky little California Quail on my deck.  It is good to hear from you.

    image

  • lilacbrroller
    lilacbrroller Member Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Trubrit said:

    Just for you

    Here is a chunky little California Quail on my deck.  It is good to hear from you.

    image

    Love boat

    my avatar and name refer to the lilac breasted roller, a beautiful little bird indigenous to Southern Africa.  starlings there are sparkly and beautiful, colored in shades of,turquoise and I think even green. here on the east coast us, starlings are drab brown. So I like birds too and appreciate posted pics of unusual ones you all see.  In my dreams I imagine myself flying. I really wish I could be a bird and fly,  I did actually try hang gliding but I landed on my nose, wile-e-coyote style!  Awful but funny, and luckily nothing broke.

    lots of,things bring me joy. Lately my cable company shows love boat reruns on a particular channel, as a throw back Thursday stunt. It's a schmaltzy show where everything ends happily - sigh. It's never been in reruns I don't think, and it was a fave of mine as a kid in the 70s. And it's fun to,see stars that have made it now - a thin Kathy Bates, and Jeffrey Tambor younger with brown hair. Great joy!

    Karin

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options

    Love boat

    my avatar and name refer to the lilac breasted roller, a beautiful little bird indigenous to Southern Africa.  starlings there are sparkly and beautiful, colored in shades of,turquoise and I think even green. here on the east coast us, starlings are drab brown. So I like birds too and appreciate posted pics of unusual ones you all see.  In my dreams I imagine myself flying. I really wish I could be a bird and fly,  I did actually try hang gliding but I landed on my nose, wile-e-coyote style!  Awful but funny, and luckily nothing broke.

    lots of,things bring me joy. Lately my cable company shows love boat reruns on a particular channel, as a throw back Thursday stunt. It's a schmaltzy show where everything ends happily - sigh. It's never been in reruns I don't think, and it was a fave of mine as a kid in the 70s. And it's fun to,see stars that have made it now - a thin Kathy Bates, and Jeffrey Tambor younger with brown hair. Great joy!

    Karin

    That is so funny

    My husband was just (as in ten minutes ago) flicking through channels and stopped on 'Love Boat'. We watched the credits, and wondered where the people are now. Even the theme tune brought on nostalgic feeling.

  • fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Good Things

    Thanks for another good Idea Sue.

    These are my top 4:

    The lovely Wife

    Children, all three girls

    Grandchildren, 3 1/2 

    Motorcycle riding

    Pets: 2 dogs (Choclate Lab and GSD), cat and North American Red Eared Slider (Turtle).  I enjoy watchinig the turtle try to catch the minniws that share his tank.  They are too fast for him but he continue to try.  Gotta love his persistence.

     

     

  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Besides chocolate....

     

    Hmmm...I've been sitting here thinking about this, and sadly, I can only think of one thing that makes me smile - my cat Sophie.   I got her to help bring me out of my depression, and she has indeed brought a lot of joy to my life.  :)  On reflection, I guess I need to strive to somehow bring more happiness to my life. :)  So, thanks for making me think about this, it's a good thing, but it looks like I have some work to do!  :)

  • Cathleen Mary
    Cathleen Mary Member Posts: 827 Member
    Options

    Good Things

    Thanks for another good Idea Sue.

    These are my top 4:

    The lovely Wife

    Children, all three girls

    Grandchildren, 3 1/2 

    Motorcycle riding

    Pets: 2 dogs (Choclate Lab and GSD), cat and North American Red Eared Slider (Turtle).  I enjoy watchinig the turtle try to catch the minniws that share his tank.  They are too fast for him but he continue to try.  Gotta love his persistence.

     

     

    Sue,
    What a lovely idea!

    Sue,

    What a lovely idea!  The very thought of it brought a smile to my face. My nieces and nephews bring me great joy, as does a walk on the beach, the first ( only the first!) snowfall, a good book, or a quiet Sunday afternoon with the NYT.

    Someone once said (memory fails me) "joy and sorrow are sisters. They live in the same house."  I wish every one on this forum much joy. 

    CM

  • UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Joy

    Smile

    My family brings me great joy. My beautiful granddaughter is 14 months old and is the light of my life. When my son knows I am having a difficult day, he sends me videos of my granddaughter. The last one was my granddaughter dancing to the music Happy from Frozen. 

    Great idea, Sue!

    Lin

  • Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Good idea Sue!

    I have pet seahorses and I thought I bought 2 females, until.... they had babies! That brought quite a bit of excitement to the house and I was a proud grandpappy, my daughter was especially excited. Sooo it's really hard to tell a male from a female seahorse! Lol

     

    Easyflip/Richard

  • Yolllmbs
    Yolllmbs Member Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Easyflip said:

    Good idea Sue!

    I have pet seahorses and I thought I bought 2 females, until.... they had babies! That brought quite a bit of excitement to the house and I was a proud grandpappy, my daughter was especially excited. Sooo it's really hard to tell a male from a female seahorse! Lol

     

    Easyflip/Richard

    Joy

      My greatest joy is watching my 20 month old twin grandsons as they discover new things. Everytime they are around (they live close) their eyes just twinkle with new mischief. My husband and the other kids, grandkids just smile at their wonderment. I noticed how quick we are to jump to protect them. We all strive to make their day happy. As I look around, I realize they do that for me too. It's a good place to be.

     

    Yolanda

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Splish splash, I was taking a bath

    Today I danced in the bath. Yep, you heard me right. I knew it was going to happen when I took the Bose speaker and my 70's playlist in with me, so I put extra towels on the floor around the bath.

    Let me tell you, dancing in the bath (laying down) is really fun. There's a certain freedom that water gives the body. And of course, the acoustics in the bathroom are perfect for singing away to your favourite music. 

    My most move worthy songs were Saturday Night at the Movies, I will Survive, Don't leave me this Way, Play that Funy Music, You Sexy Thing, I'm So Excited.... Oh, the list goes on. 

    What did you do today, that made you happy? 

    Sue - Trubrit

  • JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Trubrit said:

    Splish splash, I was taking a bath

    Today I danced in the bath. Yep, you heard me right. I knew it was going to happen when I took the Bose speaker and my 70's playlist in with me, so I put extra towels on the floor around the bath.

    Let me tell you, dancing in the bath (laying down) is really fun. There's a certain freedom that water gives the body. And of course, the acoustics in the bathroom are perfect for singing away to your favourite music. 

    My most move worthy songs were Saturday Night at the Movies, I will Survive, Don't leave me this Way, Play that Funy Music, You Sexy Thing, I'm So Excited.... Oh, the list goes on. 

    What did you do today, that made you happy? 

    Sue - Trubrit

    Sue, you're so cute, that's

    Sue, you're so cute, that's fabulous!

    I just had an experience at Wal-Mart that was very nice and brought me to tears because strangers can be so kind. I was sitting at the front waiting for my husband to go through the checkout and one of the cashiers asked if I was okay. I said I was and she asked if I needed a glass of water. I told her no, it's okay, it's just chemo fatigue. She then asked my name so she could say a prayer for me and asked if I'd like a hug. I said I'd love one so she gave me a hug and said she wants me to check in with her when this is over and let her see how I'm doing. Sometimes the kindness of strangers means more than from those you know.

    That being said, one friend used her day off to go with me to Chemo on Monday and another friend bought me wonderful boot/slippers in Vegas and they're heloing so much with the foot cold sensitivity.

    Jan

  • sharpy102
    sharpy102 Member Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

    Sue, you're so cute, that's

    Sue, you're so cute, that's fabulous!

    I just had an experience at Wal-Mart that was very nice and brought me to tears because strangers can be so kind. I was sitting at the front waiting for my husband to go through the checkout and one of the cashiers asked if I was okay. I said I was and she asked if I needed a glass of water. I told her no, it's okay, it's just chemo fatigue. She then asked my name so she could say a prayer for me and asked if I'd like a hug. I said I'd love one so she gave me a hug and said she wants me to check in with her when this is over and let her see how I'm doing. Sometimes the kindness of strangers means more than from those you know.

    That being said, one friend used her day off to go with me to Chemo on Monday and another friend bought me wonderful boot/slippers in Vegas and they're heloing so much with the foot cold sensitivity.

    Jan

    Still searching for the joy

    Still searching for the joy in my life...my days are pretty grey...o.O School, school, school and work, work and work. But the thought of what I'm trying to achieve does bring hopes and smiles to me.

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Happy news for me today

    I went to the Dentist. How I hate the Dentist. I hate it even more than chemo......well, maybe not, but it comes close. 

    Anyway, this was the first trip since my Cancer journey started, and I confess, I was a little worried, knowing how chemo can cause havoc with teeth. 

    After looking at the x-rays and poking around, he sat back, quite stunned and told me that there were no problems. He was quite shocked. 

    I do have something called Torus Mandibularis, but he's going to keep that at bay with a mouth gaurd. 

    Needless to say, I am rather happy. 

    Smiley happy 111.GIF  Sue - Trubrit

  • Yolllmbs
    Yolllmbs Member Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Trubrit said:

    Happy news for me today

    I went to the Dentist. How I hate the Dentist. I hate it even more than chemo......well, maybe not, but it comes close. 

    Anyway, this was the first trip since my Cancer journey started, and I confess, I was a little worried, knowing how chemo can cause havoc with teeth. 

    After looking at the x-rays and poking around, he sat back, quite stunned and told me that there were no problems. He was quite shocked. 

    I do have something called Torus Mandibularis, but he's going to keep that at bay with a mouth gaurd. 

    Needless to say, I am rather happy. 

    Smiley happy 111.GIF  Sue - Trubrit

    Happy Dance

    Sorry for the delay in response, I got behind.  (I was taking care of the twins and had no energy for anything else).  I love running outside in the rain.  I certainly haven't done it in a long time... BUT just wait till the next rainstorm...

     

    Yolanda

  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Thankful

    I'm thankful for my wonderful husband that has helped me through these difficult years

    My children and other family members

    My God who has given me many Blessing this Thanksgiving (He is my first joy)

    The ability to still get up out of bed and go to McDonalds in the morning for coffee because that still means I'm able to keep some normalcy in my life.  Love their coffee anyway.

    The people on this board that has let me rant, give thanks, listen to my feelings, been there to help me through, encourage me when I'm down, celebrate with me with a victory.  You all are wonderful.

    Hugs!  Kim

  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    Good idea, Sue!

    my sweet boy (now a strapping 10 year old) brings me joy

    and my little great-niece

    the sight of holiday lights going up around the neighborhood

    and the color of the sky on a stormy day

    the sound of the ocean waves on the beach

    and the smell of a forest when you first step into it 

     

     

    As hard as life is, I'm very glad to get to still be here to experience those moments.

    (and on the topic of owls, I heard one for the first time ever on a hike this fall, and one of my kids saw one in the middle of the city!)