Irinotecan

Options
UncleBuddy
UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member

My brother has been off chemo for 6 weeks because of a low ejection fraction rate (25%). His cardiologist felt that his body needed a rest. He put him on digoxin to see if it helps to strengthen the heart muscle. Thee will restart chemo in another week. They are going to give him irinotecan. For now, they will start at a low dose and see how he does. This drug tends to give diarreah from what the doc said, so it may not work for him since diarreah has been an issue for him. He will have an echo cardiogram in January to see if the ejection fraction rate has improved. He just had a CT scan last week. 2 of his lung nodules grew in the 5 weeks since he stopped chemo. One of the nodules went from 3 mm to 5. Is that a big jump? Has anyone else been on irinotecan alone? I'm working on getting dad and my brother transportation because it has been very difficult for me. 

On a better note, I threw my daughter a baby shower this weekend. It was great to see her so happy. Our grandson will be here in a couple of months. Our kitchen remodel is just about done. Now I have to paint the rest of the house before the holidays because Christmas is at our house this year. Smile

I think of all of you often. I pop in when I can to check up on you guys, but I've been really busy trying to figure things out. I hope Maxiecat checks in with us soon.

Lin

PS I made an appointment for dad with a neurologist to see what's going on with him. Is it dementia or alzheimers? Dad is angry right now because we won't let him drive until we see the doctor and he gives him the okay (which I am sure he won't do). We have to worry about others on the road.  He has been having issues with HBP because he keeps buying high sodium foods. I had to go shopping with both of them to show them how to check foods for sodium. They are both on low sodium diets. There was a time when I just let them eat whatever they wanted, but with all these dr visits and medical issues, I think I need to be more vigilant.

Lin

Comments

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I dont think his lung nodule

I dont think his lung nodule growth is big considering ha has been off ehemo for 5 weeks. It is still tiny. About the size of a pea.

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I dont think his lung nodule

I dont think his lung nodule growth is big considering ha has been off ehemo for 5 weeks. It is still tiny. About the size of a pea.

Thanks Jeff

I knew it was still small, I was just wondering if that was considered a big increase for 5 weeks. It is one of many  nodules. I think he has 7-8 nodules located in both lungs.Honestly, I worry more about the chemo side effects and his heart than I do the cancer itself. I'm having a hard time getting him and dad to cut down on sodium. He was hospitalzed last year with fluid around the heart.