Going to MD Anderson for Oncology Evalation

Options
MaggieCat
MaggieCat Member Posts: 54

Any MD Anderson folks on this board?  I have a tentative appt for 5 days beginning this coming Monday.  Other appointments ( local oncologists and UNC-CH Clinical Trial principal investigator/oncologist discussion) are on-hold pending the outcome of new tests.

Comments

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    waiting

sending prayers that you get answers and a plan at MD Anderson

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    My brother was treated at MD

My brother was treated at MD Anderson during his battle with CML.    I was there during his bone marrow transplant.   I felt like it was a truly remarkable place.  My sister was the donor and they went out of their way to help us during this time.   My SIL stayed the entire time they were there - several months and she's had nothing but good things to say about it.

Prayers are with you.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Lilly9 said:

My brother was treated at MD

My brother was treated at MD Anderson during his battle with CML.    I was there during his bone marrow transplant.   I felt like it was a truly remarkable place.  My sister was the donor and they went out of their way to help us during this time.   My SIL stayed the entire time they were there - several months and she's had nothing but good things to say about it.

Prayers are with you.

Positive thoughts, and prayers for you Maggie Cat

..  our Cypress Cynthia has been to MD Anderson as well...  Hoping CC has an opportunity to see this post.

Gentle hugs,

Vicki Sam

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    We will think the best

MaggieCat, hope all goes well while you are there and you will find the right treatment plan for you.  (HUGS)  Pixie

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    MD Andersen

Hi,

I went to MD Andersen in Orlando, Florida.  The team was quite remarkable.  Surgeon, oncologist, radiation oncologist.  They are all published physicians, up to date on all protocols.  I doubt if MD Andersen in Texas could have done a better job.

Good luck,

Sharon

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Back in 1980s

Back in the 1980s my sister in law went to the one in Houston.  She had the bone marrow transplant ..a double mastectomy and had her chemo thru a Hickman Port...that was a long time ago.    She had waited too long however to seek help after she found her lump...BECAUSE OF NOT HAVING INSURANCE.   She died within two years at the age of 56.    Today we have so much more...so many options now....but many are still facing problems with their Insurance....like Carol  (Camul)    Praying that M.D.A. does all good things for you Maggie......and proud of you for seeking out the best you can find and for getting second opinions etc...  too many just think that the docs know it all and sadly they do not.....they do the best they can but are only human.   Praying for good results and keep us posted.  Love and hugs.  Glo     PS....I posted something about your Taxol question on another thread....  I chose FAC for my chemo back in 2002.........was offered TAXOL but decided to try the other first.   Go with your brains and your gut feelings about it is my advice. ***

• MaggieCat
    MaggieCat Member Posts: 54
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Back in 1980s

Back in the 1980s my sister in law went to the one in Houston.  She had the bone marrow transplant ..a double mastectomy and had her chemo thru a Hickman Port...that was a long time ago.    She had waited too long however to seek help after she found her lump...BECAUSE OF NOT HAVING INSURANCE.   She died within two years at the age of 56.    Today we have so much more...so many options now....but many are still facing problems with their Insurance....like Carol  (Camul)    Praying that M.D.A. does all good things for you Maggie......and proud of you for seeking out the best you can find and for getting second opinions etc...  too many just think that the docs know it all and sadly they do not.....they do the best they can but are only human.   Praying for good results and keep us posted.  Love and hugs.  Glo     PS....I posted something about your Taxol question on another thread....  I chose FAC for my chemo back in 2002.........was offered TAXOL but decided to try the other first.   Go with your brains and your gut feelings about it is my advice. ***

OH Glow... thanks!

Really appreciate your post elsewhere on the Taxol question!!!!  I'm on the fence on Taxol.  Don't want to go there... But.  My better half retires in 4 years. What about growing old together (honestly didn't equate that with a fairy tale)....   The ugly side of aggressive HER2 is might not get there, even with herceptin... hey, only 10 - 20 % don't... "your mileage may differ"!!!

P.S.  Have to agree with your insurance comments!  I am being VERY careful, trying to stay within the "fine print". Geez Lou-ez!

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    MaggieCat said:

OH Glow... thanks!

Really appreciate your post elsewhere on the Taxol question!!!!  I'm on the fence on Taxol.  Don't want to go there... But.  My better half retires in 4 years. What about growing old together (honestly didn't equate that with a fairy tale)....   The ugly side of aggressive HER2 is might not get there, even with herceptin... hey, only 10 - 20 % don't... "your mileage may differ"!!!

P.S.  Have to agree with your insurance comments!  I am being VERY careful, trying to stay within the "fine print". Geez Lou-ez!

Better Half

Better Half for me died in 1998....I was 61 back then and not ready to be a widow  and I thought we would grow old together too.   Life is hard and then we die.  I have learned to let go of the "might not's"  and the "maybe's".....and I feel much better for it.   Today I go to see my Regular MD for my Yearly ck up with him and plan to ask his advice on whether or not to keep seeing my Cancer Oncologist (the new young one since my wonderful old one had the nerve to retire this year) or to maybe just let my MD Doc do the CA27-29 ....which is something that showed up at 47 in Sept and I have to get it redone...maybe I will have Mets this time?  Maybe NOT***   I'm going with the NOT...  :)   Hang in there Maggie...whatever happens we send you love and prayers and hugs.........  glo   One last edit......regular doc said NOWAY...I have to stay with my new Onc.......oh well