11th hour, 11th day, 11th month -

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

Armistice Day - the last day of WWI - 'The War' that was supposed to end all war.  It is now called Veterans Day in the States. (I think its 'Rememberance Day' in Canada)  Please take a momment tomorrow to think, especially about the young men and women who are often far from home and loved ones at this time.  Also to remember all who are no longer Active Duty but did their time, as did their families.  More importantly, remember those who have made the ultimate  sacrifice.

Winyan - The Power Witthin

Susan

Comments

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    yes

It is important we take time to do this AND teach our kids and grandkids to do the same.

My father, now almost 92, is a proud veteran, serving in the South Pacific in WW II.  One of his brothers also served.  My mother's two brothers served, one losing his life when his plane was shot down over the south Pacific.

I have ancestors who fought in the War for Independence with Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys.  I have ones who fought in the Civil War, one contracting a disease that killed him before war's end.  My grandfther ws a WW I vet.

I have/have had cousins and their sons serve in the Army, Navy, and Air Force.

My husband's nephew is a career Marine, serving in Afghanistan twice and earning honors.   He was part of a group honored earlier this year at the White House.

I am thankful for them, as well as others.

• Rague

yes

It is important we take time to do this AND teach our kids and grandkids to do the same.

My father, now almost 92, is a proud veteran, serving in the South Pacific in WW II.  One of his brothers also served.  My mother's two brothers served, one losing his life when his plane was shot down over the south Pacific.

I have ancestors who fought in the War for Independence with Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys.  I have ones who fought in the Civil War, one contracting a disease that killed him before war's end.  My grandfther ws a WW I vet.

I have/have had cousins and their sons serve in the Army, Navy, and Air Force.

My husband's nephew is a career Marine, serving in Afghanistan twice and earning honors.   He was part of a group honored earlier this year at the White House.

I am thankful for them, as well as others.

Please tell your Dad I so

Please tell your Dad I so appreciate him and I would love to salute him - even if his was Enlisted.  (Be so happy you still have him.)  I lost Daddy in 1985.  He was pre-Pearl Harbor Infantry (his cousin was at Pearl).,  Daddy had gone in D-Day +1. He was stationed in France during the Korean Conflict so we were there.  We visited so many cemetaries and battlefields he had been at.  Mom didn't want to go with him - so I did.  It all still empacts me today - thankfully!

Dad (FIL) had been Korea and 'Nam. Wish I knew more but I don't.

I (and Hubby) have ancestors who were here long before the Revolution.  We both have family who fought on both sided of the War Between The States.   

Hubby is retired Navy, I was Army.

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Rague said:

Please tell your Dad I so

Please tell your Dad I so appreciate him and I would love to salute him - even if his was Enlisted.  (Be so happy you still have him.)  I lost Daddy in 1985.  He was pre-Pearl Harbor Infantry (his cousin was at Pearl).,  Daddy had gone in D-Day +1. He was stationed in France during the Korean Conflict so we were there.  We visited so many cemetaries and battlefields he had been at.  Mom didn't want to go with him - so I did.  It all still empacts me today - thankfully!

Dad (FIL) had been Korea and 'Nam. Wish I knew more but I don't.

I (and Hubby) have ancestors who were here long before the Revolution.  We both have family who fought on both sided of the War Between The States.   

Hubby is retired Navy, I was Army.

I lived in the DC area for

I lived in the DC area for eight years, when I was growing up.  One of my favorite things to do was go to Arlington Cemetery and watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.  Always I'd get goosebumps.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I lived in the DC area for

I lived in the DC area for eight years, when I was growing up.  One of my favorite things to do was go to Arlington Cemetery and watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.  Always I'd get goosebumps.

Semfer Fi

My father served as a Sargent in the Marines

• Rague
    VickiSam said:

Semfer Fi

My father served as a Sargent in the Marines

Thank You to VickiSam's Dad!

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Rague said:

Yesterday*

Neat Post ....thanks....  I spent almost all day yesterday posting pix of my family and then just posts on Face Book in Rememberance of Ancestors who fought for this wonderful country....from many I have found on Ancestry dot com who fought in the Revolutionary War...to the War of 1812...to the Spanish American War....  The Civil War was so different and tore us up so badly ...I found ancestors who fought on both sides there.... then WW 1  and WW 2....My Dad was with the Third Army in France during WW2....my brother in law in Viet Nam....My nephew in Desert Storm....my husband WW2 in Navy ..first occupiers of Japan after the A Bomb.... my husband's grandson serves today as an Officer in the US Naval Air Force...very proud of him.    Many many friends went to Korea...many did not return.    Proud to be an American and Proud of the Greatest Country on Earth.   Watched that Documentary last nite and will watch last of it tonite about Killing Bin Laden on Fox at Ten PM......those Navy Seals are FANTASTIC***   GOD BLESS AMERICA...  and May God Bless all of you Ladies who are such Brave Warriors Yourselves.  xxoo  G

• Rague
    GlowMore said:

Yesterday*

Neat Post ....thanks....  I spent almost all day yesterday posting pix of my family and then just posts on Face Book in Rememberance of Ancestors who fought for this wonderful country....from many I have found on Ancestry dot com who fought in the Revolutionary War...to the War of 1812...to the Spanish American War....  The Civil War was so different and tore us up so badly ...I found ancestors who fought on both sides there.... then WW 1  and WW 2....My Dad was with the Third Army in France during WW2....my brother in law in Viet Nam....My nephew in Desert Storm....my husband WW2 in Navy ..first occupiers of Japan after the A Bomb.... my husband's grandson serves today as an Officer in the US Naval Air Force...very proud of him.    Many many friends went to Korea...many did not return.    Proud to be an American and Proud of the Greatest Country on Earth.   Watched that Documentary last nite and will watch last of it tonite about Killing Bin Laden on Fox at Ten PM......those Navy Seals are FANTASTIC***   GOD BLESS AMERICA...  and May God Bless all of you Ladies who are such Brave Warriors Yourselves.  xxoo  G

There is no "US Naval Air

There is no "US Naval Air Force" - there is the Navy and the Air Force.  The Navy does have an air component - it is a portion of the USN.  Hubby is retired USN - his rate was Air Crew Survival Equiptmentman (commonly called a PR/Parachute Rigger).  He was responsible for packing 'chutes, survival equiptment needed if the pilot had to punch out and assure that the pilot's flight gear was kept in safe/operational condition.  Squadrons are stationed at NAS's and are deployed to different carriers as needed  - not a singular 'ship's company'.

There are also Army Rangers, USAF Green Berets and Delta Forces who are FANTASTIC in what they do.  They don't go against thier oaths to self promote.  I do hope that this male who did not honor his oaths would be prosecuted for his breach of honor.  Besides his broach of honor -he has opened anyone related to him (or friends even) to potentially dire reprecussion.

• GlowMore
    Rague said:

There is no "US Naval Air

There is no "US Naval Air Force" - there is the Navy and the Air Force.  The Navy does have an air component - it is a portion of the USN.  Hubby is retired USN - his rate was Air Crew Survival Equiptmentman (commonly called a PR/Parachute Rigger).  He was responsible for packing 'chutes, survival equiptment needed if the pilot had to punch out and assure that the pilot's flight gear was kept in safe/operational condition.  Squadrons are stationed at NAS's and are deployed to different carriers as needed  - not a singular 'ship's company'.

There are also Army Rangers, USAF Green Berets and Delta Forces who are FANTASTIC in what they do.  They don't go against thier oaths to self promote.  I do hope that this male who did not honor his oaths would be prosecuted for his breach of honor.  Besides his broach of honor -he has opened anyone related to him (or friends even) to potentially dire reprecussion.

No US Naval Air Force?

My Step Grand Son will be surprised to learn this since he has been flying with the United States Naval Air Forces for about 15 or 20 years now.  :)    He is not a pilot however, but was the Engineer on the long range flights that they made all over the world.  I'm not sure what he is doing now but he does come here to the Naval Air Station on the St John's River for additional training about once a year.....and the last I heard the Blue Angels are definitely a part of the United States Naval Air Forces.  When initially formed, the unit was called the Navy Flight Exhibition Team. The squadron was officially redesignated as the United States Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron in December 1974.     Just Sayin'   .... But I do thank you for telling me about the Army Rangers and the Green Berets and the Delta Forces..........BUT THE US NAVY SEALS are the Big Boys lately........  :)

• Rague
    GlowMore said:

No US Naval Air Force?

My Step Grand Son will be surprised to learn this since he has been flying with the United States Naval Air Forces for about 15 or 20 years now.  :)    He is not a pilot however, but was the Engineer on the long range flights that they made all over the world.  I'm not sure what he is doing now but he does come here to the Naval Air Station on the St John's River for additional training about once a year.....and the last I heard the Blue Angels are definitely a part of the United States Naval Air Forces.  When initially formed, the unit was called the Navy Flight Exhibition Team. The squadron was officially redesignated as the United States Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron in December 1974.     Just Sayin'   .... But I do thank you for telling me about the Army Rangers and the Green Berets and the Delta Forces..........BUT THE US NAVY SEALS are the Big Boys lately........  :)

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard

There are 5 Branches of the American military - Air  Force, Army, Marine, Navy and Coast Guard.

The Navy does have an Aviation compotent - BUT they are USN.  As I said - Hubby was a PR/Parachute Rigger so was part of the aviation portion of the USN.  He enlisted in the Navy and retired from the Navy.

I am very familar with the "Naval Air Station on the St. Johns River"  (NAS Jax/Naval Air Station Jacksonville).  Hubby was stationed there for 4 yrs with HS1 (they flew H3).  Both of our Sons were born on NAS Jax.  Being at a NAS means that it is a base that deals with the aviation 'arm' of the Navy but it is still Navy - not a port with boats.

The Blue Angels are USN.  Aviation portion but Navy.  Because the Marines are actually a part of the Navy,  Some of the Blue Angels pilots and support crew are Marines.

Your step grandson - is he a Commissioned Officer or a Senior Petty Officer?  Big difference.  Does he fly on P3, P8, C130 or C9?

The Seals are great - but no better than any of the others.  Just getting lots of publicity today due to ones not respecting their oaths.

There are 5 Branches of the USA military - Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard.

• GlowMore
    Rague said:

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard

There are 5 Branches of the American military - Air  Force, Army, Marine, Navy and Coast Guard.

The Navy does have an Aviation compotent - BUT they are USN.  As I said - Hubby was a PR/Parachute Rigger so was part of the aviation portion of the USN.  He enlisted in the Navy and retired from the Navy.

I am very familar with the "Naval Air Station on the St. Johns River"  (NAS Jax/Naval Air Station Jacksonville).  Hubby was stationed there for 4 yrs with HS1 (they flew H3).  Both of our Sons were born on NAS Jax.  Being at a NAS means that it is a base that deals with the aviation 'arm' of the Navy but it is still Navy - not a port with boats.

The Blue Angels are USN.  Aviation portion but Navy.  Because the Marines are actually a part of the Navy,  Some of the Blue Angels pilots and support crew are Marines.

Your step grandson - is he a Commissioned Officer or a Senior Petty Officer?  Big difference.  Does he fly on P3, P8, C130 or C9?

The Seals are great - but no better than any of the others.  Just getting lots of publicity today due to ones not respecting their oaths.

There are 5 Branches of the USA military - Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard.

Commissioned*

Kris is Commissioned....he had to sign up for a certain amount of time in order to get College paid for I think.  The last I heard he was a Lieutenant but that was over a year and a half ago.  He is now 40 and I believe has been in over 15 years... we are not in touch.  He has a wife and three kids and they are stationed at an Air Base in Oklahoma...he flew in some kind of Strategic Air Command thing that was highly secret and probably spied on lots of countries......  :)   Have no idea what you are talking about when you say things like 'HS1'   or 'H3'   ??      This is actually all semantics.......he is in the Navy and he is not doing the boats...he is doing the planes   :)  He is a fine fella...and needs our prayers since he now has two teen age daughters  and one teen age son......... LOL LOL LOL      Thanks for sharing YOUR OPINION about the Seals......we had another grand son who made the Seals years ago but I think he dropped out...he is also in the Navy but not the Air Force part....and he isn't a Commissioned Officer like Kris....  I will send Kris an email and find out what he is now.   Was your husband a Commissioned Officer?   My husband was a volunteer who joined the Navy in 1946...without even a high school diploma (he got that later)...and he did allthe boat stuff and was in the first wave of Occupying Forces into Japan after WW2....Gene was 8 years older than me....he would have been 86 this year.  :)   OH and just remembered something else.........when I was little there WAS NO AIR FORCE  :)   It was the Army Air Force then...

• Rague
    GlowMore said:

Commissioned*

Kris is Commissioned....he had to sign up for a certain amount of time in order to get College paid for I think.  The last I heard he was a Lieutenant but that was over a year and a half ago.  He is now 40 and I believe has been in over 15 years... we are not in touch.  He has a wife and three kids and they are stationed at an Air Base in Oklahoma...he flew in some kind of Strategic Air Command thing that was highly secret and probably spied on lots of countries......  :)   Have no idea what you are talking about when you say things like 'HS1'   or 'H3'   ??      This is actually all semantics.......he is in the Navy and he is not doing the boats...he is doing the planes   :)  He is a fine fella...and needs our prayers since he now has two teen age daughters  and one teen age son......... LOL LOL LOL      Thanks for sharing YOUR OPINION about the Seals......we had another grand son who made the Seals years ago but I think he dropped out...he is also in the Navy but not the Air Force part....and he isn't a Commissioned Officer like Kris....  I will send Kris an email and find out what he is now.   Was your husband a Commissioned Officer?   My husband was a volunteer who joined the Navy in 1946...without even a high school diploma (he got that later)...and he did allthe boat stuff and was in the first wave of Occupying Forces into Japan after WW2....Gene was 8 years older than me....he would have been 86 this year.  :)   OH and just remembered something else.........when I was little there WAS NO AIR FORCE  :)   It was the Army Air Force then...

The USAF did not exist before

The USAF did not exist before 1947.  Before that there was the 'Army Air Corps'.  Daddy was Infantry and enlisted before Pearl Harbor.  He was still Army when I was born but went to the Air Force when it was formed.  He was a Commissioned Officer and a Meteorologist..  During the Korean War he was the Motor Pool Officer at a very small USAF Depot in France.  SAC/Stragic Air Command was a part of the USAF that Daddy was a Meteorologist with but it was disbanded years ago.  MacDill AFB (Tampa FL) was one of the SAC bases

The Navy did have an Aviation component during WWII - we had carriers - thankfully they were not in port when Pearl was attacked.

Hubby was Enlisted - a Petty Officer.  Those who are Navy Aviation do go on boats when the carriers are deployed.  They do work-ups/quals and then the cruise just like ships company does and all the support boats do.

HS1 is Heliocopter Squadron 1.  H3 is the type of heliocopter that they were flying.

I too was Enlisted.  When I went in the Army, we (as womwn) were technically still Womens Axillary Army Corps (WAAC) but that changed while I was active duty and we became regular Army.

edit added - are you sure that your step grandson is active duty or Reserve?  There are no active duty USN bases in OK but there are 2 Reserve units in the State.

• GlowMore
    Rague said:

The USAF did not exist before 1947.  Before that there was the 'Army Air Corps'.  Daddy was Infantry and enlisted before Pearl Harbor.  He was still Army when I was born but went to the Air Force when it was formed.  He was a Commissioned Officer and a Meteorologist..  During the Korean War he was the Motor Pool Officer at a very small USAF Depot in France.  SAC/Stragic Air Command was a part of the USAF that Daddy was a Meteorologist with but it was disbanded years ago.  MacDill AFB (Tampa FL) was one of the SAC bases

The Navy did have an Aviation component during WWII - we had carriers - thankfully they were not in port when Pearl was attacked.

Hubby was Enlisted - a Petty Officer.  Those who are Navy Aviation do go on boats when the carriers are deployed.  They do work-ups/quals and then the cruise just like ships company does and all the support boats do.

HS1 is Heliocopter Squadron 1.  H3 is the type of heliocopter that they were flying.

I too was Enlisted.  When I went in the Army, we (as womwn) were technically still Womens Axillary Army Corps (WAAC) but that changed while I was active duty and we became regular Army.

edit added - are you sure that your step grandson is active duty or Reserve?  There are no active duty USN bases in OK but there are 2 Reserve units in the State.

His Familyl & Home

I think his family and kids are in Oklahoma City...and he is/was in Nebraska?  and before that someplace out west.....but also I remembr something about him being sent to a "War College"  ?? I sent him an email & hope to hear back.  I know he was always active duty but since I've lost touch the last year or so maybe he has changed.  

My brother in law was a mechanic on the helicopters in Viet Nam....way back in 1960 I think it was.  He did 2 years in the Army but I don't know how long over in Viet Nam.  I remember he said you could hear the Viet Nam in the tunnels underneath you and he got shot at a few times but the time he remembered was the shot that hit the tree by his ear...He is now 72 years old and does not wish to talk about it.    Remembering back...when I was 21 in 1957 we lived behind Fort MacPherson in Atlanta, GA and my neighbor's husband was in the Army there and she came over and told me about the fact that they were Bombing Cambodia and Laos and the American People didn't know it.   What a mess we got into... and still are in.........

My Dad was Drafted at age 34 during WWII...he worked for the Gov and could have gotten a Deferment but he did not think that was right thing to do in 1942 even though he had a wife and two little girls.  He did basic training in Missouri and was sent to France with the Third Army..first he was in Signal Corps and then was an M.P.  He didn't come home until after the war was over.   I think there were a few girls in my high school class who joined the service...I graduated from high school in 1954 and it was very rare for a woman to go into the service except as a nurse. 

• GlowMore
    Rague said:

Heard back from Grand Son*

Here is the answer I got when I asked Kris if he was active duty or reserve.

"I am still active duty. We moved a couple times, but are now back in Oklahoma. I'm a Lieutenant Commander and currently a Department Head of an Aviation Squadron. Hope all is well with you!"

So now Susan...do I need to tell him that there are no active duty USN bases in OK?   I'll tell him you said that and see what he says.  :)    Maybe it is something different?  Who knows.

**Edit ADDED**  I heard back again... :)   I sent you all about it in a private message....it seems that the Navy does have a few missions in OK and he sent the details.   Thanks for all of this Susan because now I know more about him than I did before...and I should have known it.   Hope you have a good weekend.... I have my son and his wife coming from California.  :)

• Rague
    GlowMore said:

Heard back from Grand Son*

Here is the answer I got when I asked Kris if he was active duty or reserve.

"I am still active duty. We moved a couple times, but are now back in Oklahoma. I'm a Lieutenant Commander and currently a Department Head of an Aviation Squadron. Hope all is well with you!"

So now Susan...do I need to tell him that there are no active duty USN bases in OK?   I'll tell him you said that and see what he says.  :)    Maybe it is something different?  Who knows.

**Edit ADDED**  I heard back again... :)   I sent you all about it in a private message....it seems that the Navy does have a few missions in OK and he sent the details.   Thanks for all of this Susan because now I know more about him than I did before...and I should have known it.   Hope you have a good weekend.... I have my son and his wife coming from California.  :)

Thank you for sending the

Thank you for sending the info you sent in a PM  rather than posting  openly here. I'll PM you later today or tomorrow.

Actually Daddy  was stationed at the same AFB  in the early '50s.  

Weathter is nasty here!  'Ground Blizzard', actual temps in the low teen, wind chill in the -20s. I 90 closed, and no travel advised on any road.  We are fine - I have a well stocked pantry, kerosene heater and lamps (and kerosene to fuel), plenty of water.

• GlowMore
    Rague said:

Thank you for sending the

Thank you for sending the info you sent in a PM  rather than posting  openly here. I'll PM you later today or tomorrow.

Actually Daddy  was stationed at the same AFB  in the early '50s.  

Weathter is nasty here!  'Ground Blizzard', actual temps in the low teen, wind chill in the -20s. I 90 closed, and no travel advised on any road.  We are fine - I have a well stocked pantry, kerosene heater and lamps (and kerosene to fuel), plenty of water.

About My GrandSon and His Mission

Well I could have posted it here I guess...it is not a secret and can be found on Google...... I especially like the TACAMO part of it   :)  And to find out that he is a Lieutenant Commander which is the same as an Army Major was a big surprise to me too.... and I should have known it.   Oh well....after I got sick in 2002 I sort have been concentrating on me and not the family and being a Widow on top of it.....was easy to just fade back and only keep up at Christmas time.     I keep forgetting exactly where you are but it is going to be DEADLY COLD in America in the next few days so stay warm and SAFE.  :)