HELP

Options

I need help please.  My last chemo was on July 24, 2014 and since then I've been told and have read that I need to follow a healthy diet, drink lots of water and do some of exercises.  I DON'T FOLLOW any of this.  When I get depressed and anxious (most of the day), I cook and, of course, eat.  Cooking/Baking is my passion (and am very good at it if I do say so myself).  I have many followers for my cooking. I made Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo yesterday and after eating a whole  plate, I was so disgusted that I ate another plate of fetuccini.   I also don't drink water too much.  Instead, I drink diet coke.  I don't know if it's depression, or medication.  I've discussed this with my primary who advises me not to worry, he tells me "start worrying if you loose weight".....  His words of "wisdom" does not sit well with me.

Does anyone know of a site where they help you with meal plans specifically for cancer patients?  I don't know if my insurance will approve my going to a nutritionist..

Is anyone facing these problems?

Comments

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    livin it

I think you need to discuss this with your oncologist not primary as it is a common post-treatment behavior. It is a combination of many things. For me personally, a low dose anti-depressant was sufficient and I eat/ate anything I wanted but learned to stop when "stomach hunger" was satisfied even though "mouth hunger" was still pushing me.  This maintains weight and nutrition well for me.  My hubby keeps 5 gallon spiquot jug of herbal tea going in the fridge. (sun tea can be done on the kitchen table indoors) Fatigue is also a main issue and anything, cooking, cleaning, yardwork, stairs, have become my exercise if I move at all.

Learn to listen to your body.  It tells you what to eat.  Unless there is a strong medical reason for a special diet, I say, follow your instncts and what your body tells you.

I don't know where you live but my 7-doc onco team includes an onco psychologist I saw a couple times.

Please do not allow this to escalate, it will only be worse for you and harder to beat. iT IS TIME TO RE-INVENT YOURSELF FOR YOUR NEW NORMAL 

This for the rest of a good life!

Sherry

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Me too

After finishing chemo in 2013, I went on an absolute food tear! (I had to do 9 rounds, so it was at least 5 months of not being able to eat. I had lost about 20 pounds and was only around 100 pounds at the time.) After and during radiation, everything started tasting good again. I am a complete foodie, so I was cooking great food every day. I love things like fettucini in cream sauce too. I was making gnocchi, ravioli, foccacia breads, cinnamon rolls, peanut butter cookies, you name it! Well, as you can imagine, I started gaining about 5 pounds a month. Somehow, I felt like I "deserved" it and my family was thrilled. My husband loved the food and likes me heavier too. To cut a long story short, I realized that my eating could become dangerous both for heart disease and possible recurrence. Now I have overhauled my cooking entirely and run 3 miles and then walk back home every day. I have decided that exercise is worth it in order to keep enjoying food. What I have done is cut out sugar, meat only once a week and anything processed is out. I still use sugar on occasion for a special treat (making fruitcake this weekend for the holidays). I eat three square meals a day. Fruit at every meal. Many servings of veggies. It is so fun to invent healthy dishes. Today's menu:

Breakfast: 1 pear, 1 piece wholewheat toast with cottage cheese and sunflower seeds on top, 1 small bowl oatmeal (with stevia), 1 glass lowfat organic milk

Lunch: Homemade minestrone soup, arugula salad with parmasan shavings and balsamic vinegar, 1 apple, 1 tiny piece 70% cocoa chocolate                                              

Dinner: Two tiny slices pork medallions, sauteed spinach with garlic, baked sweet potato "fries", steamed cauliflower, kiwi/tangerine/banana salad for dessert

I try to get the following every day: Greek leafy veg, cruciferous veg, beta carotene veg (carrot/sweet potato), vitamin C (peppers,oranges, berries), wholegrains (bulgar, quinoa, brown rice etc)

It's fun and tasty if you have the time to buy, wash and cook all this. The good thing in your case is that you love cooking! You should cut out soft drinks entirely. I think they are gross now. I only drink water, milk and an occasional glass of wine. But exercise is key. Something like walking gets you out of the house and gives you time to think thru your day. Please talk to your oncologist and see what he/she suggests. There are many good websites too. I find livestrong very helpful.

Good luck, Anna

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    button2 said:

Me too

After finishing chemo in 2013, I went on an absolute food tear! (I had to do 9 rounds, so it was at least 5 months of not being able to eat. I had lost about 20 pounds and was only around 100 pounds at the time.) After and during radiation, everything started tasting good again. I am a complete foodie, so I was cooking great food every day. I love things like fettucini in cream sauce too. I was making gnocchi, ravioli, foccacia breads, cinnamon rolls, peanut butter cookies, you name it! Well, as you can imagine, I started gaining about 5 pounds a month. Somehow, I felt like I "deserved" it and my family was thrilled. My husband loved the food and likes me heavier too. To cut a long story short, I realized that my eating could become dangerous both for heart disease and possible recurrence. Now I have overhauled my cooking entirely and run 3 miles and then walk back home every day. I have decided that exercise is worth it in order to keep enjoying food. What I have done is cut out sugar, meat only once a week and anything processed is out. I still use sugar on occasion for a special treat (making fruitcake this weekend for the holidays). I eat three square meals a day. Fruit at every meal. Many servings of veggies. It is so fun to invent healthy dishes. Today's menu:

Breakfast: 1 pear, 1 piece wholewheat toast with cottage cheese and sunflower seeds on top, 1 small bowl oatmeal (with stevia), 1 glass lowfat organic milk

Lunch: Homemade minestrone soup, arugula salad with parmasan shavings and balsamic vinegar, 1 apple, 1 tiny piece 70% cocoa chocolate                                              

Dinner: Two tiny slices pork medallions, sauteed spinach with garlic, baked sweet potato "fries", steamed cauliflower, kiwi/tangerine/banana salad for dessert

I try to get the following every day: Greek leafy veg, cruciferous veg, beta carotene veg (carrot/sweet potato), vitamin C (peppers,oranges, berries), wholegrains (bulgar, quinoa, brown rice etc)

It's fun and tasty if you have the time to buy, wash and cook all this. The good thing in your case is that you love cooking! You should cut out soft drinks entirely. I think they are gross now. I only drink water, milk and an occasional glass of wine. But exercise is key. Something like walking gets you out of the house and gives you time to think thru your day. Please talk to your oncologist and see what he/she suggests. There are many good websites too. I find livestrong very helpful.

Good luck, Anna

There are cookbooks for

There are cookbooks for cancer patients - Betty Crocker Living with Cancer is a good one - lots of really yummy healthy recipes

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have never liked water and

I have never liked water and never will.  People think I must be dehydrated etc but not me.  I used to love a lot of tea.  However, after some weird flare-ups not yet diagnosed, I believe to be fibromialgia, not uncommon after breast cancer, in desperation I did a diet clense in case I was allergic to anything.  I am not allergic to anything as yet, which doesnt suprise me either. Not into all that, hate vitamins etc. believe in eating the right food not taking pills.

So the thing is.  The cleanse though not taking away all this nasty pain, has turned out excellent I am pleased I started it.  Truth is most of us ladies have to do certain things to stay a good weight and feel well. 

Gently get into exercise.  I cant remember complicated routines like Zumba but am in awe of those who do it.  I do Pilates and Yoga, slower and controlled.  Good for balance in older age, joints and posture and flexibility.   Helps with arthrisis and generally calming.  Pilates taken by a good instructor gives no end to help shoulder, back, hip pain etc.  I had hip pain and neck, shoulder pain for many years, all gone.  Posture is everything.

Hated green tea, now love it.  Make one or two smoothies per day.  Kale or baby spinnach as a base.  Cranberry Juice, Orange Juice, Water, Coconut Milk,  Ammond Milk, Coconut Water as liquid bases.  Add bananas, frozen nothing added sweet cherries, frozen or fresh strawberries, blackberries, rasberries, mago, kiwi, avacado, grapes, Greek Yogurt, cranberries, almonds.  Pumpkin spice, honey, all spice, cinnamon spice.  They can taste darn good.  I used to skip breakfast and sometimes lunch, not now.

Then main meal.  As much salad as you wish, change the ingredients around with turkey, chicken, fish, smaller amount and less often pork and beef.  With some good bread, I make my own, a few small potatoes, not too many, a baked potato, tuna or salmon etc.  Simple ingredients soup.  Carrot and ginger is lovely.  I rarely add salt, stopped caffiene.  No soft drinks, nothing tinned or pre made meals.  Sorbet is now lovely comparted to what it used to be like.  And then you can afford to have a treat now and then and I certainly do so.  My hubbies birthday today and totally enjoyed a rhubbarb and apple pie I made.  

Lost weight and had plenty to eat.  Just eat differently.  Sorry ranting.  

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary

If I were you I would talk with my Oncologist.   They had a Nutritionist at the Oncology Office where I got my chemo....and anyway... your Onc is the one to ask.     I was reading your page and am a little confused by your diagnosis where you said you had metatastic but then you said it had not spread to the lymph nodes.....  I'm triple negative also but mine did spread to lymphatic and veinous system.   I think we just get so very stressed out with having breast cancer and going thru the  surgery and treatments we need a little time to get calmed down maybe...and food is a comfort.

I was a diet coke addict for years myself, but suddenly my ankles began swelling and I realized diet coke contains a hell of a lot of salt........so I gave it up.    Now I drink bottled spring water...or at least keep some beside me all day...it is hard to make yourself drink water but hope you will give it a try.   Actually though......mostly you probably just need to treat yourself better........and realize that you have been, and are going thru a life changing trauma.......... something that you don't just get over right away....and actually will be dealing with for the rest of your life.  Good luck and let us know how it goes if you do talk with your Oncologist.   Glo