radiation on the spine?

MrsBob
MrsBob Member Posts: 77

Hi!

I am wondering if anyone on here has had radiation on their spine to relieve pain caused by a bc mets lesion.

I am getting ready to start soon and im nervous about it. All my doctors are not 100% sure its cancer and it hasnt grown in the last year and a half since it was found (along with other bc mets I had) but they say they wouldnt know what else it could be. Its a spot in my T9 that is pushing to the front right of the thin nerves that surround the spine. Thank God it didnt go the direction of my spinal cord!

Anyways, I would love to hear from anyone who has had this done.

Thanks, Melissa

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Hi and sorry

I am scheduled to do it on L5. I already had simulation for it and waiting for the call. I hope for the best

good luck

• MrsBob

Hi and sorry

I am scheduled to do it on L5. I already had simulation for it and waiting for the call. I hope for the best

good luck

New Flower, 
    Could you keep

New Flower, 

Could you keep me posted on yours? Best wishes for you!

Melissa

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Hi Melissa

I first had rads to lumbar spine, tailbone, rt hip and pelvic bones in Sept 2010, then again to the same area in 2011. It helped with the pain for about 2 years.  I was tired but was also getting chemo at the time and was only on a break so they could do scans to see if the chemo was working.  They did 3 bone biopsies to determine if it was  breast mets and or bone cancer.

In Sept 2013 they radiated my rt knee and calf, and from about 2 inces above my knee to my rt hip. When they finished the leg I had rads to the t-spine bcuz they were afraid the tumors were pressing the spinal column in that area because my legs were weakening. 

This past Wednesday I had scans to see if it is tumor activity that is compressing my spinal column as my feet, lower legs and hands are going numb and the pain has increased in my neck.  If it is, then she mentioned Quadromets (oral radiation).  She said she will review the scans and I meet with her Monday morning.  She said I have had so miuch external radiation that she will have to decide if that is the safest route for me.

The rads really helped with the pain.  When I was first dx'd the tumors were already throughout my skelital system.  The only thing clear was from my shoulders to my hands and mid thigh to my feet.  When I was bald from the chemo, I even had a lumpy head!  Now there are tumors in both my elbows and knees and calves.  It was like a sudden onset.    I had a clear pet scan in Oct/Nov 2009, and by Sept 2010 when I suddenly had pain and the pet scan lit up like a Christmas Tree. 

I am so glad that I had the rads it really helped with the pain and improved the quality of my life.  I did get tired after the treatments but in 2011.  But I was just on a break from weekly chemo to have the scans, and started back w/chemo while I was still getting zapped!  I only wish I could get it again to the lower region as the pain is a bi***.

I sure hope it helps with the pain for you also!

Carol

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    camul said:

Hi Melissa

I first had rads to lumbar spine, tailbone, rt hip and pelvic bones in Sept 2010, then again to the same area in 2011. It helped with the pain for about 2 years.  I was tired but was also getting chemo at the time and was only on a break so they could do scans to see if the chemo was working.  They did 3 bone biopsies to determine if it was  breast mets and or bone cancer.

In Sept 2013 they radiated my rt knee and calf, and from about 2 inces above my knee to my rt hip. When they finished the leg I had rads to the t-spine bcuz they were afraid the tumors were pressing the spinal column in that area because my legs were weakening. 

This past Wednesday I had scans to see if it is tumor activity that is compressing my spinal column as my feet, lower legs and hands are going numb and the pain has increased in my neck.  If it is, then she mentioned Quadromets (oral radiation).  She said she will review the scans and I meet with her Monday morning.  She said I have had so miuch external radiation that she will have to decide if that is the safest route for me.

The rads really helped with the pain.  When I was first dx'd the tumors were already throughout my skelital system.  The only thing clear was from my shoulders to my hands and mid thigh to my feet.  When I was bald from the chemo, I even had a lumpy head!  Now there are tumors in both my elbows and knees and calves.  It was like a sudden onset.    I had a clear pet scan in Oct/Nov 2009, and by Sept 2010 when I suddenly had pain and the pet scan lit up like a Christmas Tree. 

I am so glad that I had the rads it really helped with the pain and improved the quality of my life.  I did get tired after the treatments but in 2011.  But I was just on a break from weekly chemo to have the scans, and started back w/chemo while I was still getting zapped!  I only wish I could get it again to the lower region as the pain is a bi***.

Carol

MrsBob --

We are thinking and keeping you in good thoughts and prayers dear Sister in PINK ..

Vicki Sam

• MrsBob
    camul said:

Hi Melissa

Carol

thanks

Thank you Carol and Vicki!

Carol, you have had such a hard time. So sorry you have had to go thru all that. I hope you get relief soon. 

It helps to hear from others. Vicki thanks for your kind words :)

My pain isnt horrible but I am tired of it. Kinda nagging and uncomfortable at times. I am getting a low dose and dont foresee any problems. I have been alittle tired the last couple of days and a little nauseated,the radiation is probably close to my stomach area. It doesnt keep me from eating though lol.

Thanks again! Melissa

• New Flower
    MrsBob said:

thanks

Thank you Carol and Vicki!

Carol, you have had such a hard time. So sorry you have had to go thru all that. I hope you get relief soon. 

It helps to hear from others. Vicki thanks for your kind words :)

My pain isnt horrible but I am tired of it. Kinda nagging and uncomfortable at times. I am getting a low dose and dont foresee any problems. I have been alittle tired the last couple of days and a little nauseated,the radiation is probably close to my stomach area. It doesnt keep me from eating though lol.

Thanks again! Melissa

going tomorrow

Hi Melissa,

I will let you know how it will go. how many are you going to have?

I hope everything will go well for you

• MrsBob

going tomorrow

Hi Melissa,

I get my third dose out of

I get my third dose out of ten today. Still feeling a little nauseated and tired. not too bad though. I heard the dr say something about "30" as far as my dose. I have no idea what that means besides it's a small dose but I am getting two (one on each side of my T9 of my spine as I lay on my stomach). Originally it was just one side.

Keep me posted!

• MrsBob

going tomorrow

Hi Melissa,

How are you doing? 

How are you doing? 

• New Flower
    MrsBob said:

How are you doing? 

How are you doing? 

well doing ok

hi Melissa,

thank you for asking. The gamma knife procedure was ok it suppose to give 10x of a single dose, however I was in pain 3 hours after the treatment. I had to take pain medications for 3 days. It also gave some ingidestion and nausea. did not agreed with my systemic medication Afinitor. On thursday I was takn of it and going to resume tonight.

What are you taking oraly to control cancer?

I am also beeing seen by orthopedic surgeon to monitor my femur which we did not radiate at this time.

Happy Thanksgiving 

• MrsBob

well doing ok

hi Melissa,

thank you for asking. The gamma knife procedure was ok it suppose to give 10x of a single dose, however I was in pain 3 hours after the treatment. I had to take pain medications for 3 days. It also gave some ingidestion and nausea. did not agreed with my systemic medication Afinitor. On thursday I was takn of it and going to resume tonight.

What are you taking oraly to control cancer?

I am also beeing seen by orthopedic surgeon to monitor my femur which we did not radiate at this time.

Happy Thanksgiving 

New Flower,
    Sorry I haven't

New Flower,

Sorry I haven't been on to see your last post.

I am taking Arimidex and a shot of Xgeva every three months.

How are you doing now?

My back still hurts. The stabbing pain is gone but now i have a tightness and dull ache in more areas than the T9.

Melissa

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    MrsBob said:

New Flower,
    Sorry I haven't

New Flower,

Sorry I haven't been on to see your last post.

I am taking Arimidex and a shot of Xgeva every three months.

How are you doing now?

My back still hurts. The stabbing pain is gone but now i have a tightness and dull ache in more areas than the T9.

Melissa

Prayers and Hugs

Prayers and Hugs  (only not too tight hugs)  Prayers for relief from your pain and for strength and courage....  let's call the hugs...mental hugs....just to let you know we care.   Just so sorry you have to go thru this....but so hoping that these treatments will help.   Love, Glo

• MrsBob
    GlowMore said:

Prayers and Hugs

Prayers and Hugs  (only not too tight hugs)  Prayers for relief from your pain and for strength and courage....  let's call the hugs...mental hugs....just to let you know we care.   Just so sorry you have to go thru this....but so hoping that these treatments will help.   Love, Glo

Thank you Glo! :)

Thank you Glo! :)