First Radiation Reaction?

WhoaThere
WhoaThere Member Posts: 24

Hello everyone!  I would just like to know if ANYONE has had a reaction to either Aquaphor or their first radiation treatment.  I had my first treatment yesterday, and did just fine during the treatment.  When I got home about 2 hours later, I slathered on Aquaphor, the recommended lotion.  Within 20 minutes, I began to feel an itching/tingling in my nipple.  At first, I thought perphaps being greasy was causing some friction against my T-shirt.  But by 8:00 that night, my breast was bright pink and REALLY itchy.  I washed the Aquahphor off and applied pure lavendar oil.  It seemed to help a bit, but this morning still have areas of pink and a slightly itchy nipple.  I actually hoope it is a reaction to the lotion.  I have been told most skin reactions to radiation don't start until about the second half of the treatment (mine will be 28 whole breast and 5 pinpoint) and I was hoping for a "break" with radiation.  I had a hard time with chemo and really thought radiation would be a breeze comparitively speaking.  What do you ladies think?  Anyone have side effects first radiation treatment?

Comments

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Sorry to hear about your

Sorry to hear about your reaction!

I didn't have any reaction;  Skin burned of course.   They gave me a special lotion to use - it was prescription.   Might just be the lotion you are reacting to

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    I think probably reaction to Aquaphor

I don't think it's typical at all to have a reaction to your first radiation treatment (I didn't even start seeing any pink or feeling even the beginnings of any itching/irritation until probably a week into it).  So I think a reaction to the Aquaphor is probably a safe bet.

Be sure to ask to speak with the nurse when you go in for your treatment today. There are definitely other creams they can recommend -- many radiation centers use Aquaphor, but many do not.  My center recommended both Aquaphor and Udderly Smooth Udder Cream, and gave out samples of both like candy.  There are women here whose centers recommended aloe vera gel.  So you may want to ask the nurse about those in particular.

Hope that helps!

Traci

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sorry you are going throught

sorry you are going throught this...I never had any reaction or side effects, or even burning from radiation. I can't remember what I used daily , but it was a sample ointment i was given at the cancer center.

I hope all goes smoothly ...

Denise

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

sorry you are going throught

sorry you are going throught this...I never had any reaction or side effects, or even burning from radiation. I can't remember what I used daily , but it was a sample ointment i was given at the cancer center.

I hope all goes smoothly ...

Denise

Please check in with us - and let us know how

things are going --  Your radiation treatments start ?

Strength,Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

• WhoaThere
    WhoaThere Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the advice.  Even

Thanks for the advice.  Even without the Aquaphor, I am still pink.  I've had 6 treatments now and saw my RO today.  She recommended aloe vera and a lotion called Regenecare.  It has a bit of lidocaine in it as well.  So, we will see how that does.  Will keep you posted.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    WhoaThere said:

Thanks for the advice.  Even

Thanks for the advice.  Even without the Aquaphor, I am still pink.  I've had 6 treatments now and saw my RO today.  She recommended aloe vera and a lotion called Regenecare.  It has a bit of lidocaine in it as well.  So, we will see how that does.  Will keep you posted.

Thank you so much for the update ..

We have been thinking about you ..  

Vicki Sam

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    First Radiation

The only reaction I had for my first radiation was Psychological.........after the first treatment....which lasted about two or three minutes in all probably....but they moved the giant machine around some and then RAN from the room.... and I remember I sat up at the end to get off the table....and just sort of FREAKED OUT.     I was feeling pretty overwhelmed by the Fact that I had just been ZAPPED WITH RADIATION............... ugh.....    The Technician realized what was happening to me and she made sure I got counseled right away by the Ph.D. Doctor on the staff......he was so serious and explained all of it to me (again) about how important it was to "get it all".........and then he explained to me how important he was and told me about all the books he had written.....and I began to see the humor in the entire thing...and got my legs back under me.  :)   Oh my.....  but as for a reaction to aquaphor there was none for me...so sorry you are having a difficulty but I'm sure they will help you find the right lotion........tell the nurse and also tell your Radiation Onc............   Blessings for better results.