How long for ascites?

seatown
seatown Member Posts: 261 Member

Had a PET scan 2 weeks ago to see what was happening with my recurring primary peritoneal cancer (but not many people posting on that forum these days--trying to change that!). At the time of the PET scan, the report was "no ascites seen." But unfortunately, there were 6 new tumors. So as of 4 days ago, I'm on Doxil for the 1st time. 

I've gained about 10 lbs in a week, my upper abdomen (where the new tumors are) is feeling full & distended, & I can eat only a few bites before I feel full. Can anyone remind me--can ascites happen this fast? My midsection is feeling bloated, just like it did 2+ years ago when I was diagnosed & 3+ liters of fluid was drained from my abdomen.

As always, details are at http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/CaroleSeaton

Thanks for any thoughts you have!

Carole

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Hi Carole

Ascites can happen fast. In my experience once it starts accumulating, volume grows almost exponentially. In May 2012 I had 4 liters drained twice, in April 2014 - another 4.5 liters. 

Fluid can be easily seen on the abdominal ultrasound. Just tell your doctor that you suspect ascites, they will drain it and you will feel so much better.

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Alexandra said:

Hi Carole

Ascites can happen fast. In my experience once it starts accumulating, volume grows almost exponentially. In May 2012 I had 4 liters drained twice, in April 2014 - another 4.5 liters. 

Fluid can be easily seen on the abdominal ultrasound. Just tell your doctor that you suspect ascites, they will drain it and you will feel so much better.

Hi Carole

So sorry you are having problems with suspected ascites.  I'm praying that Doxil kicks your cancer's butt to the curb!

Hugs,

Kelly

• Susan P
    Susan P Member Posts: 103

Hi Carole

So sorry you are having problems with suspected ascites.  I'm praying that Doxil kicks your cancer's butt to the curb!

Hugs,

Kelly

ascites

hi  Carole as the others I am sorry you are dealing with this junk My ca at dx was 4,000 & first drain was 8 liters & some 5's & 6's slowed down greatly after chemo started working.  for as simple as the drain is - I Agree talk to doc about it & yes uit shoulds have shown up9on most tests including ultrasound -  most of mydfrains were ultrasounded  guided - like Kelly I hope doxil is the answer right now  and hope you feel decent as you dekl with this

Blessings   Susan P from Alberta Canada & TX & WY

• Jue
    Jue Member Posts: 80
    Sorry I'm not much help with

Sorry I'm not much help with the asites question as even when diagnosed 3c I had no fluid but exactly the symptoms your experiencing at the moment , I couldn't eat more than a couple mouthfuls of food before feeling so uncomfortable and swollen and it was found my tumors were high up on my omentum when debulking done . It may just be swelling if it's fluid they can drain as before and I'm hoping the doxil gets working and gives you relief and shrinks those tumors. Best wishes to you Carole.