Cancer and business

I was looking in on an online debate today about cancer and it's business wing. Cancer is a$200 billion a year business. 5 of the participants in the online debate believe there are probably viable cures out there that will never see the light of day because treatment is a fnancial boondoggle. One participant said that there will be a cancer cure soon and does not believe money will override morality. Interesting. I think I know where I stand on this. I thinks it's an argument that a lot of people have. Any thoughts?

Comments

  • Sonja.K
    Sonja.K Member Posts: 79 Member
    When I was initially diagnosed

    When I was initially diagnosed a family member was sharing their opinions that there would be no cure soon because of the financial boondoggle for the pharmaceuticals and the medical providers.   During our conversation I was thinking "another crazy conspiracy theory".  Then I saw the large number of patients at my Cancer Center and I am not so sure anymore.   

  • wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Stanford Medical Has.......

    A team of Stanford researchers has developed a protein therapy that disrupts the process that causes cancer cells to break away from original tumor sites, travel through the bloodstream and start aggressive new growths elsewhere in the body.

    "This is a very promising therapy that appears to be effective and nontoxic in preclinical experiments," Giaccia said. "It could open up a new approach to cancer treatment."

    Giaccia and Cochran are scientific advisors to Ruga Corp., a biotech startup in Palo Alto that has licensed this technology from Stanford. Further preclinical and animal tests must be done before determining whether this therapy is safe and effective in humans. There is hope, and this is a major first step to stop it from spreading.

  • Bart T
    Bart T Member Posts: 62 Member
    NO CONSPIRACY

    I guess I’ve never been much of a conspiracy theory kind of guy. I believe Elvis is really dead. I believe there really was a moon landing, and an attack on 9/11. I don’t believe that there is a 10 cent potion that you add to your gas tank that lets you get 500 miles to the gallon, but big oil is keeping it a secret. I don’t believe that there is a 10 cent pill that cures cancer with no side effects, but is being kept a secret by the drug and cancer companies.

    The people I’ve run into in my cancer journey are dedicated and caring individuals who are doing their best to defeat cancer and relieve the suffering of its victims. I’m sure some are making a good living doing it. I’m sure some of them have even gotten rich doing what they do. But I believe that without exception, if given a choice between making lots of money dispensing cancer treatments, or selling hot dogs from a wagon in the street, there would be a hot dog vendor on every corner.

    Sure, some of the people responsible for giving me theses extra years are living well. Maybe they have fancy cars and big houses, and go on exotic vacations. Probably some of the support people are running out of paycheck before running out of month, but even some of the cats that aren’t getting fat off the system treated me like I was the most important person on the planet.

    Yes there is a cancer business. Yes some are getting rich from that business. But they’re all pushing the limits of their talent and ability in an effort to cure and relieve. So if indeed I’m helping fill the fuel tank on someone’s yacht, a tank of fuel is a small price to pay for what they’ve given me.

     Yes I’m sorry there is a cancer business, and yes, I’m also sorry Elvis is dead, but it is what it is -  no more, no less. 

  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Bart T said:

    NO CONSPIRACY

    I guess I’ve never been much of a conspiracy theory kind of guy. I believe Elvis is really dead. I believe there really was a moon landing, and an attack on 9/11. I don’t believe that there is a 10 cent potion that you add to your gas tank that lets you get 500 miles to the gallon, but big oil is keeping it a secret. I don’t believe that there is a 10 cent pill that cures cancer with no side effects, but is being kept a secret by the drug and cancer companies.

    The people I’ve run into in my cancer journey are dedicated and caring individuals who are doing their best to defeat cancer and relieve the suffering of its victims. I’m sure some are making a good living doing it. I’m sure some of them have even gotten rich doing what they do. But I believe that without exception, if given a choice between making lots of money dispensing cancer treatments, or selling hot dogs from a wagon in the street, there would be a hot dog vendor on every corner.

    Sure, some of the people responsible for giving me theses extra years are living well. Maybe they have fancy cars and big houses, and go on exotic vacations. Probably some of the support people are running out of paycheck before running out of month, but even some of the cats that aren’t getting fat off the system treated me like I was the most important person on the planet.

    Yes there is a cancer business. Yes some are getting rich from that business. But they’re all pushing the limits of their talent and ability in an effort to cure and relieve. So if indeed I’m helping fill the fuel tank on someone’s yacht, a tank of fuel is a small price to pay for what they’ve given me.

     Yes I’m sorry there is a cancer business, and yes, I’m also sorry Elvis is dead, but it is what it is -  no more, no less. 

    Have to kinda agree with you

    Have to kinda agree with you Bart T

  • donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    interesting

    Interesting topic. It does fall into the Big Conspiracy bucket when viewed industry wide on a global basis. We know and read about individual cases where trial data is doctored to get pharma approval and such. Clearly money plays a big part in what finally gets approved due to the enormous resources inovolved to get to market. It certainly seems plausible that a very promising project just does not get the right level of support and funding and lesser effective but those better tied to resources and politics move forward.

    It is hard to image with reasearchers affiilated with so many different countries, many at war or not particularly friendly with each other could collectively orchestrate any collective effort to subvert basic science, vetting, and funding of promising projects. One could argue there are a handful of global cancer companies that might collude to control it but personally it is a stretch to me. The corporate medical industry is different that the typical corpration where maximizing money is the sole goal. Medical industries have a moral code in that the industry is populated with professionals who have sworn to a morale code and that makes it unique. This is one area where I feel grand conspiracy does not fit very well. 

  • denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    donfoo said:

    interesting

    Interesting topic. It does fall into the Big Conspiracy bucket when viewed industry wide on a global basis. We know and read about individual cases where trial data is doctored to get pharma approval and such. Clearly money plays a big part in what finally gets approved due to the enormous resources inovolved to get to market. It certainly seems plausible that a very promising project just does not get the right level of support and funding and lesser effective but those better tied to resources and politics move forward.

    It is hard to image with reasearchers affiilated with so many different countries, many at war or not particularly friendly with each other could collectively orchestrate any collective effort to subvert basic science, vetting, and funding of promising projects. One could argue there are a handful of global cancer companies that might collude to control it but personally it is a stretch to me. The corporate medical industry is different that the typical corpration where maximizing money is the sole goal. Medical industries have a moral code in that the industry is populated with professionals who have sworn to a morale code and that makes it unique. This is one area where I feel grand conspiracy does not fit very well. 

    C & B

    I too am not a party to the conspiracy stuff, I do sometimes wonder, given the visciousness of this disease and it's treatment, why we do not do more to catch it early, this is where the money factor takes over.

  • donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    denistd said:

    C & B

    I too am not a party to the conspiracy stuff, I do sometimes wonder, given the visciousness of this disease and it's treatment, why we do not do more to catch it early, this is where the money factor takes over.

    different take

    As to earlier detection, this is an entirely different topic as it is tied to money but in a different way. Everyone talks about practicing preventative medicine and I will include early diagnosis into this category rather than an early step of treatment although it does belong there technically. To early detection and treatment sits in the gray area a bit.

    Anyway, there are many diseases that can be diagnosed and treated earlier but there are costs associated with it. And in a warped way, like the original post, one could think there are forces who rather let diagnosis go late so the cost (ie profit) is greater. One of the potential benefits of the exclusion of preexisting conditions may reduce the incentive to defer diagnosis and treatment if there is more saving by preventing and treating early.

    In the case of cancer, the diagnosis has physical health costs such as radiation and barium injections and such. So it is also a balance not of just econimics but also balance of harm vs benefit. No easy answers.

     

  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    We got Money

    There are a lot of people out in this world who will sell their soul for a dollar. I believe we will see a lot better tools for treating cancer but will never see a cure for it.  Just my take

    Tim Hondo

  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Hondo said:

    We got Money

    There are a lot of people out in this world who will sell their soul for a dollar. I believe we will see a lot better tools for treating cancer but will never see a cure for it.  Just my take

    Tim Hondo

    Say it isn't so

    Bart, I just saw Elvis at my local coffee shop wearing a black scarf and red sunglasees. You must be mistaken!

  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    big if

    i believe there is no cure out there, that reason is this.....

    to find a cure it would take many test and people, to keep it quiet regarding cure with all those people would be impossible....

    just my take

    john

     

  • debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    unfortunately i beleive there

    unfortunately i beleive there will be no cure due to the money side of cancer.  like you said, its a multi billion $ business and i'm afraid the people in the right places see more in the money then in the cure.  just my 2 cents.

    dj

  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Cancer is not ONE disease

    Cancer is not one disease, and there will never be a single cure for cancer. That complicates things.

    Deb

  • Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    D Lewis said:

    Cancer is not ONE disease

    Cancer is not one disease, and there will never be a single cure for cancer. That complicates things.

    Deb

    Conspiracy

    Is just that. There are too many people involved in research to suppress information in this age of digital citizen journalism.

  • Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Guzzle said:

    Conspiracy

    Is just that. There are too many people involved in research to suppress information in this age of digital citizen journalism.

    Elvis

    Rick, you are talking Bull. Elvis was in my local pub having a pint with Jimi Hendrix & Jim Morrison. They are ex pats as they get left alone over here and make a living impersonating themselves. So I know you are telling fibs as he couldn't be in two places at once!

  • Ron Silver
    Ron Silver Member Posts: 94
    Guzzle said:

    Elvis

    Rick, you are talking Bull. Elvis was in my local pub having a pint with Jimi Hendrix & Jim Morrison. They are ex pats as they get left alone over here and make a living impersonating themselves. So I know you are telling fibs as he couldn't be in two places at once!

    Medicine is a business.  

    Medicine is a business.     

    Due to the nature of the disease (really thousands of diseases) in the cancer spectrum, a single cure?  Not likely.  Many, multiple, hundreds of cures-all on the horizon and all very profitable.  Like drilling for oil.  You may hit a few dry wells, but hit that motherlode!!!

    Maybe this is the reason that people from all over the world come to the US for medical treatment.  We have the best because medicine is a business-A business run by corporations whose purpose is to maximze the wealth of their shareholders.

    Oh, wait, there goes my warm and fuzzy view of my disease and treatment.  Sorry, there is no  Easter Bunny.

     

     

    image

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

  • donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    more cogitations

    We know cancer is a medical disease as well as a business. I think research will continue on at least at current levels and with the advancement of supporting technologies such as IT, cures will be discovered. There will be plenty of capitalist interests in maximizing profits from the new cures. Drub companies will be all over it. New treatments will drive new offerings for hospitals and medical device companies and on and on. Sure companies like a Varian that make radiation therapy devices may take a hit but there diagnostics business might benefit. Let the free market work and a new landscape will emerge but filled with many of the same cast of characters but with many newly cured cancer patients too!