CT and bone scans / test results

Options
DebbyB
DebbyB Member Posts: 86

Question for those with bone mets.  I have had clear scans and x-rays for the last 3 years and was feeling like it now time to move on.  I had surgery to correct a double mastectomy that left me with a ugly mess.  The pre op xray showed 'patchy atelectasis'.  I wasn't too worried after a google search said it could possibly be an infection from a cold etc. THEN I got a call from my oncologist who ordered a CT scan. CT scan shows 'ill defined sclerosis' of multiple bilateral ribs 4-9. I was having pain, but really thought it was due radiation scarring. NOW I have a bone scan scheduled for Wednesday. I am freaked out!!

Are those test results normal for bone mets? 

thank you,  Debby

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Please stay calm

Hi Debby,

Everyone is different, please do not make conclusions before you have your imaging results. X-ray are not the best diagnostic for bone metastasis. As far as CT scan often it needs to be CT with contrast to see mets. Bone scan works for some , not for everyone. If your insurance pays, please ask for PET/CT wich will show matabolic activity of cancer cells if they are there. sclerotic areas are not active cancer, lytic are.

Good luck with your test and keep us posted.

• DebbyB
    Options

Please stay calm

Hi Debby,

Everyone is different, please do not make conclusions before you have your imaging results. X-ray are not the best diagnostic for bone metastasis. As far as CT scan often it needs to be CT with contrast to see mets. Bone scan works for some , not for everyone. If your insurance pays, please ask for PET/CT wich will show matabolic activity of cancer cells if they are there. sclerotic areas are not active cancer, lytic are.

Good luck with your test and keep us posted.

Thank you :)

This test was the CT with contrast.  :)   Bone scan is this Wednesday.  I am feeling MUCH more positive today! 

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    DebbyB said:

Thank you :)

This test was the CT with contrast.  :)   Bone scan is this Wednesday.  I am feeling MUCH more positive today! 

Glad you are feeling better.
    I go for a bone scan from chin to toes Wednesday. Without the scan, hard to say what they are seeing. Sometimes what they thought would be a lesion is arthritis, and areas there was no pain, I have lesions. Olga is right, you could drive yourself crazy worrying about what may or may not be. I know it is hard not to worry. Wish you the best on your scan Wednesday.
    Carol
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    camul said:

I go for a bone scan from chin to toes Wednesday. Without the scan, hard to say what they are seeing. Sometimes what they thought would be a lesion is arthritis, and areas there was no pain, I have lesions. Olga is right, you could drive yourself crazy worrying about what may or may not be. I know it is hard not to worry. Wish you the best on your scan Wednesday.
    Carol

Keeping you in good Thoughts - and prayers ..

Wishing you the very Best ....  Innocent

Vicki Sam

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Keeping you in good Thoughts - and prayers ..

Wishing you the very Best ....  Innocent

Vicki Sam

Scans on Wednesday the 5th

praying for good results too for you both and please let us know when you get the results....

• DebbyB
    Options
    camul said:

Carol

see you on the bus camul :)

I have decided I can't make myself crazy with worry.  Worry will not change the outcome.  I have to be in faith, not fear. I can do that about 75% of the time.  lol

thank you camul  :)

• DebbyB
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Scans on Wednesday the 5th

praying for good results too for you both and please let us know when you get the results....

Vicki and GlowMore

Thank you  :)  I am telling myself my boss just gave a promotion, so it's a sign it will be nothing.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    DebbyB said:

see you on the bus camul :)

I have decided I can't make myself crazy with worry.  Worry will not change the outcome.  I have to be in faith, not fear. I can do that about 75% of the time.  lol

thank you camul  :)

how are things - DebbyB

Post when you can ...

Vicki Sam