PET or MRI ... Doctor is getting back to me today on which he will order

Options
Chris Ptown
Chris Ptown Member Posts: 116

So for a long time I was hoping for a CT Scan or PET Scan and now I am going to get it.  He said not a CT Scan but either a PET Scan or an MRI.  Now I am nervous.  Those feelings are back all over again.  I had a check up from the surgeon six months ago where he stuck a scope up my butt etc. and he said everything looks great but I guess the scan or MRI is to see if there's cancer somewhere else?  Uggggh.

Comments

• Chris Ptown
    Options
    Doctors office just called

Doctors office just called and said I am getting a CT Scan and not PET or MRI

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Chris

I think a CT scan is the right decision.  I've heard that PET scans aren't necessarily the best type of scan to look for recurrence of anal cancer.  I'm not sure about MRI, but I know neither my med onc nor my friend who is a radiologist have ever mentioned getting an MRI.  I presume your doctor will order a CT of the chest, abdomen and pelvis.

One word of advice--since it's been so long since you've had a scan, DO NOT freak out over all the stuff that the scan may show that is deemed insignificant.  I have a cyst on one kidney and also my spleen and some other "junk" that requires no attention.  I hope you will not be anxious leading up to the scan.  It sounds to me like you are doing well and I think you'll get good news!

Martha

• GoodDog2
    GoodDog2 Member Posts: 22 Member
    Options

CT

I can never figure out how they choose the tests they do! to my understanding, a CT shows what is there but a PET shows what cells are thinking about doing. I think the CT is most common for follow up.

I am almost 11 months out, normal PET in Feb, normal CT at end of August. I feel great but have some rectal bleeding. Colorectal surgeon did an exam with anoscope and everything looked fine BUT wanted to do a PET for "completeness" before assuming that it is vascular trauma from radiation. So even though everything else looks good getting the PET is stressful. 

Which test holds the trump card? I guess none of them, they all work together. One of my doctors did say that some insurance companies only cover a certain number of PETs per lifetime. Mine does not have that restriction. 

Oh and I agree about not worrying about all of the other strange things radiologists comment on. Tests are only as good as the person that interprets them. Some radiologists include more detail than others. but they all mention that I have one kidney stone! 

• nicotianna
    nicotianna Member Posts: 209
    Options
    GoodDog2 said:

CT

I can never figure out how they choose the tests they do! to my understanding, a CT shows what is there but a PET shows what cells are thinking about doing. I think the CT is most common for follow up.

I am almost 11 months out, normal PET in Feb, normal CT at end of August. I feel great but have some rectal bleeding. Colorectal surgeon did an exam with anoscope and everything looked fine BUT wanted to do a PET for "completeness" before assuming that it is vascular trauma from radiation. So even though everything else looks good getting the PET is stressful. 

Which test holds the trump card? I guess none of them, they all work together. One of my doctors did say that some insurance companies only cover a certain number of PETs per lifetime. Mine does not have that restriction. 

Oh and I agree about not worrying about all of the other strange things radiologists comment on. Tests are only as good as the person that interprets them. Some radiologists include more detail than others. but they all mention that I have one kidney stone! 

GoodDog2

I love your dog!

I am confused too!  My PET is ok but my CR surgeon wants to do an anoscopy under anesthesia even though I want one in his office....go figure!

Yes, I love the repetitive junk they include in the reports.....even though mine has been done by the same person:(

Nic

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Chris.....

Hi there and I'm glad to hear that you've been moving forward in recovery.  I'm just ditto-ing on the DO NOT become too alarmed with the blurps that may not even be relevant that probably will show up on the scan. As my doctor has explained, the scans are a very useful tool but need to be considered in combination with other tests such as blood work along with symptoms when diagnosing. So lets hope it all goes well and don't worry yourself needlessly, save that for another time in life many many years from now!

I am 3 1/2 yrs post anal cancer treatment and had 1 PET scan at one year (at which time I was diagnosed with breast cancer) so thank God I had that scan, since then a CT scan every six-ish months as the schedule was adjusted to scan chest and pelvis and then next time just pelvis and then chest/pelvis again. The only MRI I had was prior to my breast surgery. I did have a colonoscopy, anascope and DRE's at regular check-ups but it seems we all have some varience in our follow-up care.

Good to hear from you,

Be well.

Katheryn

• jcruz
    jcruz Member Posts: 379 Member
    Options

GoodDog2

I love your dog!

I am confused too!  My PET is ok but my CR surgeon wants to do an anoscopy under anesthesia even though I want one in his office....go figure!

Yes, I love the repetitive junk they include in the reports.....even though mine has been done by the same person:(

Nic

In the office or EUA?

I had two EUAs in the year after my treatment ended so this time I wanted my surgeon to try the exam in the office.  I just wanted it to be less of a big deal than going through the whole surgery center rigamarole.  So he agreed and just barely got started when he said it would be impossible.  He told me even if he could do the digital exam there was no way I could tolerate the anoscope.  So I had the EUA and he did take a biopsy.  I think I'm thankful to have been knocked out while he did the exam, considering how much pain I experienced after the EUA.

I've had 4 PET scans post-treatment and finally the insurance company so no to the latest one so I had a CT scan earlier this week. 

Janet

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    jcruz said:

In the office or EUA?

I had two EUAs in the year after my treatment ended so this time I wanted my surgeon to try the exam in the office.  I just wanted it to be less of a big deal than going through the whole surgery center rigamarole.  So he agreed and just barely got started when he said it would be impossible.  He told me even if he could do the digital exam there was no way I could tolerate the anoscope.  So I had the EUA and he did take a biopsy.  I think I'm thankful to have been knocked out while he did the exam, considering how much pain I experienced after the EUA.

I've had 4 PET scans post-treatment and finally the insurance company so no to the latest one so I had a CT scan earlier this week. 

Janet

Me, too-ish

I asked the colorectal's RN just today to try to arrange an in-office anoscope and biopsy in three months. She'll get back to me. However, when I first saw him, he said my muscles had a whole lot of tone, so I don't know. But the needles involved with an in-hospital procedure are as scary to me as an exam! Embarassed

• Chris Ptown
    Options
    eihtak said:

Chris.....

Hi there and I'm glad to hear that you've been moving forward in recovery.  I'm just ditto-ing on the DO NOT become too alarmed with the blurps that may not even be relevant that probably will show up on the scan. As my doctor has explained, the scans are a very useful tool but need to be considered in combination with other tests such as blood work along with symptoms when diagnosing. So lets hope it all goes well and don't worry yourself needlessly, save that for another time in life many many years from now!

I am 3 1/2 yrs post anal cancer treatment and had 1 PET scan at one year (at which time I was diagnosed with breast cancer) so thank God I had that scan, since then a CT scan every six-ish months as the schedule was adjusted to scan chest and pelvis and then next time just pelvis and then chest/pelvis again. The only MRI I had was prior to my breast surgery. I did have a colonoscopy, anascope and DRE's at regular check-ups but it seems we all have some varience in our follow-up care.

Good to hear from you,

Be well.

Katheryn

Thanks All!

I had my CT Scan last night and hopefully will get the results today (Friday).  Trying not to worry but sometimes you can't help it.  I think about all the folks that are far worse off and then I feel ashamed that I am even worrying.  So strange that my mum was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer out of the blue and given a year to live.  She never once complained and certainly never showed any fear.  She was so brave right until the end.  I wish I had half of her bravery.  I miss her so much every day.  How many mothers and sons are diagnosed with cancer one month apart?  So not fair.  Sorry to be babbling on.  Glad you are all doing well and I am sure I will be OK too.  We will all be okay!  XO

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Thanks All!

I had my CT Scan last night and hopefully will get the results today (Friday).  Trying not to worry but sometimes you can't help it.  I think about all the folks that are far worse off and then I feel ashamed that I am even worrying.  So strange that my mum was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer out of the blue and given a year to live.  She never once complained and certainly never showed any fear.  She was so brave right until the end.  I wish I had half of her bravery.  I miss her so much every day.  How many mothers and sons are diagnosed with cancer one month apart?  So not fair.  Sorry to be babbling on.  Glad you are all doing well and I am sure I will be OK too.  We will all be okay!  XO

Oh, my.....

My heart goes out to you and to your Mum for what she must have gone through. What a crushing burden to have come crashing down on your family.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Thanks All!

Chris

I remember the great pic you used to have on this site with you and your mom.  She was a lovely lady and I know you miss her very much.  I'm so sorry.

Being someone who has suffered from scan anxiety, I am not going to tell you not to worry.  It seems unavoidable.  However, I truly believe that you are going to hear all good news.  You ARE going to be okay!  Please share your good news with us when you get it!

Martha

• Chris Ptown
    Options
    mp327 said:

Chris

I remember the great pic you used to have on this site with you and your mom.  She was a lovely lady and I know you miss her very much.  I'm so sorry.

Being someone who has suffered from scan anxiety, I am not going to tell you not to worry.  It seems unavoidable.  However, I truly believe that you are going to hear all good news.  You ARE going to be okay!  Please share your good news with us when you get it!

Martha

No Results

Thanks Martha and everyone else for giving me support.  So, I had my scan at 7pm last night and the doctor and his secretary both knew that I am moving to NJ tomorrow (Saturday).  I called a few times throughout the day and his secretary said she was sorry but he was in surgery all day but she definitely let him know TWICE that I was both anxious and was waiting for the results.  She said the scan was there in the computer but only he could give me the results.  That was at 3:30pm and it's now 6pm.  They are gone for the weekend.  So I am thinking, no results means very bad news.  Nothing I can do about it I guess.  Maybe I shouldnt have pressed him for the scan and just went about my business doing the anal probe every six months.  Oh well.

• pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options

No Results

Thanks Martha and everyone else for giving me support.  So, I had my scan at 7pm last night and the doctor and his secretary both knew that I am moving to NJ tomorrow (Saturday).  I called a few times throughout the day and his secretary said she was sorry but he was in surgery all day but she definitely let him know TWICE that I was both anxious and was waiting for the results.  She said the scan was there in the computer but only he could give me the results.  That was at 3:30pm and it's now 6pm.  They are gone for the weekend.  So I am thinking, no results means very bad news.  Nothing I can do about it I guess.  Maybe I shouldnt have pressed him for the scan and just went about my business doing the anal probe every six months.  Oh well.

No results

Hi Chris,

We all suffer scanxiety, & there's nothing worse than expecting to be told the results, but them not coming. But no news means exactly that. It's just you are now thinking the worst without any evidence to support that thought. I hope the move proves to be a distraction, & that when he/she has a moment that they will let you know the outcome. 

Try not to fret about what you don't know (easier said than done I know), & try using some breathing exercises to help you relax.

Best wishes for good news & a good move to NJ

Liz