How Were You After Surgery?

MaggieCat
MaggieCat Member Posts: 54

Lump removal and Sentinel node biopsy with possible axillary lymph node dissection ....Surgery is 10/31.......

Would appreciate any thoughts on "after the surgery".... Wondering how many days of downtime... This is the time of year to get the house ready for the holidays.    I'm righthanded, the left breast is the one with the issue.  Don't have a cleaning service and wonder if I need to get one, or if discussion about not using the left arm is really short term.... What was your experience?  (My better half doesn't need any additional things piled on his to do list...)

Thanks... Maggie

Comments

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    downtime

Hi,  your doctor will tell you what you can and cannot do after the surgery.  You'll have a post op appointment at which time you should get clearance for normal activities.  I had bilateral mast and there were drains in for a couple of weeks.  I did do some housework, but wasn't really supposed to.  So I felt pretty good.  Not sure if you have drains with lumpectomy.  The sentinal node biopsy didn't cause much discomfort.  You'll be fine, just try to listen to your post op instructions from the doctor.

Best, 

Sharon

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We are all different!

I had a right modified radical mastectomy and I'm right handed.  I did not have to do anything I did not want to after surgery.  Hubby took over all house chores, cooking, and pet care (2 dogs and my bunny), adult Son took over all barn/horse chores, so all I had to do was what I WANTED to do.  I could have done a lot more than I did but enjoyed just doing what I wanted to/felt like doing .

There is a program (sorry I don't remember the name of it - sure that someone else will) that covers house cleaning.

I found that the more I did (within reason), the better I felt and the more I felt like doing/could do.

Get a referral to a LymphEdema Therapist.  Not just a PT that claims to 'know all about LE' but one who has actually had LE education and the certificate to prove it.  (My LET guy is an OT with his Masters in OT).  They will educate you about LE.  LE can present itself at any time after surgery (or trauma).  Especially when nodes are removed but can also happen when nodes are not removed.  Unfortunately, MANY DR are not well educated about LE.

We are each so unique - there is no "One Size Fits All" when it comes to us or our BCers.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Rague said:

We are all different!

I had a right modified radical mastectomy and I'm right handed.  I did not have to do anything I did not want to after surgery.  Hubby took over all house chores, cooking, and pet care (2 dogs and my bunny), adult Son took over all barn/horse chores, so all I had to do was what I WANTED to do.  I could have done a lot more than I did but enjoyed just doing what I wanted to/felt like doing .

There is a program (sorry I don't remember the name of it - sure that someone else will) that covers house cleaning.

I found that the more I did (within reason), the better I felt and the more I felt like doing/could do.

Get a referral to a LymphEdema Therapist.  Not just a PT that claims to 'know all about LE' but one who has actually had LE education and the certificate to prove it.  (My LET guy is an OT with his Masters in OT).  They will educate you about LE.  LE can present itself at any time after surgery (or trauma).  Especially when nodes are removed but can also happen when nodes are not removed.  Unfortunately, MANY DR are not well educated about LE.

We are each so unique - there is no "One Size Fits All" when it comes to us or our BCers.

Susan

Really good advice Susan...........because Lymph Edema  can come along at any time ...even years later.

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    GlowMore said:

Really good advice Susan...........because Lymph Edema  can come along at any time ...even years later.

My experience

Hi Maggie,

This is how it went for me, and since it was such a breeze I hope it is this easy for you. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy, six nodes removed, on Thursday morning. I kept waiting for it to hurt and it didn't. I did my normal walk, two miles, the next morning, went to a baby shower on Saturday afternoon, and could have gone back to work Monday, but I'd already taken it off. I never needed pain medication and just resumed life. I did, however, get a hematoma under my armpit which had to be drained twice. It was annoying and uncomfortable, but didn't hurt. 

Hoping your surgery and recovery are as uneventful:)

xo

Victoria

• MaggieCat
    Rague said:

We are all different!

Susan

Thanks Rague

Wow... dogs , bunny and horses! 

Have scheduled an appointment with the Lymphedema PT the week after surgery.  We talked Thursday for 20 minutes... lots of good information!  I'll look into the house cleaning service.  I want to do what I can to minimize the risk of swelling AND stay as active as I can at the same time... just don't want the house to get away from me!

• MaggieCat
    aisling8 said:

My experience

Hi Maggie,

This is how it went for me, and since it was such a breeze I hope it is this easy for you. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy, six nodes removed, on Thursday morning. I kept waiting for it to hurt and it didn't. I did my normal walk, two miles, the next morning, went to a baby shower on Saturday afternoon, and could have gone back to work Monday, but I'd already taken it off. I never needed pain medication and just resumed life. I did, however, get a hematoma under my armpit which had to be drained twice. It was annoying and uncomfortable, but didn't hurt. 

Hoping your surgery and recovery are as uneventful:)

xo

Victoria

Thanks for the Sunshine!!!

Ahhhhhh.... uneventful would be mighty nice!!!!

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    post op

I had a lumpectomy too with removal of 2 sentinel nodes. Minimal pain afterwards, nothing that ibuprofen didn't take care of. The sentinel node incision tended to bother me more. Each incision felt like it had a strip of wet cardboard under it with various bumps that didn't always bend right as I moved - totally normal I was told (and has since resolved). Check with your dr of course, but mine said it was OK to put heat on it as long as I was careful with the temperature since the area could be numb for awhile after surgery - don't want to burn the area. I used one of those long skinny neck pillows that can be heated in the microwave - laid it along my breast and under my armpit and it helped a lot. Also have a small pillow to use in bed to rest your arm and breast on. And take the pillow with you in the car for under the seatbelt strap.

breastcancer.org was a website my oncologist said was one that was OK for researching info, had research based info and safe to read. There is a wide variety of specific breast cancer forums there that I found very helpful - there is one for ladies that have had lumpectomies you should take a look at - lots of helpful suggestions. I later also read the forums on the July chemo ladies, the  Fall Rads, and now the one for women taking Arimidex as my tumor was sensitive to estrogen. Be sure and mark any forums you like as favorites so it's easy to find them again, & also easy to see when new material has been added.

Good to hear you've already talked with the therapist about the lymphedema precautions, I wasn't allowed to vacuum for awhile post op, getting a cleaning service for awhile sounds like a good idea.

• MaggieCat

post op

I had a lumpectomy too with removal of 2 sentinel nodes. Minimal pain afterwards, nothing that ibuprofen didn't take care of. The sentinel node incision tended to bother me more. Each incision felt like it had a strip of wet cardboard under it with various bumps that didn't always bend right as I moved - totally normal I was told (and has since resolved). Check with your dr of course, but mine said it was OK to put heat on it as long as I was careful with the temperature since the area could be numb for awhile after surgery - don't want to burn the area. I used one of those long skinny neck pillows that can be heated in the microwave - laid it along my breast and under my armpit and it helped a lot. Also have a small pillow to use in bed to rest your arm and breast on. And take the pillow with you in the car for under the seatbelt strap.

breastcancer.org was a website my oncologist said was one that was OK for researching info, had research based info and safe to read. There is a wide variety of specific breast cancer forums there that I found very helpful - there is one for ladies that have had lumpectomies you should take a look at - lots of helpful suggestions. I later also read the forums on the July chemo ladies, the  Fall Rads, and now the one for women taking Arimidex as my tumor was sensitive to estrogen. Be sure and mark any forums you like as favorites so it's easy to find them again, & also easy to see when new material has been added.

Good to hear you've already talked with the therapist about the lymphedema precautions, I wasn't allowed to vacuum for awhile post op, getting a cleaning service for awhile sounds like a good idea.

Puffin - Skinny Neck Pillow?

There are several configurations on neck pillows that microwave.  Wondering if your pillow was long? donut shaped? Was was the filler?    Have a neck donut pillow (not a microwave one)... Getting my "ducks in a row"!

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    MaggieCat said:

There are several configurations on neck pillows that microwave.  Wondering if your pillow was long? donut shaped? Was was the filler?    Have a neck donut pillow (not a microwave one)... Getting my "ducks in a row"!

Lumpectomy

Like Victoria, I kept waiting for it to hurt and for me to feel bad.  It really never happened.   I got new pjs, positioned myself on the sofa with a good book and a remote control and acted like a princess.  My husband treated me like one, but what I never told him was that he didn't have to.  I felt perfectly fine - it was obvious that they hurt me - I was sore at the incisions and uneasy about whether I should do this or that, but by the 2nd day I think I figured out that I was really fine. 

Chores can wait for a week if there is no one to do them for you.  The most important thing is to take good care of yourself even if you do feel fine because you don't want to pull anything or overdo.  You will have had major surgery and will need some good R & R no matter how good you feel - and I hope you do feel good.  Oh, I had no drains, and 2 sentinal nodes removed. 

Suzanne

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    MaggieCat said:

pillows

the microwaveable pillow was a long skinny one with tiney "beads" in that could be formed nicely around my breast and under my armpit. I forgot - no drains for me either, I don't think lumpectomies get drains, just mastectomies.

The pillow I used in bed afterwards was a small throw pillow from the couch.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    We are all different-with me

We are all different-with me with Lumpectomy I was out of work (NOT physcial-I am a receptionist) for about 2 wks-IT could have been less-I had a SECOND lumpectomy on the same side 3 yrs later and only missed few days. (planned it around a weekend)

first time actual cancer , 2nd time was scar tissue they thought was cancer..

Denise

I too am right handed and left side surgery

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member

We are all different-with me

We are all different-with me with Lumpectomy I was out of work (NOT physcial-I am a receptionist) for about 2 wks-IT could have been less-I had a SECOND lumpectomy on the same side 3 yrs later and only missed few days. (planned it around a weekend)

first time actual cancer , 2nd time was scar tissue they thought was cancer..

Denise

I too am right handed and left side surgery

Prayers for You MaggieCat

Prayers for you for your Surgery tomorrow Maggie.......  Please let us know how you are as soon as you feel up to it...........  Mine was a Lumpectomy and back in 2002 they did the Lymphpectomy totally (took 19 lymph nodes and 6 were cancer).... I went home the same day...my sister was with me for a week and I probably slept that first day and next day a lot but after that we were up and about ....went out and bought a new car actually with a drain under my left arm..........just wore a jean shirt and WENT....  :)   I think they gave me pills for pain but I did not take them after the first day.......  We are with you tomorrow Maggie***