It's time for an update

Options
Fight for my love
Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member

Dear all,

It's been an extremely rough year for us. My husband's cancer came back at the end of 2013, in pelvic where they took the rectum out. He had 8 folfiri+ erbitux and 28 rounds of radiation with oral 5-fu, hoping all these treatments would shrink the tumor and save his bladder. unfortunately, the tumor really hasn't gone smaller enough to save his bladder. Oct 29, doctors in MGH are going to do an pelvic exenteration to give the best survival chance to my husband. This is a very extensive surgery. I am so scared that my brain even don't function so well. Any comments, prayers, thoughts, information, personal experiences are welcome. Thank you very much.

PS: My husband's initial diagnosis was in 2009, rectal cancer stage 2, did preoperative radiation and 5-fu pump, surgery, and 12 rounds of5-FU+leucovorin+oxaliplatin. After 4 years and a half, cancer came back unexpected. I feel recurrence is harder to deal with than initial. English is not my native language, sorry that if I am rambling.

Comments

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you

My cancer came back only after 8 months. I think thats easier than your situation because after 4 1/2 years you're starting to think you're cured. Yes, recurrence is very hard. Don't know what to stay except hang in there, one step at a time and try to stay positive.

Easyflip/Richard

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Im so sorry.  Prayers and

Im so sorry.  Prayers and thoughts are with you.

• geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry:

I remember you from a few years past.  When I don't see some of the old timers posting I hope it is because they have beat the monster and have moved on to enjoying their lives and trying to put cancer behind them although I guess it is always on one's mind.  I am so sorry the beast has come back.  It's tough.  Please post from time to time and let us know how things are going.  Hopefully, the surgery will be successful.  Recurrence after more than 4 years must be heartbreaking.  My George was never NED, was never going to be, but we did get 3 1/2 years instead of a couple months was more than we had hoped for. 

Your husband beat the monster back once and hopefully he can do it again. 

Hugs - Tina

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Ramble on

You ramble on in any language you want. Really, if you can't find the words you want in English, write it in your native language. I bet we could find a good enough translation. 

This forum is here for you and for everyone, and as long as you keep some simple rules (no profanity, personal attacks and the like) you go ahead and post. 

i am extremely sorry to hear that your husband's Cancer has returned and you have heard those awful words, 'Stage IV'.  It is gut wrenching. I know, because it happened to me. Like Richard/Eastflip, mine happened after a few glorious months of being NED.  And I too, think that it must be harder getting the news after so many years. How wonderful it must be to think that it is all behind you, and how devestating to hear that it is back.

i have put the 29th on my calendar, and I will pray (my own personal choice) and think of him with caring thoughts all day. 

I will also think of you, knowing that the journey is just as rough 

Blessings! We are here to support you, so visit often. 

Sue Trubrit

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I am so truly sorry you are

I am so truly sorry you are going through this. You are right recurrence is harder. I have had 3 recurrences and they were all way harder than the diagnosis.

• Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the

Thank you very much for the reply. It's been a very rough year. August of 2013, all of the sudden we lost our beloved family and friend, my husband's sister. At the end of the 2013, after going through CT scan, PET scan, finally boipsy confirmed my husband's cancer came back. When I was just thinking life would be back to normal again, this cancer came back, and my whole world was crashed again. Honestly, I had been depressed for a long time for what happened. In the last 5 years, I had to give up my career twice in order to take good care of my husband. 

All I am hoping for is a successful surgery. Doctor says there is only one chance and we got to do it right. We are grateful that we are offered by a chance. We are very worried and concerned about what will happen after the surgery. My biggest worry is how the surgery is going to affect his walking if there is any nerve damage during surgery. The surgery itself is so scary, everytime when my husband reads information about the surgery online, he cries...

Anyway, thank you very much for listening. I appreciated all the inputs.