Our little greyhound pupply

Options
janderson1964
janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member

Off topic but wanted to post to my friends here. As most of you know I am a real animal lover. Yesturday I was cleaning upstairs in the house and Angel (My avatar) and our other 2 dogs were downstairs. Once in a while I would come down to check on them. On my way back downstairs I heard a death scream out of her. I ran to her. I don't know what happened but she broke her front leg. It was just swinging there as she held it up to my and cried. It was one of the worst experiences of my life even with all I have been through.

My wife was still at work and i had to regain my composure right away and picked her up,held her in one arm to comfort her and avoid further damage and run around lock all of the doors, secure our other animals and call the vet, then drive her there. It is a 10 minute ride to the vet that seemed like it took at least an hour. They sedated her and put a splint on her and said we would have to take her to the hospital to have surgery. So my wife and I took her to the hospital last night and she is having surgery today. They said she will be fine and can go home today.

I have always had compassion for all caregivers especially my wife but this gave me a new perspective. I know some of you might think she is only a dog, but to us who never had kids she is one of our kids. I think it is worse being the caregiver than the patient now. When I was driving her to the vet I had imagined if she was my child. The thought overwhelmed me.

So my hats off to all of you caregivers who tirelessly worry endlessly and care for us patients. Especially to those who lost someone to this disease and still contribute to this forum.

Thank you

Comments

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Jeff, I have 4 kids....one of

Jeff, I have 4 kids....one of them has 4 legs and is furry :).   I can imagine how heartbreaking it was to see her in such pain.  Will be thinking of Angel and hoping she's feeling better really soon.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    jen2012 said:

Jeff, I have 4 kids....one of

Jeff, I have 4 kids....one of them has 4 legs and is furry :).   I can imagine how heartbreaking it was to see her in such pain.  Will be thinking of Angel and hoping she's feeling better really soon.

OMG! I'm glad she's going to

OMG! I'm glad she's going to be okay but how scary! I'm also a big animal lover and advocate. We have four rescued dogs. I think I might have mentiond that before, if so, sorry for repeating myself. We have two pitbull crosses, one pitbull, and a lab/cocker cross that was given up by his onwer at the dog daycare/grooming salon I used to own until cancer took it away from me. They all get along great and love each other. My daughter and I also have horses. So I can totally relate to loving animals. And Angel is a darling!!

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I don't post often but I need

I don't post often but I need to reply to this. I hope your sweet puppy is doing well today. I am a huge animal lover, we have 3 dogs, 4 cats, 2 rabbits, 2 rats, 2 turtles, and one hamster. My youngest dog Ella (yellow lab) when she was 4 months old I heard the same horrible sound while she was outside playing with the other dogs. She broke her back leg, it was a small break so no surgery and lots of pretty colored casts ( they got icky after a week) and the cone of shame. She healed quickly though and within a week wasn't as sad and in so much pain.  All is good now, and your puppy will be good as new soon too. (((Hugs)))

ps

my vet vet said he wished the break was worse so she could have surgery because recovery is easier so although it's hard the surgery is a good thing, in a strange way.

• LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

Oh, ouch!  :(  Your poor

Oh, ouch!  :(  Your poor little pooch....but I wonder how he did that to himself!?  I know how horrible you must feel right now, after all, he's one of your "babies"!  I know I'd feel the same way if my Sophie hurt herself like that.  It's such a feeling of helplessness, and yes, as you imagined, caregivers get the same feeling taking care of our human patients as well.  But whether it's an animal or a person, love is the driving force that makes us want to provide the best care possible and to do whatever it takes.  So don't worry, you're a great "Dad", so I'm sure your pup will be back up and running around in no time!  :)

Hugs,

Cyn

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    So right

Being the caregiver to a human or a furry friend has got to be one of the most difficult jobs there is.

Hope Angel mends quickly and with no lingering after effects.

Marie who loves kitties (and puppies)

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Wishing Angel a speedy recovery!!

Our pets are part of the family. We hurt when they hurt. I thought I was going to have to rush my cockapoo to the vet because he snuck off my deck (I had a gate up but he found a way to climb off anyway), Thinking he was still there, I shouted out the door for the dogs to come inside. I noticed my dog coming up the steps and he reached around and put his paws on the deck, pull himself forward and slipped. he fell off my deck which is about 6 feet off the ground. My heart sank. He came back up and walked slowly, but within a few minutes he was running and jumping. Thank God he's fine! I can't imagine how bad you must feel. Our pets are like our babies.

Lin

PS Let us know how Angel is doing!

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Furry Family Members

Our Furry Family members mean a lot to us.  They are part of our pack, or are we part of their pack?  Either way they are part of our family.  They give us unconditional love and support.  We are sending our thoughts and prayers for your family member's speedy recovery.

Best Always,  mike

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Common injury

sadly leg breaks is a common injury for these delicate little dogs. My friends puppy (Whippet) fell down the last few steps of the stairs and broke her leg. 

I hope she makes a full recovery. 

PSUE - Trubrit

• janderson1964
    Options
    Thank you all. Its good to

Thank you all. Its good to come here and feel loved for anything even if it is not cancer related. Maybe having problems other than cancer isn't all negative. It means we are living life!!!!

They said the surgery went really well. We brought her home last night.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options

Thank you all. Its good to come here and feel loved for anything even if it is not cancer related. Maybe having problems other than cancer isn't all negative. It means we are living life!!!!

Yay, she's home! Give her a

Yay, she's home! Give her a kiss on her sweet little face for me, please!

• Ruthmomto4
    Options

Great news!

i hope she is doing well today!

• Yolllmbs
    Yolllmbs Member Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Happy she's doing well

My puppy (she's 10 years old) had cataract surgery on the first day of my chemo.  Keeping her secure and content and getting her medication on time, gave me perspective.  It was so much easier while she needed me to take care of her.  Our pets love unconditionally.  I can't imagine anything I wouldn't do for my pets. I'm so happy surgery is done and she's on the mend.

Yolanda

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    Yolllmbs said:

Happy she's doing well

My puppy (she's 10 years old) had cataract surgery on the first day of my chemo.  Keeping her secure and content and getting her medication on time, gave me perspective.  It was so much easier while she needed me to take care of her.  Our pets love unconditionally.  I can't imagine anything I wouldn't do for my pets. I'm so happy surgery is done and she's on the mend.

Yolanda

so hard

so so hard.......when our pets suffer it is excrutiating....the worst......your poor little Angel.....sending love.....

mags

• janderson1964
    Options
    She is pretty much back to

She is pretty much back to herself already. Now comes the next hard part which is keeping her from running and jumping for the next 6 week. A lot of constant attention and being locked in the crate or bathroom which is so hard for her and us since she is used to having free riegn of the house and back yard but its for her own good. She is already jumping on and off the couch if we are not closely watching her.

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
     The caregivers are the

The caregivers are the best.  They help you get through it all and I think they worry more than we do for sure and we worry a lot.  I hope your puppy is doing well.  I'm sure she's back to her puppy ways even with a cast.  I wonder what she got caught on.  It stinks when you can't figure it out. 

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My little dog

Has stuck by my side during my entire illness. I nicknamed him 'chemo-sabi' lol When we're in bed he has to be laying on me or leaning on me. Sometimes he just sticks a paw on me to make sure I'm there. People even say we look alike! I owe him big time, dogs are the best.

Easyflip/Richard

• janderson1964
    Options
    Easyflip said:

My little dog

Has stuck by my side during my entire illness. I nicknamed him 'chemo-sabi' lol When we're in bed he has to be laying on me or leaning on me. Sometimes he just sticks a paw on me to make sure I'm there. People even say we look alike! I owe him big time, dogs are the best.

Easyflip/Richard

Great name. We also have 2

Great name. We also have 2 weimeraners that we have had shortly after I was diagnosed.  I stayed up all night in the living room before my last surgery and the male Zowie stuck with me the whole night rather than going to the bedroom with my wife and our other weim Gracey.

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Oh Jeff

How scary, This happened to my little girl when she was a wee little puppy, I would take her to work with me, I had a door that would shut on it's own in my office, one day I went put the door and she followed me, I didn't see her, and the door shut on her right leg breaking it.  I freaked out, drove to the vet and got her leg in a cast, I still feel the guilt and I imagine her pain that was my fault.  I'm glad at least you don't have to go through that part of it.

She will heal, and she'll be fine and I'm so glad she has such a good "daddy" in you.  This brought tears to my eyes.  

Winter Marie

• janderson1964
    Options

Oh Jeff

How scary, This happened to my little girl when she was a wee little puppy, I would take her to work with me, I had a door that would shut on it's own in my office, one day I went put the door and she followed me, I didn't see her, and the door shut on her right leg breaking it.  I freaked out, drove to the vet and got her leg in a cast, I still feel the guilt and I imagine her pain that was my fault.  I'm glad at least you don't have to go through that part of it.

She will heal, and she'll be fine and I'm so glad she has such a good "daddy" in you.  This brought tears to my eyes.  

Winter Marie

Thanks Marie. That sounds

Thanks Marie. That sounds aweful what you wentt through with your puppy. That wasnt your fault. Just a freak accident like what probobly happened to Angel. You just had the added misery of seeing it happen.

• Ruthmomto4
    Options

She is pretty much back to

She is pretty much back to herself already. Now comes the next hard part which is keeping her from running and jumping for the next 6 week. A lot of constant attention and being locked in the crate or bathroom which is so hard for her and us since she is used to having free riegn of the house and back yard but its for her own good. She is already jumping on and off the couch if we are not closely watching her.

I hope she is still doing

I hope she is still doing well! I came to see how she was doing. I have kids and pets and I love pets just like one of my kids. My 3 dogs stick with me no matter what, and they miss my husband. We also have 4 cats, they are missing him the most. I hope she is still doing good!