2»

Comments

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    lucascy said:

Thank you

Marcia,

Thank you, Maricia.  I really appreciate the insight.  

Cynthia

Age thoughts

Age doesn't matter when it comes to decisions about body image IMHO.  Age and age-related health issues do effect our ability to tolerate surgery of any kind and there are sometimes different criteria applied as we get older and here's hoping we all do.  A good friend did not have reconstruction at the time of her mastectomy (one breast). Several years later she looked into reconstruction because of the weight of the prosthesis and the physical nature of the work she does.  At this later date, her health care provider would not do it unless she lost weight because of the increased surgical risk.  She was in her late 50's and had no other health issues and she wasn't THAT overweight (maybe 30 lbs.).   She was crushed because she was tired of the prosthesis (it's big because she's big busted).  She wanted her good breast reduced and an implant to replace the missing one.    I'm not sure if I have all the parts of this story correct, but she's decided not to have reconstruction and it's now been 10 years and she's 62 now and probably won't do anything at this point because she feels she can't.  I don't know if she could have insisted, pushed for reconstruction at that point or not.  She could have, of course, lost weight, but she didn't.   I also don't know if it was just recommended that she lose weight or if the surgeon said no way unless you do, either.  Of if there were other factors.  Regardless, she feels she cannot have reconstruction at this point.

I post this only because sometimes there are other factors taken into the equation when one waits too long and gets older and develops other health issues.  It is surgery under any circumstances.   I don't know if age plays into the choice of reconstruction type initially, either.  It may.  I'm sure the type of reconstruction might make a difference since the length of being under are incredibly different between DEIP and implants.  Things can happen under anesthesia and they don't want you under any longer than necessary and I imagine as we age, the risks vs. the benefits are tipped differently.

As an aside, I was 63 at the time of my surgery, a lumpectomy.  Had I had a mastectomy, I don't know whether I would have had reconstruction or not.  I always said I wouldn't, yet even now I know I just feel better with 2 breasts and for me, I don't think it would matter if they were reconstructed or real.  It's about body image and how we deal with our battle scars, both emotional and physical.  It's all individual. 

Good luck in your decision.  Have good discussions with your surgeon and make a list of questions to ask.

Suzanne 

• lucascy
    lucascy Member Posts: 17
    Options

Age thoughts

Age doesn't matter when it comes to decisions about body image IMHO.  Age and age-related health issues do effect our ability to tolerate surgery of any kind and there are sometimes different criteria applied as we get older and here's hoping we all do.  A good friend did not have reconstruction at the time of her mastectomy (one breast). Several years later she looked into reconstruction because of the weight of the prosthesis and the physical nature of the work she does.  At this later date, her health care provider would not do it unless she lost weight because of the increased surgical risk.  She was in her late 50's and had no other health issues and she wasn't THAT overweight (maybe 30 lbs.).   She was crushed because she was tired of the prosthesis (it's big because she's big busted).  She wanted her good breast reduced and an implant to replace the missing one.    I'm not sure if I have all the parts of this story correct, but she's decided not to have reconstruction and it's now been 10 years and she's 62 now and probably won't do anything at this point because she feels she can't.  I don't know if she could have insisted, pushed for reconstruction at that point or not.  She could have, of course, lost weight, but she didn't.   I also don't know if it was just recommended that she lose weight or if the surgeon said no way unless you do, either.  Of if there were other factors.  Regardless, she feels she cannot have reconstruction at this point.

I post this only because sometimes there are other factors taken into the equation when one waits too long and gets older and develops other health issues.  It is surgery under any circumstances.   I don't know if age plays into the choice of reconstruction type initially, either.  It may.  I'm sure the type of reconstruction might make a difference since the length of being under are incredibly different between DEIP and implants.  Things can happen under anesthesia and they don't want you under any longer than necessary and I imagine as we age, the risks vs. the benefits are tipped differently.

As an aside, I was 63 at the time of my surgery, a lumpectomy.  Had I had a mastectomy, I don't know whether I would have had reconstruction or not.  I always said I wouldn't, yet even now I know I just feel better with 2 breasts and for me, I don't think it would matter if they were reconstructed or real.  It's about body image and how we deal with our battle scars, both emotional and physical.  It's all individual. 

Good luck in your decision.  Have good discussions with your surgeon and make a list of questions to ask.

Suzanne 

Extremely helpful

Suzanne,

i cannot not tell you how helpful your post is.  It actually confirms that I am going to have reconstruction right away.  I met with my family doctor this week to discuss her concerns and thoughts.  Bottom line, she said to go for it if that is what I want.  All these posts have been so helpful.  

Thank you everyone.  

Cynthia

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    lucascy said:

Extremely helpful

Suzanne,

i cannot not tell you how helpful your post is.  It actually confirms that I am going to have reconstruction right away.  I met with my family doctor this week to discuss her concerns and thoughts.  Bottom line, she said to go for it if that is what I want.  All these posts have been so helpful.  

Thank you everyone.  

Cynthia

Please don't take my post as advice

it's just stuff I think about - the getting older and developing other health issues part.  I have no idea what I would do if I needed a mastectomy tomorrow.  I think I do, but you never know until you're actually faced with a situation.   I do not know what the medical philosophy is regarding reconstruction in older women and/or older women with health issues.  You aren't an "older woman" yet!  Not by a longshot. 

Good luck,

Suzanne

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options

Age thoughts

Suzanne 

Maybe your friend could get a light foam prosthesis, Suzanne

I have a light prosthesis that I use sometimes around the house and it is feather light and I'm a D cup. I actually like the weight of the regular prosthesis as I feel out of balance without it. The light ones are good for women who find them heavy though.