Vertigo

Options
Mikemetz
Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member

As Roseann Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something" but this might be a new one for us here.  I am 5+ months out from a jaw resection--left side, and 5+ years past my successful rads and chemo gig.  Not too long after the jaw surgery I started to have some periodic dizziness that was originally attributed to some meds I was prescribed at that time.  I've stopped the meds and they have cleared my system, but I still get vertigo when I go too fast from standing to being horizontal, and vice versa.  It also happens when I roll over in bed too fast.  It also affects my walking some--I tend to drift from side to side a bit. 

Has anyone else experienced this and been given a good answer for its cause?  I see my ENT next week--he made the initial cancer diagnosis so is familiar with my history.  It might not be related to my cancer treatments or the surgery--but then again it might, because...it's always something with this stuff.

Mike

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Options
    I seem to get. . .

I seem to get things that are mentioned here.  I have recently begun to have dizzy spells but just finished HBOT.  Vision has been effected so I think that might be the reason for the dizziness for me.  Do you have any blood pressure issues?  Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    it could be low blood

it could be low blood pressure, I have to stay still from sitting to standing to get my balance. in the past I have stood too quickly and passed out. This is my norm I've always had low blood pressure. Sometimes I have to have a sugar fix.. Another reason you can get dizzy when moving too quickly is ear problems.

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

it could be low blood

it could be low blood pressure, I have to stay still from sitting to standing to get my balance. in the past I have stood too quickly and passed out. This is my norm I've always had low blood pressure. Sometimes I have to have a sugar fix.. Another reason you can get dizzy when moving too quickly is ear problems.

No Mike

Have experienced a lot of things but not vertigo. hope there is a quick fix for you.

• Godskeep
    Godskeep Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Blood pressure issue

I've had some issues like this and a few times It was with some of my medications but I do know that what you are discribing is a blood pressure related issue so please check with your doctors.

You can buy or even have your doctor fill out the paper work to issurance for an at home blood pressure cuff kit to take your blood pressure at home and keep a daily log. That's what I am currantly doing because mine has been too high and too low at times so they are trying to track it.I have gotten dizzy when I've been laying down or sitting for long periods and I get up like a"normal" person would only to have the room spin and vision dim for a second, kind of discerning so I know how you feel.

Wish I could be more helpful, God bless and good luck.

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Since my ear started

the feeling of pressure (that was back in May, and it still feels like it's on the verge of popping)....I've been "off"....not full fledged vertigo, but I have the feeling that I'm listing to the right.  The standing up quickly and getting dizzy hints at low blood pressure....however, the rolling over in bed and getting dizzy leans towards real vertigo.  My mom had radiation to her larnyx area, and suffered from vertigo....tho she'd get it and it'd last for a week or more.....it was crippling for her.  The ENT would do an Epley Manuver on her, and it was nearly an instant fix.  Maybe ask the ENT about it?

http://www.webmd.com/brain/liberatory-maneuvers-for-vertigo

So....radiation damage?  Hard to tell....my ENT attributed my listing to the right as rad damage.

• schmij30
    schmij30 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Vestibular disorder?

Hi Mike,

I did the rads, chemo, neck disection gig 4 years ago and have similar symptoms.  I've been chasing an answer to the lightheaded/vertigo feeling over the last 4 years with no success.  My ENT thinks I may have a Vestibular disorder from the treatment and I have my first Vestibular Physical Therapy appointment tomorrow afternoon.  Not sure if it will be helpful but I'll give it a shot.  It might be worth your time to ask one of you Drs about this disorder or read a little about it.    

• Ginadet
    Ginadet Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Benign

I was diagnosed with Benign Positional Vertigo (BPV) at the time I was experiencing mild symptoms of my cancer and was later told they were not related!  The vertigo comes on every now and then and is really horrible.  When I have it, I cannot sleep on my left hand side or flat.  I will sleep sitting up. I too have been recommended to have physical therapy.  Until you see someone, try sleeping in a vertical position to see if that helps.

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Since my ear started

the feeling of pressure (that was back in May, and it still feels like it's on the verge of popping)....I've been "off"....not full fledged vertigo, but I have the feeling that I'm listing to the right.  The standing up quickly and getting dizzy hints at low blood pressure....however, the rolling over in bed and getting dizzy leans towards real vertigo.  My mom had radiation to her larnyx area, and suffered from vertigo....tho she'd get it and it'd last for a week or more.....it was crippling for her.  The ENT would do an Epley Manuver on her, and it was nearly an instant fix.  Maybe ask the ENT about it?

http://www.webmd.com/brain/liberatory-maneuvers-for-vertigo

So....radiation damage?  Hard to tell....my ENT attributed my listing to the right as rad damage.

wow

this is interesting stuff......

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike

I had the same problem after my first radiation treatment, I would be walking and run right into the door or into a wall, or if I was sitting down and got up to fast would almost fall over. My daughter found a stuff called Mannatech Ambrotose Powder and it made a big different in my life. Not sure if it will help you but worth a try if nothing else is working.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331166048941?lpid=82

Tim Hondo

• MJ70
    MJ70 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Mike/vertigo

I am ten years out from SSC and 5 years out from free flibula flap on my lower left jaw bone.. I have had lots of dizzyness 

from post prandial hypo tenstion to ortho static hypotension to just brain fog.. some  reasons have  been blood pressure pills and other meds...I have had meneirs before and that sounds more like those symtoms..

I am now on a feeding tube ..mickey button ....and using the formula they supply and things have improved alot in the diszziness..

of course some of my dizziness was from being dehrydrated ...goes on and on ...never know what to expect but i keep being positive and hope it all gets better...

good luck

Mel 

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    never had vertigo but wishing

never had vertigo but wishing you the best and praying you get the answers you need.

God bless you,

dj

• D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Interesting

Mike

I'm about 4 1/2 years out from treatment and I had my first vertigo episode ever, about two weeks ago.  It was so bad that my eyes were doing that odd tracking movement (nystagmus). I attributed it to the effects of a very low pressure front that blew through here at the same time. Did I mention that treatment side effects have turned me into a human barometer?  Sinus pressure and headaches whenever the weather changes.  I will bring this up to my doctor as well.  Keep us posted.  Causes can be benign, such as inner ear inflamation, or more serious, relating to neuropathy.  

Deb

• Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wait and see

Thanks to everyone for your concern and suggestions about my vertigo.  I saw my ENT this week and he says it could be from any number of reasons--maybe or maybe not related to rads and/or the resection.  He basically said that area has been damaged in so many ways that trying to pin it down to one cause is very difficult.  Luckily, the vertigo has been much less severe in the last 2 weeks, so I am less concerned lately.  I ahve my next PET scan in early December and that might show something.  So for now, more wait and watch...

mike

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Mikemetz said:

Wait and see

Thanks to everyone for your concern and suggestions about my vertigo.  I saw my ENT this week and he says it could be from any number of reasons--maybe or maybe not related to rads and/or the resection.  He basically said that area has been damaged in so many ways that trying to pin it down to one cause is very difficult.  Luckily, the vertigo has been much less severe in the last 2 weeks, so I am less concerned lately.  I ahve my next PET scan in early December and that might show something.  So for now, more wait and watch...

mike

Hi Mike

ENT is right; every time I would go to one of my Doctors for any problem they always told me “radiation side effects” All the best on the up-coming PET my friend.

Tim Hondo

• francma
    francma Member Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ginadet said:

I was diagnosed with Benign

I was diagnosed with Benign Positional Vertigo (BPV) at the time I was experiencing mild symptoms of my cancer and was later told they were not related!  The vertigo comes on every now and then and is really horrible.  When I have it, I cannot sleep on my left hand side or flat.  I will sleep sitting up. I too have been recommended to have physical therapy.  Until you see someone, try sleeping in a vertical position to see if that helps.

I was diagnosed with the

I was diagnosed with the same. First time was told it is the crystals in the ear need be shifted. So PT and the first time I did exercises For it.