Superficial blood clot

Options
JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

I went to my chemo oncologist yesterday and it turns out I have a superficial blood clot. She said it's not uncommon when we're on chemo but I don't remember reading about it on here and I've looked at a lot of old posts. Maybe I've forgotten, god knows my memory is bad enough.

Has anybody else had this? If so, what gave you relief? She told me to take a regular aspirin twice a day for a week and then baby aspirin after that. But the pain of it is quite bad. Surprising, really. It feels like an injury.

Comments

• lilacbrroller
    lilacbrroller Member Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Me too

hi.  I ended up with a big fat blood clot. I don't know what a superficial one is. How did your onc find it? Mine was discovered during a routine CT scan. It's in my,lungs and is huge, apparently. 

Im on an injectable blood thinner called lovinox. I have to give myself shots twice a day for at least six months. Ugh.

The explanation I got was just that sometimes, metasticized cancer just causes blood Clots...  Oh happy day.

good luck with yours and I hope aspirin is enough to keep,it under control. 

Karin

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    clots

My brother was told it can be caused by the cancer, the chemo and the port. He has had many clots and was hospitalized for blood clots to the lungs. He almost died. They tried teaching him to do the lovenox shots, but he wasn't capable of doing it, so he;s on Xarelto right now. So far it's working well and he's had no issues. He does't have to do the testing every week that you do on Coumadin, which is a relief. 

I don't know what is superficial clot is, but my brother has has too many clots.Aspirin and coumadin didn't work for him. His INR levels went through the roof. His INR was so high, the machine they tested him with didn't go that high. Now with the Xarelto he's doing fine (as far as clots go).

Lin

• JanJan63
    Options

clots

My brother was told it can be caused by the cancer, the chemo and the port. He has had many clots and was hospitalized for blood clots to the lungs. He almost died. They tried teaching him to do the lovenox shots, but he wasn't capable of doing it, so he;s on Xarelto right now. So far it's working well and he's had no issues. He does't have to do the testing every week that you do on Coumadin, which is a relief. 

I don't know what is superficial clot is, but my brother has has too many clots.Aspirin and coumadin didn't work for him. His INR levels went through the roof. His INR was so high, the machine they tested him with didn't go that high. Now with the Xarelto he's doing fine (as far as clots go).

Lin

The superficial ones are

The superficial ones are close to the surface rather than deep. The deep ones are dangerous for travelling to the lungs or heart. I believe they're called thrombosis but I could have that wrong. All I know is it hurts like a bugger.

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

The superficial ones are

The superficial ones are close to the surface rather than deep. The deep ones are dangerous for travelling to the lungs or heart. I believe they're called thrombosis but I could have that wrong. All I know is it hurts like a bugger.

Thanks for explaining that.

I believe my brother's were thrombosis. He did have bruising under the skin when he first started Xarelto, but now he is doing fine with it.

• lilacbrroller
    lilacbrroller Member Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Thanks for explaining that.

I believe my brother's were thrombosis. He did have bruising under the skin when he first started Xarelto, but now he is doing fine with it.

i hope you can get some relief from the pain.. Yikes. How do you know it's the blood clots that are causing the problem?  life is too short to be in pain, IMO.  I took 5 mg of oxycodone every 3 hrs or as needed. Wonderful stuff. i went through three different painkillers before I found one that agreed with me.

good luck

karin 

• JanJan63
    Options

i hope you can get some relief from the pain.. Yikes. How do you know it's the blood clots that are causing the problem?  life is too short to be in pain, IMO.  I took 5 mg of oxycodone every 3 hrs or as needed. Wonderful stuff. i went through three different painkillers before I found one that agreed with me.

good luck

karin 

I told the doctor I was

I told the doctor I was having issues with muscle cramps and she wanted to have the area checked in case it was a blood clot because it was so tender to the touch. That's how I found out. She's an associate of my regular doctor.

Karin, I take one percocet a day if I really need it. I had to ask the doctor for a new Rx although I didnt get the last one from her and I got a lecture about how I should be taking something milder and try to get off of them. Sometimes I go several days without taking one but some days it's the only thing that makes me feel anything close to normal. I was choked. I told her that I've never even smoked pot when I was younger and I'm not a druggie.

I doubt she's ever had cancer or chemo treatments so she's not in a position to make a judgement call. My friend that was on chemo for breast cancer was taking straight codeine and her doctor told her to take whatever she needed to to make herself feel better. And mine tries to make me feel like a jerk? Grrr.