Taste

Hey everyone, 

I'm writing because my dad still is having problems tasting foods and finding something that he can tolerate.  It has been a year and about 3 months since he finished treatment.  I hate this for him and everyone going through it :(    We don't take it personal of course, but I just wish there was something that sounded appetizing.  I'll go over and try to get him to eat but all he ever seems to tolerate is sandwiches and milkshakes.  Does anyone have any ideas of something new we can try?

He has tried the following and doesn't seem to eat it well:  pizza, spaghetti, bbq meats, hamburger, chicken, casserole's, even mom's potato soup!  I know this is the hardest on mom who is trying to constantly find somethng for him.  I just appreciate any tips...  I'm glad he is eating, but I want him to get in more food! 

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Cherie

 

Comments

  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Since I don't know his history

    my responses may be wide of the mark.  But in general, the issue  is WHY is he having this struggle?  Pain?  Difficulty chewing/swallowing?  Depression?   Obviously, the problem isn't as simple as finding just that he likes peas instead of beans:)   But the solution to the problem depends entirely on understanding the cause.  I'd consider a nutrition consult and follow-up.   Even if one has been previously done.  I'd be sure the right medical people are still involved in his evaluation/care.  I say this because the problem likely won't be solved until its origins are completely understood.  If his only problem is taste, then I've whiffed in this response.  I guess I'm  assuming enough of a problem with this his weight is difficult to maintain.  If it is just that food doesn't taste good, and you are trying to help him find joy in eating again, well, I don't know enough to fix it.   After my first radiation, I noticed continued improvement in taste for the first 8 years.  That is not a typo.   Sorry I can't be of more help.

     

     

    Pat

  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    H&N diet

    Cherie,

    Ditto what Pat said.

    Barring a given problem, I was constantly things to find what worked.  While I waited I happily drank smoothies to feel the food void.  After 7 months things got better and at 2y6m they are better yet.

    Matt

  • debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Cherie, praying a solution

    Cherie, praying a solution can be found to your dad's eating problem.  I know its hard on everyone.  keeping you and your family in my prayers.  let us know if it gets better with time.

    God bless you,

    dj

  • Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Hi Cherie

    Haven't seen you in a while. As I stated previously your Dad is lucky to have such a loving daughter.

    I see Pat's point and maybe ypour Dad may want to try that road. I can tell you that before cancer I liked sausage. A few weeks into radiation I hated it along with many other foods including coffee which tore me up because I always loved coffee. My taste for coffee came back about four months after radiation and now just after 4and a half years of ending radiation I like sausage again. We are all different in aquiring back what we once had, so my adivise would be he should just keep experimenting as I jump onto Matt's boat now.

    Enjoy the day

          Jeff

  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Food changes after treatment....

    or maybe I should say how some of us look at food.  To me nowdays, it's "fuel".....so generally I take it in the easiest possible way, and that is in soups.  Nothing tastes the same as before.....and tho I sure don't mind going out for dinner, or getting some take home from the Chinese place....I'll eat it and like the few couple of bites....the rest of the bites are just to fuel my energy. 

    If he's got things he likes to eat or doesn't mind eating.....and his weight is good.....then so be it. 

    p

  • donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    easiest way

    Take him to a buffet or two and try dozens of foods. Fastest and easiest way to see what flavors and textures might work. Good luck.

  • CherieLW
    CherieLW Member Posts: 472

    Since I don't know his history

    my responses may be wide of the mark.  But in general, the issue  is WHY is he having this struggle?  Pain?  Difficulty chewing/swallowing?  Depression?   Obviously, the problem isn't as simple as finding just that he likes peas instead of beans:)   But the solution to the problem depends entirely on understanding the cause.  I'd consider a nutrition consult and follow-up.   Even if one has been previously done.  I'd be sure the right medical people are still involved in his evaluation/care.  I say this because the problem likely won't be solved until its origins are completely understood.  If his only problem is taste, then I've whiffed in this response.  I guess I'm  assuming enough of a problem with this his weight is difficult to maintain.  If it is just that food doesn't taste good, and you are trying to help him find joy in eating again, well, I don't know enough to fix it.   After my first radiation, I noticed continued improvement in taste for the first 8 years.  That is not a typo.   Sorry I can't be of more help.

     

     

    Pat

    I shoudl have been more

    I shoudl have been more specific.  He just says that he can't taste much so he doesn't have an apetite.  I just hope he can get his taste buds workin soon!  Thanks for your input!  He has had a consutation with doctor and swallowing evaluation, but they say taste just comes back in time.  

  • CherieLW
    CherieLW Member Posts: 472
    Duggie88 said:

    Hi Cherie

    Haven't seen you in a while. As I stated previously your Dad is lucky to have such a loving daughter.

    I see Pat's point and maybe ypour Dad may want to try that road. I can tell you that before cancer I liked sausage. A few weeks into radiation I hated it along with many other foods including coffee which tore me up because I always loved coffee. My taste for coffee came back about four months after radiation and now just after 4and a half years of ending radiation I like sausage again. We are all different in aquiring back what we once had, so my adivise would be he should just keep experimenting as I jump onto Matt's boat now.

    Enjoy the day

          Jeff

    Thanks everyone for your

    Thanks everyone for your input!  Its been a year and 3 months since dad ended treatment.  I guess I"m just impatient.  I want to see things get look up sooner!  Err.... 

     

  • CherieLW
    CherieLW Member Posts: 472
    donfoo said:

    easiest way

    Take him to a buffet or two and try dozens of foods. Fastest and easiest way to see what flavors and textures might work. Good luck.

    Good idea Don!  I didn't

    Good idea Don!  I didn't think of that as dad hasn't enjoyed getting out much.  One of his favorites is Golden Coral (and my least favorite lol), but maybe I can talk him into trying it!  Thanks for the input!  I appreciate all of you!

  • Roar
    Roar Member Posts: 269 Member
    CherieLW said:

    I shoudl have been more

    I shoudl have been more specific.  He just says that he can't taste much so he doesn't have an apetite.  I just hope he can get his taste buds workin soon!  Thanks for your input!  He has had a consutation with doctor and swallowing evaluation, but they say taste just comes back in time.  

    Almost two years

    In December I will celebrate my 2nd anniversary after treatment. I will make it short- I agree with Matt- my taste still is not what it was. a lot of people here call it the new normal. I don't torment myself because I still don't taste sweet stuff,can't tolerate spicy, constantly spitting up phlem after I do eat. What I have learned is that cheaper cuts of meat done rare with sauce of choice and or fried onions make meat go done more easily for me. Anything dry or well done is still out of the question. I am sure your dad is tired of soup but it's good for you and it goes done easy. I am a big fan of the nutra bullet- I have a variety of berries, kale , banana with a scoop of whey protein-every morning( keeps me until lunch)  sometimes add yogurt or coconut milk- I would say my taste is at about 75% of what it use to be. My friend had the same treatment and has all of his taste- it's different for everyone. Mashed potatoes with lots of brown gravy. Double dipped French toast nice and soggy with butter and a little syrup - roasted peppers on any kind of sandwhich - hope this helps - good luck and stay strong

  • Kritter
    Kritter Member Posts: 147
    Your Dad's diagnosis ?

    Hi.. I hope all gets better for your Dad..and all affected by this, can you tell me more about his diagnosis?  I was diagnosed with cancer of the sinus in July of this year. I haven't found anyone with the same type I have, but I read on your profile where you said he had cancer of the sinus as well.  

    Prayers and Hugs ! 

    Kritter

  • CherieLW
    CherieLW Member Posts: 472
    Roar said:

    Almost two years

    In December I will celebrate my 2nd anniversary after treatment. I will make it short- I agree with Matt- my taste still is not what it was. a lot of people here call it the new normal. I don't torment myself because I still don't taste sweet stuff,can't tolerate spicy, constantly spitting up phlem after I do eat. What I have learned is that cheaper cuts of meat done rare with sauce of choice and or fried onions make meat go done more easily for me. Anything dry or well done is still out of the question. I am sure your dad is tired of soup but it's good for you and it goes done easy. I am a big fan of the nutra bullet- I have a variety of berries, kale , banana with a scoop of whey protein-every morning( keeps me until lunch)  sometimes add yogurt or coconut milk- I would say my taste is at about 75% of what it use to be. My friend had the same treatment and has all of his taste- it's different for everyone. Mashed potatoes with lots of brown gravy. Double dipped French toast nice and soggy with butter and a little syrup - roasted peppers on any kind of sandwhich - hope this helps - good luck and stay strong

    Thanks Roar!  Sounds like the

    Thanks Roar!  Sounds like the things you tolerate is simliar to what dad can taste.  He has problems with spicy and dry foods.  Most sweet things he does not do well, but an occasional donut he gets down.  I've tried to get him to try smoothies, but he just is not interested after a taste.  He does do milkshakes though.  He usually does half chocolate, half white and adds milk or dr. pepper (sometimes both).   Hey, I guess whatever works! Thanks for the encouragement!

  • CherieLW
    CherieLW Member Posts: 472

    Cherie, praying a solution

    Cherie, praying a solution can be found to your dad's eating problem.  I know its hard on everyone.  keeping you and your family in my prayers.  let us know if it gets better with time.

    God bless you,

    dj

    As always, thanks Debbie :)

    As always, thanks Debbie :)

  • CherieLW
    CherieLW Member Posts: 472
    Kritter said:

    Your Dad's diagnosis ?

    Hi.. I hope all gets better for your Dad..and all affected by this, can you tell me more about his diagnosis?  I was diagnosed with cancer of the sinus in July of this year. I haven't found anyone with the same type I have, but I read on your profile where you said he had cancer of the sinus as well.  

    Prayers and Hugs ! 

    Kritter

    Thanks Kritter!  
    Dad  was

    Thanks Kritter!  

    Dad  was diagnosed last March with cancer of the sinus cavity and a few lymph nodes affected as well.  Dr's believe he got it from working years (and retiring) from a glass factory as a machine repairman.  So sorry you have to go through this also... :( I'll be keeping you in my prayers as I know it's not easy, but is doable!  It was rough, but it was caught fairly early.  After treatment he had to get a g-tube because he was not eating due to tastebuds zapped from radiation.  He had the peg thank God for about a year.  I was so worried about this, but now I know it was a life saver and not nearly as scary as I thought.  Even removal of the peg tube was simple and painless.  He was able to get nutrtion he wouldn't have got otherwise.  In July of this year he got the peg tube removed and has been increasing his food intake slowly.  My dad has always been an on the go man, and surprisingly cancer didn't stop him much.  He stayed pretty busy the entire time and up until now, with the exception of going to bed a little earlier.  So glad to say that he has been cancer free since!  I'd say for a 66 year old man he's tough!!  

    Anyway, I'll be checking your profile to read up more on your situation.  I know one thing, keeping positive and having a lot of support really made the difference!  I hope you have a good support group!  If not, we are always here for you and you can message me anytime!  Keep your head up. I know 3 months in dad dealt with some depression and felt miserable, but it does look up.  I know a year and 3 months out, he has a new outlook on life!  The taste thing must just come back for everyone differently.  I hope if you are dealing with it you hang in there!  Always praying for you! 

    Cherie :)

  • CherieLW
    CherieLW Member Posts: 472
    Kritter said:

    Your Dad's diagnosis ?

    Hi.. I hope all gets better for your Dad..and all affected by this, can you tell me more about his diagnosis?  I was diagnosed with cancer of the sinus in July of this year. I haven't found anyone with the same type I have, but I read on your profile where you said he had cancer of the sinus as well.  

    Prayers and Hugs ! 

    Kritter

    And do me a favor, even when

    And do me a favor, even when you think somethings impossible (like eating), push yourself to move forward!! You'll get there!

  • Godskeep
    Godskeep Member Posts: 6
    Taste of food.

    Don's suggestion is a sound one. You have to remember that our enjoyment of certain foods is a combination of many facters concerning our sense of smell,sight,textures and yes even memories.

    I've been in remission for over five plus years and It has taken me this long for some foods to not taste like metel or to gain some flavor back.It's a process different to every one.I'm sorry that he's going through this.It's hard to find your "normal "again after cancer treatments.I'm still on oxycotin 30's twice a day for pain so believe me It could be worse.

    Consultations with nutrionist would be wise even If you've already done so.As I said It's a process and not all doctors or specialist have all the anwsers so shop around. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.just know that others are praying for every one suffering from this illness and our care takers.I offer my prayers daily for every one.

     

  • Rgorr
    Rgorr Member Posts: 1
    CherieLW said:

    And do me a favor, even when

    And do me a favor, even when you think somethings impossible (like eating), push yourself to move forward!! You'll get there!

    Taste

    Hi Cherie I have been a year and a half post treatment and still cannot taste most foods. I lost most of my smell as well which affects the taste. I cannot eat chocolate, bacon or tomatoes which I loved. It is still hard to find something I like but I eat a lot of chicken because of the texture. My family are frustrated trying to find something for me as well tell him to keep trying

  • debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Rgorr said:

    Taste

    Hi Cherie I have been a year and a half post treatment and still cannot taste most foods. I lost most of my smell as well which affects the taste. I cannot eat chocolate, bacon or tomatoes which I loved. It is still hard to find something I like but I eat a lot of chicken because of the texture. My family are frustrated trying to find something for me as well tell him to keep trying

    Rgorr, i'm now 2 yrs and 7

    Rgorr, i'm now 2 yrs and 7 months out of tx and I can just now eat chocolate.  until now it had a bad taste but last week I ate my first candy kiss and it was delicious.  don't ever give up trying new foods, it may taste bad today but next week may taste like heaven.  keep trying and trying.

    God bless you,

    dj

  • TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    CherieLW said:

    I shoudl have been more

    I shoudl have been more specific.  He just says that he can't taste much so he doesn't have an apetite.  I just hope he can get his taste buds workin soon!  Thanks for your input!  He has had a consutation with doctor and swallowing evaluation, but they say taste just comes back in time.  

    I found that

    the things I onced LOVED...I didn't care for as much anymore.  They tasted "off" to me.  I ended up going to a buffet where I could try small amounts of everything and learned that I now love bbq and broccoli!  Weird!  I hope he gets his taste back soon, but have him to keep trying.  It can be very discouraging when you try something that you've always liked just to learn you now don't care for it.  Step out of the box and try new things.  I was shocked at what I now like.  Hugs and prayer for you and him, my friend!!