Doing the Work of God

Options

Sounds somewhat blasphemous to say it, but I really feel that the people on this site are doing the work of God.

I was going through a file in one of my desk drawers that had the label "Ministry of Jokes" and came across an old one about a man's faith.

Seems this individual lived in an area that had a big storm approaching and flooding was forecast.  The warnings go out for voluntary evacuations and this man refuses, saying that he has faith that God will save him.  The joke goes on through mandatory evacuations, then the police going door to door, then the fire department, a man in a boat and finally a helicopter all of which this man refuses reiterating that God would save him

Well the waters rise, he's swept away and drowns.  When he meets God at the pearly gates he expresses his disappointment "Lord, I had such faith that you would save me, why am I here"?  To which God replies "I sent you warnings, I sent you the police department, the fire department a boat and helicopter, what more did you expect"?

I see a strong parallel in how this group works, welcoming anyone who has cancer, has a loved one with cancer, is a caregiver or just thinks they may have cancer.  We reach out with words of comfort, camaraderie, we share experiences, cheer mile posts and accomplishments, offer advice and insights on what to expect, what to do and how to deal with so many aspects of our disease and our lives while we fight and after we recover and even when we lose someone, we grieve for them and their families.

I cannot help but think that God acts through each of us to help those in need.  I know that when I first posted to this site, I was welcomed without any conditions, advice was freely given when asked, encouragement was there when I was down and celebration when I received good news from my doctors

I'm now two years past my NED celebration, adapting to my new normal, enjoying life and living every second of it to its fullest.

God Bless everyone on this board!

Peter

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    nice post

Peter,

When life gave us lemons, we may as well make lemonade.

Matt

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    thank you Peter

for your thoughtful post.

best to you

Pat

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Thank you Peter.....

I enjoyed reading this and have always enjoyed it since I first heard it. 

Congrats on the two years past NED. Keep strong, and may all your tomorrows be better then today.

Bill

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Right on Peter!!!

You and I came in here just about the same time.....and like you said above.....I too was pulled in, and tucked under wings when I got here.  I will forever be grateful for the people here. 

I got my first taste of God working through others when I went to Alcoholics Anonymous......they saved my life.  The folks here saved my sanity (and still do)....and they took me by the hand and led me through a time that I wasn't so sure I had the guts to get through.

I love you all!!

p

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    G’day Peter

Very true, when we are faced with a mountain of problems and know not what to do, we are told to just have faith. It may not be easy at first but each time we put our problems into the hands of God Faith becomes stronger and stronger.

This is a story I like a lot because we all sometimes feel this same way. A man was sleeping at night in his cabin when suddenly his room filled with light, and God appeared. The Lord told the man he had work for him to do, and showed him a large rock in front of his cabin. The Lord explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his might.

So, this the man did, day after day. For many years he toiled from sun up to sun down; his shoulders set squarely against the cold, massive surface of the unmoving rock, pushing with all of his might. Each night the man returned to his cabin sore and worn out, feeling that his whole day had been spent in vain.

Since the man was showing discouragement, the Adversary (Satan) decided to enter the picture by placing thoughts into the weary mind: "you have been pushing against that rock for a long time, and it hasn't moved." Thus, giving the man the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a failure. These thoughts discouraged and disheartened the man.

Satan said, "Why kill yourself over this?" "Just put in your time, giving just the minimum effort; and that will be good enough." That's what he planned to do, but decided to make it a matter of prayer and take his troubled thoughts to the Lord.

"Lord," he said, "I have labored long and hard in your service, putting all my strength to do that which you have asked. Yet, after all this time, I have not even budged that rock by half a millimeter. What is wrong? Why am I failing?"

The Lord responded compassionately, "My friend, when I asked you to serve Me and you accepted, I told you that your task was to push against the rock with all of your strength, which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected you to move it. Your task was to push.

And now you come to Me with your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. But, is that really so? Look at yourself. Your arms are strong and muscled, your back sinewy and brown, your hands are callused from constant pressure, your legs have become massive and hard. Through opposition you have grown much, and your abilities now surpass that which you used to have.Yet you haven't moved the rock. But your calling was to be obedient and to push and to exercise your faith and trust in My wisdom. This you have done. Now I, my friend, will move the rock."

Tim Hondo

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you

Hi Peter,

Thank you for checking in and letting us know you are doing well. It is always nice to hear back and be reassured most are doing great and too busy carrying on with their lives to stop in. Thanks again.

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Hondo said:

G’day Peter

Very true, when we are faced with a mountain of problems and know not what to do, we are told to just have faith. It may not be easy at first but each time we put our problems into the hands of God Faith becomes stronger and stronger.

This is a story I like a lot because we all sometimes feel this same way. A man was sleeping at night in his cabin when suddenly his room filled with light, and God appeared. The Lord told the man he had work for him to do, and showed him a large rock in front of his cabin. The Lord explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his might.

So, this the man did, day after day. For many years he toiled from sun up to sun down; his shoulders set squarely against the cold, massive surface of the unmoving rock, pushing with all of his might. Each night the man returned to his cabin sore and worn out, feeling that his whole day had been spent in vain.

Since the man was showing discouragement, the Adversary (Satan) decided to enter the picture by placing thoughts into the weary mind: "you have been pushing against that rock for a long time, and it hasn't moved." Thus, giving the man the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a failure. These thoughts discouraged and disheartened the man.

Satan said, "Why kill yourself over this?" "Just put in your time, giving just the minimum effort; and that will be good enough." That's what he planned to do, but decided to make it a matter of prayer and take his troubled thoughts to the Lord.

"Lord," he said, "I have labored long and hard in your service, putting all my strength to do that which you have asked. Yet, after all this time, I have not even budged that rock by half a millimeter. What is wrong? Why am I failing?"

The Lord responded compassionately, "My friend, when I asked you to serve Me and you accepted, I told you that your task was to push against the rock with all of your strength, which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected you to move it. Your task was to push.

And now you come to Me with your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. But, is that really so? Look at yourself. Your arms are strong and muscled, your back sinewy and brown, your hands are callused from constant pressure, your legs have become massive and hard. Through opposition you have grown much, and your abilities now surpass that which you used to have.Yet you haven't moved the rock. But your calling was to be obedient and to push and to exercise your faith and trust in My wisdom. This you have done. Now I, my friend, will move the rock."

Tim Hondo

Thank you too Tim.........

My Mother tought me to pray in the same way. To pray for the strength to handle the problem, not to fix it or make it go away. So when I found out that I had SCC just above my larnyx and just before surgery it had gone up to T4; N2; M0. Oh I prayed. I was pretty sure I would lose my larnyx and maybe more, so I prayed. I prayed for the strength to handle what ever came. At this time there were about 5 people [myself included] who thought I would even live through it. My prayers were answered many times over. Yes, I lost my larnyx, but I can still talk, the BOT was clean, it had not spread, I did have neck dissection on both sides [86glands] to just be safe. I did not need Chemo or RADs, and it ended up being T3;N0;Mo, and best of all, I'm still alive. Yes my prayers were answered and I was given the strength to handle it.

Bill

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Pater and Tim, I love both

Pater and Tim, I love both your posts and the messages they give.  Thank you both for sharing.

God bless,

dj