Dental Implants

traceyd1
traceyd1 Member Posts: 79 Member

Just wanted to share happy news!  My husband is on his way as I type this to have his new teeth put into place on his dental implant posts.  He is beyond excited.  He was diagnosed in December 2012, so this has been a long time coming.  I feel like we have rounded a corner against this hideous disease.  I pray for you all daily in your struggles.

Tracey

Comments

  • donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Congratulations

    That is quite a milestone! It is rare for SCC suvivors to be able to be fortunate to get implants post tx. Think of us while chewing on a fat juicy steak Foot in Mouth

  • thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    Sounds great.I heard from my

    Sounds great.I heard from my surgen that it will not only improve chewing and swallowing but speaking also..We are going to look into in Dec .He said it takes awhile for the jaw bone to harden after surgery and radiation...Good Luck to him on his new choppers..

  • debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    congrats to your hubby.  that

    congrats to your hubby.  that is quite a big deal.  definitely a reason to celebrate, maybe you should make him a special dinner so he can try out his new teeth, maybe a big, thick steak....

    God bless you both,

    dj

  • traceyd1
    traceyd1 Member Posts: 79 Member
    He looks great and feels

    He looks great and feels great!  He had a sarcoma, not a SCC, so the fibula that they replaced his jaw with has never been radiated.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have been a candidate at all.  He has eaten a hamburger, sandwich, and doughnuts.  All things he could eat before, but not easily!  He still has saliva and swallowing issues, particularly with red meat and white meat chicken, so steak is out, but he's been so long without those things, he's definitely not complaining.  He came by my office after he got them and all I could do was cry.  This has been one of the things that bothered him most, and I was overwhelmed with joy for him.  If felt like we had really come full circle. 

  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Almost all can be candidates

    A few years ago I was at a presentation by a retired ENT doctor who had started a Midwestern Hyperbaric business. He stated without reservation that head and neck cancer patients undergoing hyperbaric treatments actually had better outcomes with implants than non radiated patients.  So if anyone is thinking they would not be a good candidtae it seems that with some HBO treatment it is still possible.  

  • donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    ratface said:

    Almost all can be candidates

    A few years ago I was at a presentation by a retired ENT doctor who had started a Midwestern Hyperbaric business. He stated without reservation that head and neck cancer patients undergoing hyperbaric treatments actually had better outcomes with implants than non radiated patients.  So if anyone is thinking they would not be a good candidtae it seems that with some HBO treatment it is still possible.  

    well...

    Naturally, one needs to balance such statements from a biased source. Not saying it is not a true statement but ... Innocent

    Has anyone had insurance cover HBO for implants? Humm... has anyone had insurance cover implants?

    I wonder how much out of pocket it would cost to self-pay for HBO and say several implants.

  • traceyd1
    traceyd1 Member Posts: 79 Member
    We did not have to have HBO

    We did not have to have HBO because his tissues hadn't been radiated.  We were fortunate that we were able to get his implants covered by our insurance.  (Anthem BXBS).  My husband works for a self-insured company, and he was able to get in touch with someone in his Human Resources office that has really advocated for him.  They have instructed the insurance company to pay all of his claims related to the diagnosis, even dental implants.  It took a lot of calling to finally reach someone that could help us, but once we did, we were set.

  • thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    traceyd1 said:

    We did not have to have HBO

    We did not have to have HBO because his tissues hadn't been radiated.  We were fortunate that we were able to get his implants covered by our insurance.  (Anthem BXBS).  My husband works for a self-insured company, and he was able to get in touch with someone in his Human Resources office that has really advocated for him.  They have instructed the insurance company to pay all of his claims related to the diagnosis, even dental implants.  It took a lot of calling to finally reach someone that could help us, but once we did, we were set.

    As far as I know I won't be

    As far as I know I won't be getting inplants but dentures made for the way my mouth is now.He said he have the denist also make the plate along roof of mouth thicker to help my tounge during swollowing and speaking.But waiting for everything to heal and jaw get harder and stronger after everything that has happened..

  • TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    GREAT NEWS!

    My jaw is now a titanium plate so I wasn't a candidate for implants.  I have a partial that I have to remove while eating.  I hope he enjoys EVERY BITE!!  That is a huge milestone and I'm so hapy for y'all!

  • thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    donfoo said:

    well...

    Naturally, one needs to balance such statements from a biased source. Not saying it is not a true statement but ... Innocent

    Has anyone had insurance cover HBO for implants? Humm... has anyone had insurance cover implants?

    I wonder how much out of pocket it would cost to self-pay for HBO and say several implants.

    I'm gpong to check but I

    I'm gpong to check but I heard as in my case they were taken out during the operation so the insureance will cover implants or dentures