Should I get tubes for my clogged ear

I am going for an operation this monday to remove a flash growth under my tongue. About 4 days ago my right ear also got clogged after 6 moths of post NPC treatment and its getting worst. I almost can't hear on that ear and its relly make me nuts. Since I will be under General Anesthesia, would it be wise to also get a tube to uncloge my ear? And, hope you guys could share your experience with this tube? Did it really helped with the clogged ears? Do you think my ENT doc will agree?

I am just out of ideas to uncloge my ear. Please help.

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    taking care of 2 problems at

taking care of 2 problems at once sounds good to me.  i would definitely discuss with the doc to see if that would fix the problem.  good luck.

dj

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Did the ENT look at your ear,

or test your hearing in that ear?  When my ear first did that, my ENT sent me for a hearing test.....if it had come back that the damage had caused hearing loss, he would have done a tube.  What is the doc saying?

p

• edbravo
    edbravo Member Posts: 63

Did the ENT look at your ear,

or test your hearing in that ear?  When my ear first did that, my ENT sent me for a hearing test.....if it had come back that the damage had caused hearing loss, he would have done a tube.  What is the doc saying?

p

My ENT doc did check my ears.

My ENT doc did check my ears. My outer ears are cleared and according to him, my ear is clogged because of my NPC treatment and advice me to exercise by chewing gum so that my eustachian tube will probably be better. Didn't asked him about having a tube at that point of time because I went blurred after he mentioned about another operations. Frown

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    edbravo said:

My ENT doc did check my ears.

My ENT doc did check my ears. My outer ears are cleared and according to him, my ear is clogged because of my NPC treatment and advice me to exercise by chewing gum so that my eustachian tube will probably be better. Didn't asked him about having a tube at that point of time because I went blurred after he mentioned about another operations. Frown

tubes

Try the gum first.  Tubes in adults can be done in the office and takes less than a minute.  It might sting for 10 seconds, but its not bad.  And this is coming from a wimp!

Lorna 2007 & 2014

• edbravo
    lornal said:

tubes

Try the gum first.  Tubes in adults can be done in the office and takes less than a minute.  It might sting for 10 seconds, but its not bad.  And this is coming from a wimp!

Lorna 2007 & 2014

Thanks for the advice lornal,

Thanks for the advice lornal, I will try the gum first and hopefully it works.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Tubes

They made my life a lot easer

Tim Hondo

• amr2662
    amr2662 Member Posts: 45 Member
    Love my tubes

I had NPC 16 years ago.  I had the first tubes put in about 8 months after treatment ended when the fluid build up behind the eardrum caused hearing problems.  I would have them go ahead and put the tube in while you are under anesthesia.  It is not bad to have it done in the office (15 sec of very sharp pain and its over) but if you will be under I would go ahead and have it done if the ENT is recommending it.  I have had my tubes fall out over the years and replaced in the office about 4-6 times per ear through the years.   I now have a different kind of tube that stays in longer. 

According to my ENT the radiation "welded" my eustachian tubes shut so venting to the outside of the eardrum throught the tube is the only way for me to hear well and prevent the pressure/pain from fluid building up.   

As long as I keep water out of my ears I don't have any issues with the tubes.  But when you go to the mountains with tubes you don't have the fullness/popping sensation (which is a good thing).  But don't go to the mountains or fly on a plane if you are having problems with your eustachina tubes without have ventilation tubes put in.  I flew and had the worst ear pain ever because of the pressure change.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• edbravo
    amr2662 said:

Love my tubes

I had NPC 16 years ago.  I had the first tubes put in about 8 months after treatment ended when the fluid build up behind the eardrum caused hearing problems.  I would have them go ahead and put the tube in while you are under anesthesia.  It is not bad to have it done in the office (15 sec of very sharp pain and its over) but if you will be under I would go ahead and have it done if the ENT is recommending it.  I have had my tubes fall out over the years and replaced in the office about 4-6 times per ear through the years.   I now have a different kind of tube that stays in longer. 

According to my ENT the radiation "welded" my eustachian tubes shut so venting to the outside of the eardrum throught the tube is the only way for me to hear well and prevent the pressure/pain from fluid building up.   

As long as I keep water out of my ears I don't have any issues with the tubes.  But when you go to the mountains with tubes you don't have the fullness/popping sensation (which is a good thing).  But don't go to the mountains or fly on a plane if you are having problems with your eustachina tubes without have ventilation tubes put in.  I flew and had the worst ear pain ever because of the pressure change.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi amr, that was a solid

Hi amr, that was a solid advice and i appreciate it alot. I will consult with my doctor tomorrow and hopefully he would agree. However, did your ear immediately got unclogged after inserting the tube and was there any pain after surgery?

• edbravo
    edbravo said:

Hi amr, that was a solid

Hi amr, that was a solid advice and i appreciate it alot. I will consult with my doctor tomorrow and hopefully he would agree. However, did your ear immediately got unclogged after inserting the tube and was there any pain after surgery?

Had a word with my ent doc

Had a word with my ent doc today and he adviced to wait and not to put in the tubes. According to him its too early right after my post radiation treatment, furthermore there is no infections yet, it also could be the muscles which needs some exercise. Can anyone recommend a proper exercise?

• amr2662
    amr2662 Member Posts: 45 Member
    edbravo said:

Hi amr, that was a solid

After having the tube put in

After having the tube put in I could hear better immediately. My ENT actually suctioned out fluid when he cuts the hole for the tube.  Sounds awful and not the most pleasant of procedure but it immediately improves my hearing.  10 minutes after the procedure I am driving myself home.  No pain afterwards.  Noises seem very loud for awhile afterward until I get used to being able to hear again.

I see that your doctor wants to put offf putting a tube in.  I do know that having tubes put in can result in a permananent hole in the eardrum sometimes or scarring of the eardrum so if the doc thinks something else might work it is best to try that first.

I hope you can get relief.

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Deaf

I'm also deaf in one ear can hardly hear a sound. I had pressure checks when I had a hearing test and they said rad damage and fluid in the inner ear. There was talk of putting in a grommet...whatever ....that is, but I'd had enough of ops and being messed about with. I said I could live with it. It comes in handy when my partner snores I just turn over and muffle my good ear in the pillow. Same if he talks through a TV programme he sits on my deaf side and the TV is on my right side. My good ear picks up sounds well ha ha. There's always an up side to a down side. I don't get pain from it.