whether to have a double or single mastectomy

Two week ago I was diagnosed with stage one ductal carcinoma.  onc says its slow growing and HER neg.  so no chemo is needed most likely.  At first I was like ok lets have the dble mastectomy and lets get in done now.  Now I've reconsidered.  I heard you have no feeling in the breasts afterwards (luckily I will probably be able to save my nipple). and I also heard that cannibis oil can kill the cancer.  My onc is worried that I'm not going to hae the surgery at all.  Which I wish I didn't have to.  If I could find somehthing to kill the cancer along with diet and hormone blocking pills I would. 

I don't want to lose my breasts and even if I had to lose one, would I be happy bc they will look different.  I just don't know what to do!!!

S.

Comments

• Leslienva
    Leslienva Member Posts: 5
    What about a lumpectomy

Did your doctor mention a lumpectomy? That plus radiation is statistically as effective on early stage cancer as a mastectomy.

• shelton_fitness1
    shelton_fitness1 Member Posts: 3
    after reading many stories on

after reading many stories on here.  I feel like I'm crazy for waiting to have the surgery.  I had it all scheduled for this week, but after talking with other people (one breast cancer survivor) they got me thinking I was being drastic for going all in for the dble mastaectomy with reconstruction. 

• shelton_fitness1
    shelton_fitness1 Member Posts: 3
    Leslienva said:

What about a lumpectomy

Did your doctor mention a lumpectomy? That plus radiation is statistically as effective on early stage cancer as a mastectomy.

she said if I have a

she said if I have a lumpectomy, my breast would be basically deformed becasue I have 5-6 lumps (1 cm ea). 

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    ONCOTYPE DX

Shelton, your ONC sounds as if he is not sure of his self  saying no chemo is needed most likely. No chemo most likely is not an answer. Especially when it is about cancer and your well being. Sounds as if you are a candiate for the Oncotype DX. This test will show whether or not you will need chemo. Please have this test done. It is a very good test. Suggest this to your ONC.  ((( PRAYERS)))   Pixie

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    I had single

I had a single mastectomy. I wanted to keep the good side as you are right that you lose feeling. The downside is that I have to have mammograms every 6 mo. Good luck with whatever you decide (I think you are going to have to have surgery at least) Radiation is also very helpful and doesn't leave scars. Your health is more important than your looks. Let us know what you decide...Hugs, Anna