What are your symptoms?

Getting an ultrasound endoscopy next week to see what the 2.1 cm mass is that was found on CT scan.  Was told probably benign Leiomyoma ( it doesn't appear on regular endoscopy.  ) but I'm getting more symptoms so very concerned, to say the least.  

Prayers and positive healing thoughts being sent to this board right now.  

Lisa 

Comments

• Spalder
    Spalder Member Posts: 1
    Esophageal Cancer

Get second opinions, read all you can, ask lots of questions to the doctors and surgeons.  My husband had troath cancer stage 4 about four years ago. He received 36 radiation treatments reinforced with weekly chemo.  He has been on remission for that, however, after a colonoscopy about five months ago the physician asked him because of his throat cancer whether he had had an uper GI exam, therefore he recomended one.  It is when he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer, advanced (camcerous tumors in lower esophagus, cancer advanced through esophagus to the muscle surrounding and limph nodes)

One surgeon was going to perform a surgery, cutting up the lower part of esophagus and top of stomach.  He went for a second opinion to the local University hospital and they told him his best option was to have the Ivor-Lewis Esophagectomy with gastric pull up.  He had the surgery on Sept. 15, 2014 and we we are still in the hospital.  They say that because of the radiation for throat cancer his organs tissues were very fragile and brittle. Right lung got perforated, he has had a bacterial infection in lunch for the last four days, and now they say his "esopahgus" is leaking and he is going back to surgery today for surgeon to patch that. He could not have anything to drink, not even water, from the night before the surgery until 11 days after the surgery; and he has been in the same conditions for four days now.  He had 3 chest tubes draining fluids after the surgery, after ten days they removed 2 of them, then they did a pluorodesis to try to seal his leaking lung, unsuccdsfully. 

My husband is very discouraged, dissapointed he had the surgery. We see no happy ending in the near future.  He was in relatively good shape before the surgery, and he is a very strong man, otherwise I don't think he would be around anymore. 

Hopefully you do not have the complications he has had.  But inform yourself of exactly what surgeons plan on doing and what you should expect during surgery, post-operation, and beyond.  It is your body, and it is your life. Good luck.