Still no appetite after 8 weeks, getting worried

Options
Robyn64
Robyn64 Member Posts: 124
edited October 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I'm getting a bit worried about having no appetite still after 8 weeks since treatment. I am missing food so much though. But it doesn't matter what the food is, my appetite wont stir.

I am eating extremely tiny amounts of food, maybe 2 or 3 mouthfuls and I do bottles through my peg, but I need to eat more, losing weight rapidly.

I do not feel it happening soon, my stomach just has a feeling of being full, probably because it has shrunk.  So it's almost like I'm force feeding myself, I am getting very worried about this. Force feeding makes me feel like I may throw up, still gagging because of swollen epiglottis which doesn't help. Even my old favourite foods doesn't do anything to bring on an appetite.

When did you get your appetite back ?

thanks,

Robyn

Comments

• ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Options
    Apetite

Hey Robyn, I had my thoart cancer in March of 2012 and finished treatment in Aug 2012, No Peg, so my response may not meet your circumstances, but I will respond.  My apetite seem to coexist with my ability to taste, if I remember correctly sometime in mid to late september 2012 was the first time I felt like try to eat real food again and as the taste buds slowly came back so did my apetite.  But 2 years later although I have been blessed to resume eating most things that I find enjoyable I do not eat nearly as mutch as before I had cancer.  Usually one meal a day and small to average size portions.  Not sure this helps you at all but I can only say what others will, give it time it can take months to start to feel normal or as others say the new normal maybe longer, but it will come most likely.  So take it one day at a time (I know that gets old) but it is true.  You will get post from folks with pegs that can offer perhaps more insight based on going thru the same thing.  Good Luck

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Apetite

Hey Robyn, I had my thoart cancer in March of 2012 and finished treatment in Aug 2012, No Peg, so my response may not meet your circumstances, but I will respond.  My apetite seem to coexist with my ability to taste, if I remember correctly sometime in mid to late september 2012 was the first time I felt like try to eat real food again and as the taste buds slowly came back so did my apetite.  But 2 years later although I have been blessed to resume eating most things that I find enjoyable I do not eat nearly as mutch as before I had cancer.  Usually one meal a day and small to average size portions.  Not sure this helps you at all but I can only say what others will, give it time it can take months to start to feel normal or as others say the new normal maybe longer, but it will come most likely.  So take it one day at a time (I know that gets old) but it is true.  You will get post from folks with pegs that can offer perhaps more insight based on going thru the same thing.  Good Luck

Food

Robyn, treat it like a job until you regain taste. Just get enough calories in and keep swallow going. Gary

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Robyn, I had total

Robyn, I had total laryngectomy and neck dissection 2/28/12.  It took me a year to start eating again and then I only ate so people would leave me alone.  I had no appatite and did not want to eat.  i ate once a day and that was a helping of mashed potatoes or a can of chix noodle soup.  it was never much.  i finally started eating again in May of 2013.  By July I was eating more and now I eat everything.  I originally lost 120 lbs but have since gained 40 back.  Praying I don't gain any more.  I did have a feeding a tube that I used also.  I pray your hunger comes back before mine did and you start to enjoy food soon.  Good luck.

God bless you,

dj