Suggestions for Dealing with Leg/Foot Cramps

desertgirl947
desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member

Probably it has been asked here before, but what do you who have increased leg/foot cramps do or take to alleviate the problem?  I have heard magnesium -- if so, does anyone know a dosage?  I have also heard tonic water.

I have a feeling it is related to my taking tamoxifen.  Been on that for two years now, and I think that some of the effects are now catching up to me.  They are manageable, but . . . .   

I sometimes get the foot cramps while I am at work (school).  I get foot cramps and leg cramps anytime during the evening and into the night.  Not sure what triggers it when I am still up, relaxing in my chair.  As for during the night, it seems to happen when I move from sleeping on my side to lying for awhile on my back.  This does not happed every day, but it is now occurring a few times a week.

I welcome advice.

Thanks.

(I have just gotten one in the arch of my foot, as I sit here and write this .....  Surprised )

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I have lower leg cramps.

I have lower leg cramps. Since 1/2 way through Taxol, keeping my K (potassium) levels up to,close,to 'normal' levels.  I have to take mega K daily but sometimes it isn't enough.  When I get leg/foot cramps at night, I take another K and it rapidly is resolved.  I do have to say that it can do a lot more to take K if you are not low in it.  My issues with low K are well documented and I have my PA's approval to handle it as I do.  Low Magnesium can also cause issues or imbalances between them.  Zinc also plays a part.  Blood work is where to start getting levels and the ratios between them which is important.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    When I was on tamoxifen for 5

When I was on tamoxifen for 5 yrs I had wicked legs cramps at night..for years I told each dr and never had any solutions (didn' think from the tamoxifen) I started taking magnesium and it helped-so much.

I have been off the tamoxifen for about 14 mths and now ON occassion I get a leg cramp and not near as bad as they used to be.

Denise

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Sorry for pain

desertgirl, I have never had this problem but I do know people reacts different with chemo and radition SE and also hormonal drugs. My suggestion to you is tell your ONC your problem before taking anything. If no help there then I would go to your PC doctor. I think having some labwork done might show your problem. They can even do a panel of list of vitamins that may you may need. Good luck in getting your pain under control. Hugs, Pixie

• desertgirl947
    Thanks, ladies

Thanks, ladies

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member

Thanks, ladies

Thanks, ladies

Know this is...

Know this is too simplistic.....but are you vigilant in your water intake?   Sometimes we just forget we need LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER..........  Hope you find the answer and get this fixed so it will go away...

Hugs and Prayers

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    GlowMore said:

Know this is...

Know this is too simplistic.....but are you vigilant in your water intake?   Sometimes we just forget we need LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER..........  Hope you find the answer and get this fixed so it will go away...

Hugs and Prayers

Water is important -

Water is definately important to stay hydrated but it can also be a bit of a problem for some due to some kidney issues.  Can also be issues when rapidly increasing fluid intake as mins/vits can be 'flushed' out before absorbed.  I am definately a 'waterholic' -  have always been but it could be detrimental for someone to go immediately from limited water/fluid intake to my normal level of intake.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

• desertgirl947
    Thanks.  I work at that water

Thanks.  I work at that water intake -- have a large water bottle at school.  That was one of the first things I thought of.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Thanks.  I work at that water

Thanks.  I work at that water intake -- have a large water bottle at school.  That was one of the first things I thought of.

... If I am not mistaken -- this tip came for Chenheart

back in 2009, 2010 and so on --  place a bar of unwrapped soap -- ivory, comes to mind between your mattress pad,  and fitted bed sheet...  

This is no joke -- it has worked, and helped many women.  Why does it work???,  Chemo brain - can't recall .. but it does work for many.

Hoping you find relief...

Vicki Sam

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Exercise

Exercise helped my cramps. Just walking 1/2 hr a day can help. Doing some stretches before bed helps even more!

• GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 134
    button2 said:

Exercise

Exercise helped my cramps. Just walking 1/2 hr a day can help. Doing some stretches before bed helps even more!

Soap for cramps

I also followed Chen's advice and always keep a bar of soap in my bed, ( sure do miss her and think of her each time I make the bed ).  It does seem to help.

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    GMcD said:

Soap for cramps

I also followed Chen's advice and always keep a bar of soap in my bed, ( sure do miss her and think of her each time I make the bed ).  It does seem to help.

Chen and her bar of soap

I told Chen then, and wish I could tell her now...I think keeping a bar of soap under your sheet for leg cramps is utter nonsense.  But...it sure isn't going to hurt you, and my partner tried Chen's advice years ago, and she SWEARS that it helps.  

I too, think of Chen every time I change the sheets and see those bars of soap on my partner's side of the bed, and it always makes me smile.  

Traci

• desertgirl947
    I have heard of the soap

I have heard of the soap thing for bed.  I also can get cramps when I am still up, relaxing in my recliner in the evening.