Update - Concerned

Options
2»

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options

All good!

Okay, so my chemo nurse called me today (sporting a bit of an attitude) and said that the preliminary findings were not correct, that their machine malfunctioned and I am doing fine.  I am elated on the one hand but also sort of aggravated that I had to spend a week wondering if I had cancer again!  I try to keep my relationship with my doctor's office on the light side so I told them that I thought they were in the business of extending people's lives and not taking years off of them (which is what all that worry did!).  I guess I need to just let it go and be HAPPY with those results.

Thanks to all my supportive friends here that offered words of sanity and solidarity (especially when it came to the rose wine)!  I believe I am entitled to nip (out of relief) again tonight and so I am buying a straw on my way home for easier nipping.

Clementine

PS, Traci, thank you for the laugh!

Great news

That's great news Clementine. I can't believe the nurse had an attitude after making a mistake like that! Anyway, all that matters is your health so congrats! - Anna

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

All good!

Okay, so my chemo nurse called me today (sporting a bit of an attitude) and said that the preliminary findings were not correct, that their machine malfunctioned and I am doing fine.  I am elated on the one hand but also sort of aggravated that I had to spend a week wondering if I had cancer again!  I try to keep my relationship with my doctor's office on the light side so I told them that I thought they were in the business of extending people's lives and not taking years off of them (which is what all that worry did!).  I guess I need to just let it go and be HAPPY with those results.

Thanks to all my supportive friends here that offered words of sanity and solidarity (especially when it came to the rose wine)!  I believe I am entitled to nip (out of relief) again tonight and so I am buying a straw on my way home for easier nipping.

Clementine

PS, Traci, thank you for the laugh!

Very happy for you, but stand up for yourself!

Clementine, I'm so happy that you're healthy, and that the scare turned out to be nothing.

BUT girl, you need to stand up for yourself and for other patients!  The next time you see your oncologist, you need to calmly but firmly let him know how difficult this situation was:

1. their machine malfunctioned -- I understand, technical glitches happen, BUT
    2. then you have to wait A WEEK to find out there was no problem in the first place, AND on top of it,
    3. the nurse who contacted you had an attitude, and didn't apologize for their mistake.

Clementine, I just think it's really important that doctors hear -- again, calmly  and respectfully -- how their patients feel when they drop the ball like this, how it affects our lives.  And it's important not just for you -- if this happened to you, then it happened to other patients, too, and what if none of them feels able to say anything about it?  

I just really think it's important we all remember that we are the ones paying our doctors and their staff for their services, these are our bodies and our lives, and  -- while of course we're all human, and mistakes happen -- we deserve to be treated respectfully and compassionately.

Traci

• Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You are right

So funny, Traci  - my father and husband said the exact same thing.  Even though I am a litigator, I shrink when it comes to doctors and would rather set myself on fire than get someone in trouble.  You guys speak rationally, though and I agree that I really need to say something (not accusatory - calmly, like you said).  I was truly stressed out for days and all they needed to do was call me and say that something happened and that my sample came back with incorrect readings.  I wouldn't have cared in the least that there was a broken machine or human error!  Just don't leave me hanging like that and then act like I am being a bother just because I had a couple of follow up questions!  In 6 months I'll make sure to have stiff drink before I go and have at it.

Last night, I chose food and beverage therapy and had rose wine and half a pint of ice cream.  It was heaven!

Clem

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

You are right

So funny, Traci  - my father and husband said the exact same thing.  Even though I am a litigator, I shrink when it comes to doctors and would rather set myself on fire than get someone in trouble.  You guys speak rationally, though and I agree that I really need to say something (not accusatory - calmly, like you said).  I was truly stressed out for days and all they needed to do was call me and say that something happened and that my sample came back with incorrect readings.  I wouldn't have cared in the least that there was a broken machine or human error!  Just don't leave me hanging like that and then act like I am being a bother just because I had a couple of follow up questions!  In 6 months I'll make sure to have stiff drink before I go and have at it.

Last night, I chose food and beverage therapy and had rose wine and half a pint of ice cream.  It was heaven!

Clem

I am in full support of Food & Beverage Therapy!

If you're used to litigating, then, when you see your doctor, just pretend you're advocating on behalf of a client, not for yourself.  

What would you say if you were in mediation, or speaking to a judge, or writing a letter on behalf of your client who had been treated this way?  You already know how to do this, Clementine -- you've got the skills, just apply them in a different setting.

Now...about that pint of ice cream...I have equally strong opinions about THAT, too!  It better have been Ben & Jerry's!

Laughing Traci

• Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

I am in full support of Food & Beverage Therapy!

If you're used to litigating, then, when you see your doctor, just pretend you're advocating on behalf of a client, not for yourself.  

What would you say if you were in mediation, or speaking to a judge, or writing a letter on behalf of your client who had been treated this way?  You already know how to do this, Clementine -- you've got the skills, just apply them in a different setting.

Now...about that pint of ice cream...I have equally strong opinions about THAT, too!  It better have been Ben & Jerry's!

Laughing Traci

Chubby Hubby

God, it was gooooood!

Innocent

• Josie21
    Josie21 Member Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Chubby Hubby

God, it was gooooood!

Innocent

Yeah!

Fantastic news!  I am so happy for you.