Freaking out

Options
tyjsbtn
tyjsbtn Member Posts: 50

Can anyone tell me if it is normal to freak out over a mamogram?  

Just a little background.  I was diagnosis with renal cell carcinoma on August 1st and had a radical nephrectomy on August 11th. I was symptom free when the cancer was found and I have had a great recovery and returned back to work just a few days ago.  I just had my mamogram on Friday and I am so worried that they are going to find something.  Both my mother and sister had breast cancer and I am completly freaking out.

Comments

• aamdsi
    aamdsi Member Posts: 284
    Options
    Oh how I wish

I could see into the future and tell you all will be great...but.  BUT I can say that worrying about it won't help.  I know, far easier said than done, but after what you've already gone through, you need to live EVERY day.  Worrying just eats all the good out of one's day.

I will look to the sky tonight and send a wish and prayer that the results come back early tomorrow an are such that you smile and let out Whoop of joy.

let us know!

Laurie

• tyjsbtn
    Options
    aamdsi said:

Oh how I wish

I could see into the future and tell you all will be great...but.  BUT I can say that worrying about it won't help.  I know, far easier said than done, but after what you've already gone through, you need to live EVERY day.  Worrying just eats all the good out of one's day.

I will look to the sky tonight and send a wish and prayer that the results come back early tomorrow an are such that you smile and let out Whoop of joy.

let us know!

Laurie

Thank you

I never worried about my mamograms before and my general outlook on life is that it is what it is and worrying is not going to change it.  I have found that I am just so much more emotional right now.

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    It is normal to freak out

It is normal to freak out after a cancer diagnosis.  I avoid going for tests ever since my mom got RCC in 2012.  It is crazy, but my nervs are always shot when she would go for her scans.  Now I get nervous and worried for each test myself or family takes, even urine tests! So, i would say it quite normal. Do i think they will find something on your mammo? NO!  Be sure to get a copy of your report.  Sending good vibes! Be well!

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    angec said:

It is normal to freak out

It is normal to freak out after a cancer diagnosis.  I avoid going for tests ever since my mom got RCC in 2012.  It is crazy, but my nervs are always shot when she would go for her scans.  Now I get nervous and worried for each test myself or family takes, even urine tests! So, i would say it quite normal. Do i think they will find something on your mammo? NO!  Be sure to get a copy of your report.  Sending good vibes! Be well!

It's definitely normal.

It's definitely normal. Cancer diagnosis changes everything and routine tests we never gave a second thought to become scary. Since my partial nephrectomy in March I've been putting off my mammogram for the same reason and fought my doc tooth and nail over getting a pap smear. I told her maybe next year; I can only handle so much anxiety waiting for test results.

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    APny said:

It's definitely normal.

It's definitely normal. Cancer diagnosis changes everything and routine tests we never gave a second thought to become scary. Since my partial nephrectomy in March I've been putting off my mammogram for the same reason and fought my doc tooth and nail over getting a pap smear. I told her maybe next year; I can only handle so much anxiety waiting for test results.

My mom gets a full ct/pet

My mom gets a full ct/pet scan. They told her it covers the breast (formerly also had breast cancer) and all parts of her body. They said she didn't need to go for individual tests.  It would be good if they did the same for everyone.  A full body pet/cs scan from head to toe, bones and all!  

• aamdsi
    Options
    am with you aPny

Going in - only becaused shamed - for my mammo next week.  Absolutely terrified!  But am more concerned now about not catching anything early.  So IF the worse comes back - at least it can be dealt with easily.

But in the meantime I am forcing myself to turn my nose up (so to speak) at it all and just view it as a normal visit. . . with a great reward after for good behavior.

Tjsbtn - Am still thinking positive thoughts for your results! 

• tyjsbtn
    Options
    Thank you all

Thank you all.  I did finally get my results and they are completely clear.  It has been such a relief.  I appreciate everyones postitive thoghts.  I have been such an emotional wreck since my surgery.  Now I can relax until December...then I have my full physical/with pap and my ct follow up scan.  Wish me continued good luck.

Thank you

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful news on your

That's wonderful news on your mammo and hoping for equally wonderful results for all your December tests Smile

• aamdsi
    Options
    tyjsbtn said:

Thank you all

Thank you all.  I did finally get my results and they are completely clear.  It has been such a relief.  I appreciate everyones postitive thoghts.  I have been such an emotional wreck since my surgery.  Now I can relax until December...then I have my full physical/with pap and my ct follow up scan.  Wish me continued good luck.

Thank you

am so glad!

Here's hoping that ALL results are as wonderful 8-)