STRICTLY LADIES ONLY

Options

Sorry for bringing up something personal, but I have just thought some ladies might not know about it.

Many women, including myself, their periods can stop when they're undergoing radio, and all these other horrible cancer treatments.

Mine stopped for 4 months, then they've come back, a bit differently, but are gradually settling down.

Nobody told me about this, and I had to find out for myself.

Just thought it was worth a mention, so that we can understand what's happening, and expect the unexpected!

Love Estelle x  x x

Comments

• Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Options
    For me, chemo started early

For me, chemo started early menopause. I ended up kind of getting stuck in perimenopause and I'm still there, two years later. If you're at all close to when it might happen naturally (I was 47), then don't be surprised if your body thinks chemo is the last straw. ;-)

• Kritter
    Kritter Member Posts: 147
    Options
    Great Subject

Great advice for the younger women on here or ones who still have their periods. I had a full hysterectomy at age 24.. went through surgical menopause in my late 40's early 50's..now 58... so at least that end will be okay.. Laughing.... 

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Options
    Mine are GONE

My periods just stopped 3 years ago when I was 39!  It was about a year before I was diagnosed with cancer and they thought maybe that the changes in my body caused it.  I've had hormone blood work and it shows that I'm IN early menopause but haven't gone totally through it yet.  I wondered if cancer, surgeries and treatments may have caused it to happen early for me?  I did not have chemo, but I had 2 sugeries to remove the tumor and radiation which resulted in a PEG and major dehydration issues.  I've not suffered with hot flashes or anything too much yet, but they told me they could be coming.  Great topic, because I've wondered if anyone else had cycle issues with cancer.

• Anonymous7/6/2023
    Options
    I'm not sure if mine stopped

I'm not sure if mine stopped because I was so ill, or because of my weight loss (about half my body weight, I lost 126 lbs), or because of the cancer, or the treatment!

Or everything combined!

Either way, it's a lot for a body to go through. I see it as my body boarding up the windows to weather the storm :)

• katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Options
    good info !

Hey Estelle !

Good subject, and good information !  I had a complete hysterectomy done several yrs. prior to my H/N dx.  Mother had ovarian cancer, and my CA125 was elevated.  So it was a given to have it done and over with.  But I wanted to mention to other's that what I thought was hormonal changes (HOT FLASHES) was actually my cancer causing these episodes.  I was absolutely floored by the information.  I was told our bodies could go through menopause for yrs. (by the gyno) and then to find out my cancer dx was the cause blew my mind.

I guess the lesson I learned, was never to assume.  Always ask your doctors when you are experiencing things that aren't quite right.  Hugs sent !  Katie