interventional radiology

Options
sandysp
sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member

Hi all,

I have been sleeping most of my life away. It feels good though. I have not been able to stop the pain medication completely but try not to take it on schedule to see if I can go longer each time. I am sleeping through the night now even though it's a small four hour dosage so that is a good sign. 

The next biopsy is going to be in the department of interventional radiology. I was told no one would do a "needle biopsy" based on where this is located at Mt. Sinai I guess things are different at the nations #1 cancer hospital. I haven't talked to my pulmonologist. I will see Dr. Lynn Brody who specializes in these guided biopsies apparently doing a dozen a day sometimes. She does them for the liver and bone too. But as far as I know, I am just getting this same consolidated cystic mass done again.

I have labs first and then see her at 1:00 on Monday. I was really wanting to do it this week but I guess it is good I have have this time to just rest. 

Since I only take shallow breaths, I really can't do anything all that much. As talkative as I usually am, even this is not appealing. 

Thanks for all the help here. If anyone has any insights into why this procedure now, let me know.

Good night.

Sandy

Comments

• nicotianna
    nicotianna Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Sandy

Interventional radiology did a biopsy of my inguinal node in July.  It was a piece of cake.  I only required a local anesthetic.  I think a lung bx would be more complicated.  However, it's all done under x-ray so it's very safe.  I also had PICCs placed in interventional radiology.

I am sorry you are having trouble breathing:(  Wishing you the best!

Nic

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Dear Sandy...

Yes, I noticed tonight when i looked at the US News site that Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: 1. has no "e" at the end of Sloan and 2. really IS #1 for cancer treatment in the USA! I checked a 3-4 years ago for my friend and they were a mere #2 at that time.

I hope all goes very well for you, is quick without anything going wrong, that it heals well, and the biopsy gives you the most benign and treatable of diagnosises. OR maybe all this is just nature's way of telling you that yoga was meant to be done at normal room temperature!

Virtual kisses and armfuls of roses.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sandy

My only experience with interventional radiology was when my port was put in and then taken out.  It went very smoothly.  Now, how that differs from biopsy, I wouldn't know, but I'm sure a biopsy is a little more involved.  However, due to the fact that they can view the area on x-ray while they are collecting the biopsy specimen, they are sure to get the tissue from the exact area in question.  It really is so much better than how biopsies used to be done, which involved actual surgery.  I hope your procedure can be scheduled for next week after your Monday appointment.  I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers, sweet friend, and I hope you'll keep us posted. 

• sandysp
    Options
    mp327 said:

Sandy

My only experience with interventional radiology was when my port was put in and then taken out.  It went very smoothly.  Now, how that differs from biopsy, I wouldn't know, but I'm sure a biopsy is a little more involved.  However, due to the fact that they can view the area on x-ray while they are collecting the biopsy specimen, they are sure to get the tissue from the exact area in question.  It really is so much better than how biopsies used to be done, which involved actual surgery.  I hope your procedure can be scheduled for next week after your Monday appointment.  I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers, sweet friend, and I hope you'll keep us posted. 

ha, ha - re: Yoga at room temperature

I am getting stronger and starting to think about going back to the hot room for more Yoga. It's been a week and a half and I really am starting to crave being back in the room. We just do what we can there. It's okay to sit down if one gets dizzy (which most of us do from time to time). I am still having vertigo issues when I look back and to the left so the triangle pose is one I fall out of a lot. I read up on pleural effusion and it recommends doing the same breathing exercises we do at Bikram Yoga. I am doing them at home and when I sing, since I can't really breathe any other way without getting slammed with a stabbing pain. Pleuricy is like the great teacher. People are saying I am still singing better than ever. One eared, one lunged Sandy!

I have had the bronchoscopy which showed some squamous cells and this new procedure which needle biopsied the mass from the esophagus which came back negative, so I guess an interventional radiology biopsy is going to be my next experience with biopsies. I also had my port removed in interventional radiology. They would or could not give me anesthesia because my blood pressure was running "ridiculously low" and I it hurt like hell but the doctor was very fast. I do not want to feel them put a needle through the pleura. I am glad your biopsy didn't hurt you, Nicotannia and thanks for sharing that. It makes me feel a lot better. 

Here is what the last CT scan said (the one before was in July, this one September 26th):

LUNGS:                                   Right infrahilar masslike 
    consolidation has further slightly increased previously 2.6 x 2.5 cm 
    currently 3.5 x 2.0 cm. Further detail (Re: right lower lobe ground glass 
    opacities) is obscuredby mild respiratory motion.

PLEURA/PERICARDIUM:     New trace right pleural effusion. No left pleural 
    or pericardial effusion.

So the "trace right pleural effusion" is what has caused the pain. Pleuricy is inflammation and pleural effusion I guess is when you can see edema in the pleura. If this is what a trace amount does, I can't imagine how it must have been for Joanne. I have really thought a lot about how much she did for us and she is the only one I know of on the board who is not with us anymore on account of pleural effusion. If it happens to me, I will follow in the footsteps of St. Joanne.

Anyway, whether or not the consolodation is benign or cancerous, it grew just a little bit but more significantly to me is that it changed shape a lot. These tumors are like little living demons, aren't they? Blood suckers too. Anyway, it's obviously not a "mucous plug" as one pulmonologist suggested or it would have been blown out during the bronchoscopy and "lavash". This is going to be an interesting week. The pulmonologist told me we would need to remove it if it grew and I guess if that were done it would probably be by "VATS" like I keep seeing on this board and saying to myself "what is VATS?" 

Reading up on Interventional radiology, I guess these Interventional Radiologists also do VATS? Is that right?

I am getting ahead of myself, but it seems a given this thing has got to go and I am ready to say good by:-) It occupys too much space in my head, not to mention my heart/lung chakra:-)

My husband found out this week he has "atrial fibrilation". So he is having to think about his health and take medicine and go back next week and they are preparing him for more tests. All of a sudden he is appreciating a bit what it's like to suddenly have to face this stuff of health concerns. At 68, he has had a really good run of terrific health. I've always been a little envious as the one who has always gotten sick a lot and had chronic pain issues. He is going with me to my doctor's appointment and then I will accompany him to his.

I don't know what I would do without all of you or my church and spiritual life which is the best it has ever been. 

Have great weekends. Tomorrow is St. Francis Day and my children's choir is leading the service which will be outside where the humans will take communion and the animals get blessed together. So sweet!

Fondly,

Sandy

• mp327
    Options
    sandysp said:

ha, ha - re: Yoga at room temperature

I am getting stronger and starting to think about going back to the hot room for more Yoga. It's been a week and a half and I really am starting to crave being back in the room. We just do what we can there. It's okay to sit down if one gets dizzy (which most of us do from time to time). I am still having vertigo issues when I look back and to the left so the triangle pose is one I fall out of a lot. I read up on pleural effusion and it recommends doing the same breathing exercises we do at Bikram Yoga. I am doing them at home and when I sing, since I can't really breathe any other way without getting slammed with a stabbing pain. Pleuricy is like the great teacher. People are saying I am still singing better than ever. One eared, one lunged Sandy!

I have had the bronchoscopy which showed some squamous cells and this new procedure which needle biopsied the mass from the esophagus which came back negative, so I guess an interventional radiology biopsy is going to be my next experience with biopsies. I also had my port removed in interventional radiology. They would or could not give me anesthesia because my blood pressure was running "ridiculously low" and I it hurt like hell but the doctor was very fast. I do not want to feel them put a needle through the pleura. I am glad your biopsy didn't hurt you, Nicotannia and thanks for sharing that. It makes me feel a lot better. 

Here is what the last CT scan said (the one before was in July, this one September 26th):

LUNGS:                                   Right infrahilar masslike 
    consolidation has further slightly increased previously 2.6 x 2.5 cm 
    currently 3.5 x 2.0 cm. Further detail (Re: right lower lobe ground glass 
    opacities) is obscuredby mild respiratory motion.

PLEURA/PERICARDIUM:     New trace right pleural effusion. No left pleural 
    or pericardial effusion.

So the "trace right pleural effusion" is what has caused the pain. Pleuricy is inflammation and pleural effusion I guess is when you can see edema in the pleura. If this is what a trace amount does, I can't imagine how it must have been for Joanne. I have really thought a lot about how much she did for us and she is the only one I know of on the board who is not with us anymore on account of pleural effusion. If it happens to me, I will follow in the footsteps of St. Joanne.

Anyway, whether or not the consolodation is benign or cancerous, it grew just a little bit but more significantly to me is that it changed shape a lot. These tumors are like little living demons, aren't they? Blood suckers too. Anyway, it's obviously not a "mucous plug" as one pulmonologist suggested or it would have been blown out during the bronchoscopy and "lavash". This is going to be an interesting week. The pulmonologist told me we would need to remove it if it grew and I guess if that were done it would probably be by "VATS" like I keep seeing on this board and saying to myself "what is VATS?" 

Reading up on Interventional radiology, I guess these Interventional Radiologists also do VATS? Is that right?

I am getting ahead of myself, but it seems a given this thing has got to go and I am ready to say good by:-) It occupys too much space in my head, not to mention my heart/lung chakra:-)

My husband found out this week he has "atrial fibrilation". So he is having to think about his health and take medicine and go back next week and they are preparing him for more tests. All of a sudden he is appreciating a bit what it's like to suddenly have to face this stuff of health concerns. At 68, he has had a really good run of terrific health. I've always been a little envious as the one who has always gotten sick a lot and had chronic pain issues. He is going with me to my doctor's appointment and then I will accompany him to his.

I don't know what I would do without all of you or my church and spiritual life which is the best it has ever been. 

Have great weekends. Tomorrow is St. Francis Day and my children's choir is leading the service which will be outside where the humans will take communion and the animals get blessed together. So sweet!

Fondly,

Sandy

Sandy

I had to look it up because I didn't know--VATS is Video Assisted Thoroscopic Surgery.  The information I looked at kept referring to the "surgeon" as the one performing the procedure.  But I would think that an interventional radiologist would also be present.  Do you know yet when you'll have the procedure?

As for husbands and illness, mine is seemingly healthy, except for high cholesterol and being overweight.  Some things are just hard to figure out.  I have had way more health issues than he's ever had, yet I am the one who eats right (most of the time) and exercises.  Go figure!

Take care, my sweet friend, and enjoy all the services tomorrow!

Martha

• sandysp
    Options
    mp327 said:

Sandy

I had to look it up because I didn't know--VATS is Video Assisted Thoroscopic Surgery.  The information I looked at kept referring to the "surgeon" as the one performing the procedure.  But I would think that an interventional radiologist would also be present.  Do you know yet when you'll have the procedure?

As for husbands and illness, mine is seemingly healthy, except for high cholesterol and being overweight.  Some things are just hard to figure out.  I have had way more health issues than he's ever had, yet I am the one who eats right (most of the time) and exercises.  Go figure!

Take care, my sweet friend, and enjoy all the services tomorrow!

Martha

Today at Interventional Radiology

The St, Francis Day service was great but it was outside in temperatures in the low 40's which aggravated the pain I get when breathing. But I was grateful to be able to just show up and lead:-)

Today I met with the Interventional Radologist and we looked at the scans. She had never seen anything like my little "consolidation". We discussed it and since I am symptomatic, it looks like there is  only one logical call and that's to do this procedure which she doesn't seem to think is all that complicated. She doesn't think they will stick me in the heart. 

Evidently when biopsies are clearly cancer you know right away but sometimes when they are not cancer, it is much harder to rule cancer out or figure out what it is. So there will be pathologists right there who will let her know if she has a good enough sample. The heart is in the way so she can only do so much. They will also be working on cultures for the mold fungus to see what type it could be. I don't think the exact type of mold has been identified yet. 

The next biopsy won't be for two weeks. That's as early as they could get me in, the way I am today, which is pretty good. I haven't had a pain pill since 1:30 this morning:-) Yesterday I took them pretty much on schedule since I started off the day singing outside in the cold air.

The fluid is not good and the fact I am not coughing at all is not good (even though I surely do not want to cough). So no choice but to figure out why this thing is taking up space in my chest.

All the best,

Sandy

• mp327
    Options
    sandysp said:

The St, Francis Day service was great but it was outside in temperatures in the low 40's which aggravated the pain I get when breathing. But I was grateful to be able to just show up and lead:-)

Today I met with the Interventional Radologist and we looked at the scans. She had never seen anything like my little "consolidation". We discussed it and since I am symptomatic, it looks like there is  only one logical call and that's to do this procedure which she doesn't seem to think is all that complicated. She doesn't think they will stick me in the heart. 

Evidently when biopsies are clearly cancer you know right away but sometimes when they are not cancer, it is much harder to rule cancer out or figure out what it is. So there will be pathologists right there who will let her know if she has a good enough sample. The heart is in the way so she can only do so much. They will also be working on cultures for the mold fungus to see what type it could be. I don't think the exact type of mold has been identified yet. 

The next biopsy won't be for two weeks. That's as early as they could get me in, the way I am today, which is pretty good. I haven't had a pain pill since 1:30 this morning:-) Yesterday I took them pretty much on schedule since I started off the day singing outside in the cold air.

The fluid is not good and the fact I am not coughing at all is not good (even though I surely do not want to cough). So no choice but to figure out why this thing is taking up space in my chest.

All the best,

Sandy

Sandy

I like the confidence your interventional radiologist shows in doing this procedure.  It sounds like you'll have a complete medical team during this and that answers will be forthcoming so that you can go after whatever this is.  I'm glad you're in good hands, my sweet friend.  Please let us know when your procedure gets scheduled. 

Hugs!

Martha

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    sandysp said:

All the best,

Sandy

sandysp

I hope these next 2 weeks go quickly for you, and I hope your husband is doing better as well. Just know you are in my thoughts and prayers for all good results !