Mayo came through again

hwt
hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member

Surgery was last Friday. Two hours turned into 7. They removed the titanium link from my jaw. looks like a bicycle chain. What a feeling of relief to have it gone after almost 3 years or toting it around and being uncomfortable. Guess there were 3pieces of fibula used back then. Near hinge and middle of chin had fused. One small spot  did not and that is where bone was very thin. They pulled good bone together and feel it is plenty viable to fuse. They had to do a flap to pull tissue for my chest to jawline. Needed to close fistula. He could have stretched but was not sure enough to hold. The blood supply on flap was flipped around so never really disconnected. Hospital stay went from two days to I think five. They pulled the drain in my chest before I left. Always thought they were just checking drain. No idea til I got home that there was a 12 Inch incision down and under my breast.  So far, they seem plenty pleased. I pressed the issue of getting the nasal feeding tube out ASAP. They pulled the stitch before I left and that helped allot. It came out yesterday and now I wish it was still there. Meds are the worst but they are pretty much done tomorrow. Since I can never eat celery again, you would think I enjoy the one that tastes like celery but not so. Face doesn't look to good but they swear it will be good in 3 Weeks and then they can tweek it if needed. I have seen progress as swelling goes down daily. I should be able to wear a lower denture. That would not have been possible if bone wasn't good. As you know, I lost my Mom earlier this month. I Sure miss her and the comfort she always offered in times like this.I have bee through allot but I rank this surgery close to the top. I promised family I will try harder tomorrow with nutrition and hydration. Sorry for typos but my brother got me an IPad and i am trying to maneuver with fingernails. 

God bless each of you.

Candi

Comments

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Yay For Mayo!

Glad you are recoving now from that!  Keep it up!

Lorna

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    good, better, best

Candi,

I am glad you are ok and are determined to feel better.  It often takes a while for the meds to clear and feel less fuzzy.

Always my best,

Matt

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Glad they came through for you...

Good to have the drain tubes out. I felt better but got some pain with it. Each small step on recovery is really a major step. Glad to hear your spirits are up and you are really doing better.

Bill

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Candi

You honestly sound great.  Keep up the good work.  The things that can be done are pretty amazing, aren't they?

best

Pat

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    candi, you are simply

candi, you are simply AMAZING!!  you have been thur so much and continue to stay positive.  i'm so glad that huge surgery is behind you and you are on the road to healing.  please forgive my memory but I did not know you lost your mom.  I'm am so very sorry for your loss.  that is a lot to deal with at one time.  I pray for you to heal without any complications and may God help ease the terrible pain in your broken heart.  I hope you will find comfort from the support of the rest of your family.  I will keep you in my prayers.

God bless you Candi.

dj

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Thank you

Thank you for the update.  Sounds like you aare ready to heal.  Things do settle after surgery, hopefully you will not need to have more.  Sounds like you are doing well, all things considered.  Glad they got that fistula.

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Keep on keeping on....

You are such an inspiration!  I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend :)

• hwt

candi, you are simply

candi, you are simply AMAZING!!  you have been thur so much and continue to stay positive.  i'm so glad that huge surgery is behind you and you are on the road to healing.  please forgive my memory but I did not know you lost your mom.  I'm am so very sorry for your loss.  that is a lot to deal with at one time.  I pray for you to heal without any complications and may God help ease the terrible pain in your broken heart.  I hope you will find comfort from the support of the rest of your family.  I will keep you in my prayers.

God bless you Candi.

dj

Thank you all

Thank you for the sympathy of losing my Mom and for well wishes for me. My Mom raised us right and my family support system is beyond comprehension. I am very blessed in that respect. And yes Pat, the medical advances are unbelievable. Keeping that original blood supply intact removes so much risk of flap failure. Not to mention someone could have a 12 inch incision and not know if for 5 days! Will go back for followup Oct 6. 

• josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member
    Good news!

Congratulations on this step and prayers to you. josh r.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Candi

I went to Mayo for a second opinion, my company flew my wife and me there then put us up in a hotel and few us back, all on them. I could not believe it because I did not ask anyone to do this; they did it just because they knew I needed some help in what to do. All I can say about Mayo is only good and very professional. Don’t worries about how it all looks right now it will get better as they said. Will continue to keep you in prayer.

I was once a nice looking guy now I look more like a skeleton with skin, all part of my new normal. My grandchildren love me and when they see me walking in call me by name, Papa…  I think my wife still loves me too??????

Tim Hondo  

• hwt
    Hondo said:

Hi Candi

I went to Mayo for a second opinion, my company flew my wife and me there then put us up in a hotel and few us back, all on them. I could not believe it because I did not ask anyone to do this; they did it just because they knew I needed some help in what to do. All I can say about Mayo is only good and very professional. Don’t worries about how it all looks right now it will get better as they said. Will continue to keep you in prayer.

I was once a nice looking guy now I look more like a skeleton with skin, all part of my new normal. My grandchildren love me and when they see me walking in call me by name, Papa…  I think my wife still loves me too??????

Tim Hondo  

Wow

Tim, what a wonderful gesture by your company. Speaks highly of them and you as well. Mayo very efficient and if something can be done at home, they are ok with that. Travel, hotel, etc get expensive but my family and I love the team approach instead of piece mealing everything here between doctors.  you look handsome and healthy in photo. I too, look in the mirror and short of my eyes, see a different person. My happiest memory was following my 1st surgery and having my young great nieces jump up and kiss me on my lips. They are my world. Children are such a delight!

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    hwt said:

Wow

Tim, what a wonderful gesture by your company. Speaks highly of them and you as well. Mayo very efficient and if something can be done at home, they are ok with that. Travel, hotel, etc get expensive but my family and I love the team approach instead of piece mealing everything here between doctors.  you look handsome and healthy in photo. I too, look in the mirror and short of my eyes, see a different person. My happiest memory was following my 1st surgery and having my young great nieces jump up and kiss me on my lips. They are my world. Children are such a delight!

tough lady!

You are tough. You put me to shame. Gary.

• hwt
    Guzzle said:

tough lady!

You are tough. You put me to shame. Gary.

Choice

No choice, Gary, no choice. I may have had to pull out the strength a few more times than others here but you do what you have to. I learned that from Tim, Lorna, John, DJ, Bev, Kate and others. It takes faith and hope. My philosophy of "take it as it comes and deal with it" has gotten me through tough times and allowed me enjoy life during the good times instead of wasting energy on worry about things that may never come to be. After my first go round, I recall telling myself instead of having a pity party, I had better live today well just in case these became the good old days. I went to Nassau twice with my sisters and Florida with family this past January. I try to make a daily choice for something good. When I wake, I remind myself today is a day The Lord gave me and I should rejoice in it. Not always roses but I do try to enjoy every good moment.....otherwise, the Fight is in vain. I still recall, seems the car radio went off after I got dX and did not go back on til after chemo rads. Then we went to a food truck event in the park with a band and I recall tapping my foot to the music, to dressing as Janis Joplin and dancing at a Halloween party....each was a baby step but very rewarding in being able to enjoy the things life has to offer.

I pray you will each find joy growing with each day.