Silvadene Cream

Hi All,

We got the Silvadene cream and he put it on his radiation burns last night.  He is almost incapatacitated from the pain now.  It made the burns hurt a lot worse.  Did anyone else have this happen?

Comments

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    how about..

Never tried this but I wonder if liquid lidocaine would help. Just rub some on the sore areas then apply the silvadene

• Bunnymom
    Bunnymom Member Posts: 212 Member
    I used Silvadine cream for

I used Silvadine cream for neuropathy (hand and foot) peeling. It's supposed to generate new skin. I used Radioplex for radiation. 

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    sorry

LT,

I used Silver Sulfadiazine cream for treatment of severe neck burn during week 6, 7 & 8.  The neck burn was far and away the worst pain from treatments.

By slathering on the cream (carefully) the pain virtually all went away.

I  do not know enough about the stuff other to say I am sorry and I hope there is an alternate med for you.

Matt

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    wow, i'm sorry that

wow, i'm sorry that happened.  i used aquaphor and it worked a miracle.  my neck was pretty burned with openings in the skin and all.  aquaphor is for burns so that may be why it worked so well and so fast.  i hope you find something to ease the pain.

God bless you,

dj

• LumpinmyThroat
    LumpinmyThroat Member Posts: 98
    Update

After 24 hours with the cream on, he took it off and felt a lot better.  Everyday since then has been good with just the CoolMagic pads and nothing else.  It looks like it is healing now!

• ErthWlkr
    ErthWlkr Member Posts: 60

Update

After 24 hours with the cream on, he took it off and felt a lot better.  Everyday since then has been good with just the CoolMagic pads and nothing else.  It looks like it is healing now!

Burns and breakdowns

Hi L -

I think that we should also clarify what we mean by burns. Radiation "burns" aren't burns in the traditional sense such as burns from a flame. What is happening to your skin is what is happening to the tumor - basically the radiation is disrupting the DNA of the tumor breaking it down cell by cell. The skin is collateral damage since the rays affect the areas that it passes thru and nearby.The effect is the same.

So what you're seeing on the skin is actually tissue breakdown that resembles what we would call a burn.

Silvadene is usually used to prevent infection - although some have found relief with it for radiation burns. Basically what needs to be done is "cool" the area - which has a numbing effet - and deal with the pain while the skin begins to rebuild.

That's basically what the Cool Magic gel is doing. You use what works. Just be careful when dealing with open wounds and make sure you're hands are clean and/or gloved when applying any dressing.

Aloe has worked as well for many. Which shows that you try things until you find something that works. Everyone is unique in this respect and sometimes the first choice is the answer, sometimes the third or fourth choice is the answer.

But it sounds like you've found a solution. Go with it. What works is most important...

Wishing him a quick recovery!

- Jeff

• LumpinmyThroat
    LumpinmyThroat Member Posts: 98
    Update 2

He has skin!  It's healing over!  It's really exciting for us as it has been 3 weeks of torture for him.  He says the burn has been the worst part of everything physically.  He's been using Biafine cream (made in France) for the last week and really likes it.  Of course that means the insurance company called and said they don't cover it and we've have to switch to something else, but whatever insurance chumps, I can get it online.  :)

I hope everyone is having a great day today.  Hugs.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member

Update 2

He has skin!  It's healing over!  It's really exciting for us as it has been 3 weeks of torture for him.  He says the burn has been the worst part of everything physically.  He's been using Biafine cream (made in France) for the last week and really likes it.  Of course that means the insurance company called and said they don't cover it and we've have to switch to something else, but whatever insurance chumps, I can get it online.  :)

I hope everyone is having a great day today.  Hugs.

fantastic!!  how exciting

fantastic!!  how exciting that he found something that works and he is feeling better.  as for insurance, well, too much could be said about that but i want to keep this post clean, so i'll pass.  i'm doing a happy dance that he is on the mend!!!

God bless you both,

dj