Gyn exam - Oh! My! GOLLY!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• judyv3
    judyv3 Member Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Say: "Cheese!"

mp327, jcruz, judyv3: A colposcope is a microscope mounted onto a stand. It's about the size of a small hand-held video recorder. A bright light, also mounted on a stand, is focused into the vagina. The MD looks through the scope into the vagina and paints the surfaces with acetic acid (like vinegar). Cancerous cells stand out and can be biopsied with accuracy.

The practise where I was seen has a colposcope in every exam room, just like they have a B/P cuff and an otoscope. Because of vaginal stenosis, I use dilators, but had only gotten up to a medium before my appointment and that with some pain. So I had a lot of trepidation myself! The doc used a small-sized speculum which was apparently "just my size"  .^_^.  The acetic acid stung mildly, but no big deal. It was a very cold day and the room was a little chilly, so the warm light shing into me felt really good, warming me from the core outward. Ha! The doctor saw no abnormal cells through the colposcope/microscope. If he had wanted to take a biopsy or a conization or LEEP, I'm sure there WOULD have been pain.

All the best to everyone!

Thursday

I have an appointment for a check-up on Thursday.  I dread it and am dragging my husband along for moral support.  I've been using dilators, but haven't been vigilant about it.  I'll just suck it up and get it done, just like everything else!

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    judyv3 said:

Thursday

I have an appointment for a check-up on Thursday.  I dread it and am dragging my husband along for moral support.  I've been using dilators, but haven't been vigilant about it.  I'll just suck it up and get it done, just like everything else!

Speak up.

Be sure you tell the doctor about your pelvic radiation exposure, vaginal stenosis, and the need for a small-sized speculum. It's good to drag husbands along - they should know what we have to go through .^_^.

I dreaded this exam, too, but was relieved, grateful, and overjoyed to find that it was so much better than the last one!!!

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Options

Say: "Cheese!"

mp327, jcruz, judyv3: A colposcope is a microscope mounted onto a stand. It's about the size of a small hand-held video recorder. A bright light, also mounted on a stand, is focused into the vagina. The MD looks through the scope into the vagina and paints the surfaces with acetic acid (like vinegar). Cancerous cells stand out and can be biopsied with accuracy.

The practise where I was seen has a colposcope in every exam room, just like they have a B/P cuff and an otoscope. Because of vaginal stenosis, I use dilators, but had only gotten up to a medium before my appointment and that with some pain. So I had a lot of trepidation myself! The doc used a small-sized speculum which was apparently "just my size"  .^_^.  The acetic acid stung mildly, but no big deal. It was a very cold day and the room was a little chilly, so the warm light shing into me felt really good, warming me from the core outward. Ha! The doctor saw no abnormal cells through the colposcope/microscope. If he had wanted to take a biopsy or a conization or LEEP, I'm sure there WOULD have been pain.

All the best to everyone!

And.....

I forgot to say that I have a yellow vaginal discharge since the cancer treatment. Not watery, just there. After the colposcopy, the gynecological oncologist said it was from radiation inflammation, "The cells are weeping." He said it may last up to 2 years, if it's going to go away at all.

He prescribed Vagifem tablets, but the insurance company is dragging its feet and is "evaluating the claim".

• judyv3
    Options

Speak up.

Be sure you tell the doctor about your pelvic radiation exposure, vaginal stenosis, and the need for a small-sized speculum. It's good to drag husbands along - they should know what we have to go through .^_^.

I dreaded this exam, too, but was relieved, grateful, and overjoyed to find that it was so much better than the last one!!!

Thanks

I am at work now, dreading the upcoming appointment.  I made it EXTREMELY clear what I needed with the scheduler.  Also, I 've been going to this gynecologist for a long time.  He saw me just before treatment when he said "this is the last time we'll see your vagina in its pristine condition".  I told him to choose his words more carefully.  Sadly, he was correct.  Things are very different down there.  After all we've been through, how bad can this appointment be, right?  I'll let you all know.

Judy

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    Options

And.....

I forgot to say that I have a yellow vaginal discharge since the cancer treatment. Not watery, just there. After the colposcopy, the gynecological oncologist said it was from radiation inflammation, "The cells are weeping." He said it may last up to 2 years, if it's going to go away at all.

He prescribed Vagifem tablets, but the insurance company is dragging its feet and is "evaluating the claim".

Ouch

I haven't had any vaginal discharge but am on both estrace and vagifem along with otc replens and sometimes carlson key-e vitamin e vaginal suppositories, I have not been dillagent about my dialotors but after reading these posts and knowing I have a gyn appt early April I think I will try and get in a routine. My stenosis was bad before radiation from surgeries now it is of course worse, my poor husband has been patient now too many years, I think I will make it my mission to use the dialators and the products I have also slacked on.

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Options
    qv62 said:

Ouch

I haven't had any vaginal discharge but am on both estrace and vagifem along with otc replens and sometimes carlson key-e vitamin e vaginal suppositories, I have not been dillagent about my dialotors but after reading these posts and knowing I have a gyn appt early April I think I will try and get in a routine. My stenosis was bad before radiation from surgeries now it is of course worse, my poor husband has been patient now too many years, I think I will make it my mission to use the dialators and the products I have also slacked on.

qv62

All the best vaginal luck possible!!!

(I wonder, do men have urethral stenosis from radiation?)

• judyv3
    Options
    judyv3 said:

Thanks

I am at work now, dreading the upcoming appointment.  I made it EXTREMELY clear what I needed with the scheduler.  Also, I 've been going to this gynecologist for a long time.  He saw me just before treatment when he said "this is the last time we'll see your vagina in its pristine condition".  I told him to choose his words more carefully.  Sadly, he was correct.  Things are very different down there.  After all we've been through, how bad can this appointment be, right?  I'll let you all know.

Judy

Update

I had my check-up on Thursday.  It was extremely uncomfortable.  When the doc "went in" for the first look, he was not as gentle as I needed and I sat straight up and grabbed his hands.  Lol.  Needless to say he was surprised.  I have a tipped uterus and it makes getting the cells needed for a pap test difficult.  Once I told him to be gentle I got through it.  Just had to remind myself to breathe.  It was slightly painful, but bearable.  

Aggravating though, to have this doc that I've been seeing for 10 years or more, say "so did you have colon or rectal cancer?"  Just read the chart.  Next up - mammogram and bone density.  Then it'll be check up with the colo-rectal doc and in April scans, etc.  Always at the doctor.

Check one more thing off the list.

Judy

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    judyv3 said:

Update

I had my check-up on Thursday.  It was extremely uncomfortable.  When the doc "went in" for the first look, he was not as gentle as I needed and I sat straight up and grabbed his hands.  Lol.  Needless to say he was surprised.  I have a tipped uterus and it makes getting the cells needed for a pap test difficult.  Once I told him to be gentle I got through it.  Just had to remind myself to breathe.  It was slightly painful, but bearable.  

Aggravating though, to have this doc that I've been seeing for 10 years or more, say "so did you have colon or rectal cancer?"  Just read the chart.  Next up - mammogram and bone density.  Then it'll be check up with the colo-rectal doc and in April scans, etc.  Always at the doctor.

Judy

Judy

I'm glad you got through the exam okay once you told your doctor to take it easy.  I am awaiting pap results from my yearly exam in late January.  My pelvic exam was not painful, luckily. 

I think the fact that your doctor did not know the type of cancer you had shows that anal cancer is still buried back in the minds of some doctors who are not familiar with it.  I am quick to correct any of my healthcare professionals about what type of cancer I had.  They always look surprised. 

I have been out of town for a family death for over a week and had to cancel a couple of appts. I had scheduled for last week, so Monday morning, I will be on the phone rescheduling my yearly physical with my internist after I go for fasting bloodwork.  I also need to schedule a mammogram and I am scheduled for a follow-up CT scan on Feb. 20th. to have another look at that thingy on my liver.  I will see my med onc on the 24th. to discuss those findings.  Like you, I always try to get a lot of my yearly appts. out of the way at the first of the year so I can not deal with all of this when warm weather gets here!

I hope we both get the all clear on those paps!

Martha

• qv62
    Options

qv62

All the best vaginal luck possible!!!

(I wonder, do men have urethral stenosis from radiation?)

Ouch

Thank you I could use some luck with this, I also need to put my mind to it.

• qv62
    Options
    mp327 said:

Judy

I'm glad you got through the exam okay once you told your doctor to take it easy.  I am awaiting pap results from my yearly exam in late January.  My pelvic exam was not painful, luckily. 

I think the fact that your doctor did not know the type of cancer you had shows that anal cancer is still buried back in the minds of some doctors who are not familiar with it.  I am quick to correct any of my healthcare professionals about what type of cancer I had.  They always look surprised. 

I have been out of town for a family death for over a week and had to cancel a couple of appts. I had scheduled for last week, so Monday morning, I will be on the phone rescheduling my yearly physical with my internist after I go for fasting bloodwork.  I also need to schedule a mammogram and I am scheduled for a follow-up CT scan on Feb. 20th. to have another look at that thingy on my liver.  I will see my med onc on the 24th. to discuss those findings.  Like you, I always try to get a lot of my yearly appts. out of the way at the first of the year so I can not deal with all of this when warm weather gets here!

Martha

mp327

My condolences to you and your family, sorry to hear of your loss. I hope all your rescheduling and results go well

• qv62
    Options
    judyv3 said:

Update

Judy

judyv3

Hoping all your results are good ones, I know what you mean about always having an appt, although I am happy to report that for the month of Feb I have no appts, can't remeber when I had a month off.I will however be bombarded in March

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    qv62 said:

mp327

My condolences to you and your family, sorry to hear of your loss. I hope all your rescheduling and results go well

qv62

Thank you so much for your kind words.  We are all doing well, as we know my MIL is no longer suffering.  Thank you for the good wishes on my upcoming appts. and scan--they are very much appreciated.

Martha

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Options
    mp327 said:

Judy

Martha

Looks of surprise and it's a busy diagnosis......

"I am quick to correct any of my healthcare professionals about what type of cancer I had.  They always look surprised."

In the beginning, I was embarassed by the disagnosis and would tell people that I had cancer "in my GI tract". but I got over that. Now, I come right out and tell people the diagnosis in a very matter-of-fact way (and get a secret little kick out of seeing them look surprised or even embarassed themselves - I'm a naughty girl).

The first thing I noticed when friends began having cancer was that cancer is practically a full-time job! Even afterwards, with NED diagnosises (no evidence of disease), it's still a part-time job.