Next step for my Mom

Options
Kaleena
Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

We met with the oncologist on Tuesday.   He indicated that she is a Stage 3 (HER2 Positive) at this point given the skin and a lymph node involvement.  However, during examination, he could not feel the lymph node.   The doctor wants her to get a PET scan.   Right now we are waiting for approval and hopefully it will be scheduled this Friday.   Assuming that the cancer is only in the right breast, I believe my mom's course of action will be to have a lumpectomy with node removal first.  The oncologist indicated if she has a lumpectomy, then radiation is recommended.  If she has a masectomy, then no radiation would be required.

Right now, she is leaning for the lumpectomy.  She may do radiation and/or she may do herceptin.  My mom decided though under no circumstances will she do chemo (she will be 81 in November).   At least at this point she is willing to do something because in the beginning she didn't want to do anything.

Thank you all for all of your advice, recommendations, etc.   I will let you know what happens after the PET scan.

Kathy

Comments

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Next Step

Kathy, I know that this is very hard on you with you not being well yourself but your mother is so lucky to have someone like you watching over her. One good thing is atleast she is leaning toward a treatment plan which is good for her and you. I hope all test turns out good and her treatment of choice can start soon. Wishing both of you the best and will be waiting to hear from you later. (((((HUGS TO BOTH OF YOU))))) Pixie Dust

• Kaleena
    Options

Next Step

Kathy, I know that this is very hard on you with you not being well yourself but your mother is so lucky to have someone like you watching over her. One good thing is atleast she is leaning toward a treatment plan which is good for her and you. I hope all test turns out good and her treatment of choice can start soon. Wishing both of you the best and will be waiting to hear from you later. (((((HUGS TO BOTH OF YOU))))) Pixie Dust

Thank you!

Thanks Pixie Dust!

Your reply is much appreciated.  My mom is doing her daily things and I am glad to see that.   In fact, I know this is weird, but it seems that she is actually more full of life than before.  In some ways, I think she now understands somewhat of what I have been going through and now feels closer to me.

As for me, I will get my stent replaced on Oct 29th and I see the gyne/onc on November 11th to discuss what should be done, if anything, concerning the soft tissue mass.   

I hope all is well with you.  (((Hugs)))

Kathy

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Thank you!

Thanks Pixie Dust!

Your reply is much appreciated.  My mom is doing her daily things and I am glad to see that.   In fact, I know this is weird, but it seems that she is actually more full of life than before.  In some ways, I think she now understands somewhat of what I have been going through and now feels closer to me.

As for me, I will get my stent replaced on Oct 29th and I see the gyne/onc on November 11th to discuss what should be done, if anything, concerning the soft tissue mass.   

I hope all is well with you.  (((Hugs)))

Kathy

Your mom

Kathy, you are a great daughter. I have just finished arranging cataract surgery for my mom. I couldn't imagine having to deal with something as serious as what your mom is going through. I'm glad to see she is coming around to the idea of treatment. It's the best if she wants to stay independent. I won't let my mother drive right now until she gets the cataract off and it's driving her crazy!! Good luck for both of you, hugs, Anna

• Kaleena
    Options
    button2 said:

Your mom

Kathy, you are a great daughter. I have just finished arranging cataract surgery for my mom. I couldn't imagine having to deal with something as serious as what your mom is going through. I'm glad to see she is coming around to the idea of treatment. It's the best if she wants to stay independent. I won't let my mother drive right now until she gets the cataract off and it's driving her crazy!! Good luck for both of you, hugs, Anna

Thanks, Anna

My mom had cataract surgery last year.   I think they even did an implant since she was real near sided in one eye.  She did well.  She only had to put drops in her eye for a couple of weeks.   My best to you and your mom in her upcoming surgery and that she will be driving again soon.

Thank you too for your kind words and well wishes.  It is greatly appreciated.

Kathy

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    hugs

hugs

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I think I would also lean

I think I would also lean toward lumpectomy and radiation.  Statistically, lumpectomy patients do very well and, unless the onc says she needs a mastectomy, I would do the less invasive with an 81 year old.  This is a personal preference, but it is what I would want at her age.

You are a wonderful daughter!!!  Keep in touch and big, big hugs!

• Kaleena
    Options

I think I would also lean

I think I would also lean toward lumpectomy and radiation.  Statistically, lumpectomy patients do very well and, unless the onc says she needs a mastectomy, I would do the less invasive with an 81 year old.  This is a personal preference, but it is what I would want at her age.

You are a wonderful daughter!!!  Keep in touch and big, big hugs!

Hugs!

Thanks Disney and CypressCynthia!  I appreciate the hugs and your opinion.

I am also sending you big hugs Cynthia while you are waiting for your results.   I think they should send anyone waiting for results on a vacation as part of the process!

My best to you!

Kathy