tissue expanders after Double Mastectomy

mamaxs2
mamaxs2 Member Posts: 12

Just wanted to know if it is normal to feel intense tightness in your chest due to tissue expanders.  I just had my DM almost 3 weeks ago.  Drains are to be removed in a few days.  I am still on pain meds, but lower doses due to the pain/tightness I still feel.  Is this normal?

Comments

• Kat4
    Kat4 Member Posts: 1
    tissue expanders

My expanders caused a lot of tightness in my chest. I had my implants put in 7 weeks ago. It gets a little worse when fluid is added but I found that went away in a day or so. The expanders are quite uncomfortable but I didn't have too much trouble. Just remember it's temporary.

• Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Probably normal

Hi Mamaxs2,

A lot of people feel tightness in their chest due to the tissue expanders.  I think it is normal and that it will resolve over time.  You should still mention it to your plastic surgeon, however.  I know I had a lot of tightness but it did resolve over time.  The tightness wasn't painful, it was just a little uncomfortable.  I found that the more I was able to return to my normal routine and move around that the situation got better quicker.

I hope you feel better soon.

Clementine

• bethsbaby
    bethsbaby Member Posts: 61

Probably normal

Hi Mamaxs2,

A lot of people feel tightness in their chest due to the tissue expanders.  I think it is normal and that it will resolve over time.  You should still mention it to your plastic surgeon, however.  I know I had a lot of tightness but it did resolve over time.  The tightness wasn't painful, it was just a little uncomfortable.  I found that the more I was able to return to my normal routine and move around that the situation got better quicker.

I hope you feel better soon.

Clementine

hello Mamaxs2,  I remember

hello Mamaxs2,  I remember reading that some people called the tissue expanders the "iron bra",  yes tightness can be really uncomfortable.  My plastic surgeon said that usually if you felt the pain and discomfort in the beginninging the time near the end would be easy, and those who had no problems in the beginning seemed to have an uncomfortable end of the expansion process.   I was very uncomfortable in the beginning, and yes it did improve .  I found that if I took an advil about an hour before my fills, I felt a little better afterwards.   Good luck and hopefully you will start feeling more comfortable soon,  Try rubbing lotion or vit E oil on them,  massage will help.  Good Luck and feel better soon.  

Bethsbaby

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    bethsbaby said:

hello Mamaxs2,  I remember

hello Mamaxs2,  I remember reading that some people called the tissue expanders the "iron bra",  yes tightness can be really uncomfortable.  My plastic surgeon said that usually if you felt the pain and discomfort in the beginninging the time near the end would be easy, and those who had no problems in the beginning seemed to have an uncomfortable end of the expansion process.   I was very uncomfortable in the beginning, and yes it did improve .  I found that if I took an advil about an hour before my fills, I felt a little better afterwards.   Good luck and hopefully you will start feeling more comfortable soon,  Try rubbing lotion or vit E oil on them,  massage will help.  Good Luck and feel better soon.  

Bethsbaby

... what helped me with placing small bags of frozen

pea's on my newly fluid filled expanders - I did this for 15 minutes, every 2 hours for a few days.  I also got the approval from my Plastic Surgeon to take Tylenol before, and after each tissue fill.

Sorry, for all your pain ..

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

• Leslienva
    Leslienva Member Posts: 5
    Tissue expander discomfort

My plastic surgeon prescribed neurotin for the nerve pain I was feeling. I get my first "fill" on Friday.