celebrating survivorship

Options

I was dx with BC in 2011.  The road has had many bumps along the way.  Finally almost 3 years out I feel things are settling down.  I changed my diet to a lot of raw fruits and vegetables, mostly vegan, and I walk EVERY day 3-6 miles.  I want to have control over my life and hopefully stop a reoccurance.  I was wondering if cancer changed anyone else's life to be healthier and if it is helping?  Also, how do people celebrate their cancerversaries?  Alivefor5(dot)com wants to help celebrate, congratulate, and educate survivors to help them reach milestones.

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    My 2 yr mark

I'm celebrating 2 years survivorship by running the Race for the Cure 5K this weekend! I can't wait! I too eat mostly vegetarian, lots of fruits, pulses, veggies. I have a list of the nutrients I need every day that are anti-cancerous. Like beta glucans in mushrooms and barley, Beta carotene foods, cruciferous veggies, dark leafy etc. I also have cut out sugar which seems to be important. I run/walk for 1- 1 1/2 hrs 5 X a week. I try to eat certain spices too like cinnamon, cumin, curcumin etc. I like healthy foods so it's no huge change for me anyway. Glad you are feeling so well....

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Survivorship

Lots and Lots of Women on here who are making it day by day...........it is good to see you being so positive and I hope that it continues for all of you.   I am still here after almost 12 years now from end of treatment (will be 12 years next March) and almost 13 years from Diagnosis.   Hurrah for Each Day*  Stay Strong....

• kbarry67
    kbarry67 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Survivorship

Lots and Lots of Women on here who are making it day by day...........it is good to see you being so positive and I hope that it continues for all of you.   I am still here after almost 12 years now from end of treatment (will be 12 years next March) and almost 13 years from Diagnosis.   Hurrah for Each Day*  Stay Strong....

survivorship

Hurrah is right!  Congratulations on thriving for so long and I hope this will just be the beginning :)

Please sign up to get informative articles and information on cancer and ways to stay healthy as well as letting me congratulate you on all of your milestones.

Alivefor5.com

Kristen

• kbarry67
    kbarry67 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    button2 said:

My 2 yr mark

I'm celebrating 2 years survivorship by running the Race for the Cure 5K this weekend! I can't wait! I too eat mostly vegetarian, lots of fruits, pulses, veggies. I have a list of the nutrients I need every day that are anti-cancerous. Like beta glucans in mushrooms and barley, Beta carotene foods, cruciferous veggies, dark leafy etc. I also have cut out sugar which seems to be important. I run/walk for 1- 1 1/2 hrs 5 X a week. I try to eat certain spices too like cinnamon, cumin, curcumin etc. I like healthy foods so it's no huge change for me anyway. Glad you are feeling so well....

2 yr mark

What a great way to celebrate.  Glad to hear you are exercising and eating right to make sure that you keep celebrating cancer free.

Sign up at Alivefor5.com to let others celebrate and congratulate you on your accomplishments.

Kristen

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    no real celelbration except

no real celelbration except in my OWN heard..I mention X amount of years since this or that...but THEY dont' really GET IT...

I cut out Diet Coke completely-i drank it daily...I dont' feel anything different or better but my daughter talked me into it..

Denise

• GlowMore
    Options
    kbarry67 said:

survivorship

Hurrah is right!  Congratulations on thriving for so long and I hope this will just be the beginning :)

Please sign up to get informative articles and information on cancer and ways to stay healthy as well as letting me congratulate you on all of your milestones.

Alivefor5.com

Kristen

Hey Kristen

Hey Kristen....I'll sign up for that alivefor5.com thing if YOU will go to your Home Page here and Fill out the About Me Stuff to help all the new ones who come here to the CSN page...   :)       Deal?    :)

• GlowMore
    Options

no real celelbration except

no real celelbration except in my OWN heard..I mention X amount of years since this or that...but THEY dont' really GET IT...

I cut out Diet Coke completely-i drank it daily...I dont' feel anything different or better but my daughter talked me into it..

Denise

Know what you mean Denise...

I drank Diet Coke like crazy before all this....and even after all 'this' but I stopped it when I noticed my ankles were beginning to swell...........Diet Coke is SUPER FULL OF SALT.......... so anyway.   Love your name of 'disneyfan'  ...would that be the REAL Disney in CA or the "new" one in Florida?  (grin)   I love disney too but it costs so much to go there now that I cant go...I'm on Social Security and watching my pennies.

• confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    I don't really celebrate but

I don't really celebrate but I did just pass my five yr mark and may celebrate that. I do exercise more now and eat a little better but it has been very gradual.  The thing I do different is I feel like I LIVE my life now as opposed to being more of a wall flower before.  I participate with my kids more than just watching them have fun, for example I boogie board and sled with them instead of taking them palces and watching them.  I just appreciate every day more now.  My family has had a lot of cancer survivors and fighers that haven't made it and we tend to do walks every year together that we find healing and fun.  Usually we do the Relay for Life and the Making Strides.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    The great news is that there

The great news is that there are many survivors.  Not just survivors but long term survivors - and that is especially something to celebrate.

But the one problem that I find in being a survivor is that many of the physician offices do not know how to handle survivors.    With me, (uterine survivor), I have gone to 5 different phsycians for a symptom or symptoms I have been having.    Each physician is specialized so that if it doesn't pertain to them I am told that it is nothing to worry about.  Also, my body is different and I don't have the "classic" symptoms.   

I think there needs to be a new type of medical place for survivors to go so that symptoms can be classified and you can be directed to a physician or physicians to handle those (sometime concerning) symptoms.

But in the meantime, I will keep celebrating.   It was 9 years in September for me.   We celebrated two of my three sons birthdays (two born in September) and I had a classic movie night for my friends.  We watched the original Godzilla movie for laughs.

My best to you all.

Kathy