Deferred Pain?

Hello, All.  My dad had an esophagectomy about two months ago.  He has been doing relatively well in terms of recovery from the surgery - but still has a cough and hoarseness - but he developed extreme lower back pain about 4 weeks ago.  We've been to numerous doctors, physical therapy, physical medicine, etc. and all say that this doesn't seem to be related to the surgery.  He still has a feeding tube in, especially since he has lost about 9 pounds because he is in so much back pain that he has no appetite, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the back pain might be related to this or something else involving the surgery.  This pain is debilitating and so incredibly frustrating since he seemed to be doing so well after the surgery; his spirits are very low.  Any help is so appreciated (as always).  

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Surgical pain can last for some time after surgery

When I had my Ivor Lewis surgery I had an area in my lower back that was sore for almost a year afterward. It was about three inches below where the incision was in my back on the left side. It would hurt whenever I did anything strenuous or repetitious. For the first 4 months after surgery it was painful just to stand and the only time I was comfortable is when I was sitting. Strangely enough it would also hurt if I ate too much. It did get better with time but it took much longer than I thought it should.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009 - Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009

Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU - Four Year Survivor