Multiple Primary at 50

Options
TechMama
TechMama Member Posts: 28

This summer, I was sent for my usual mammogram, but the doctor added a thyroid ultrasound because of a goiter.  Within 3 months, I had been diagnosed with breast cancer (the biopsy showed IDC, but the final pathology showed both IDC and ILC with 3 separate nodules), thyroid cancer (a particularly aggressive type, apparently), and skin cancer (which, while it was Melanoma, was thank goodness still in situ).

I have had the surgeries, the skin cancer is clean, but while I have just started chemotherapy for the breast cancer, my endocrinologist does not think I can wait for that to finish before having the iodine radiation for the thyroid cancer.

I am scared and feeling pretty overwhelmed and feel kind of like a freak, having 3 primary cancers at once.  Has anyone here had to do both iodine radiation and chemo at the same time?

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about 3 cancers.

Your medical oncologist should work with your endocrinologist to make decision. Please ask them communicate to each other. Second opinion is always helpful. Probably thyroid needs to be treated soon.

Hugs to you

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

I am sorry to hear about 3 cancers.

Your medical oncologist should work with your endocrinologist to make decision. Please ask them communicate to each other. Second opinion is always helpful. Probably thyroid needs to be treated soon.

Hugs to you

Be sure the right hand knows what the left is doing

I had 2 primary cancers diagnosed at the same time (breast and endometrial) so I understand you being overwhelmed by 2/3.  I was also quite naive (aren't we all?) about how things work when one has cancer.  I felt confident during my care because of the electronic medical record and that I was getting my care at an institution that had it.  My oncologists for both ends still remain informed and ask about the other and know what's gonig on with the other.  Or maybe they're just making conversation.  My treatment course was planned by everyone involved from the getgo.  There has always been communication (when needed).  I also got lucky and needed adjuvunct treatment for breast cancer only.  I have no idea what the plan would have been had I also needed chemo and radiation for the endometrial cancer. 

I agree with Olga about the doctors communicating.  I hope they are.  I don't have any idea how chemotherapy and RAI would interact, so I hope your docs know and can explain it to you.  It's probably unusual to have patients with both cancers at the same time.   It may be perfectly fine, but chemo does such a trip on so many things, that there may be some adverse effects.   If you're not satisfied with the explaination you receive, seek a second opinion before starting thyroid treatment.   The most important thing is that you feel confident in the medical care and advice you're getting.  Sorry you're having to go through all this and hoping for a positive outcome for you.

Suzanne 

• TechMama
    Options
    Thank you both very much for

Thank you both very much for your replies.  I have appointments with both next week and will make sure they have discussed and hear what they have to recommend.  I have not reacted well to the chemo so far (Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxol) and they diagnosed type 2 diabetes in the middle of all this, it's hard to eat anything let alone a steady amount of carbs so they can get the blood sugar regulated, so I'm seriously thinking I will have to find some type of assistance to get the right kind of food during the day when I am home alone.  I am wondering if I need anti-anxiety or anti-depressant right now, or if it is "just" the fatigue.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    TechMama said:

Thank you both very much for your replies.  I have appointments with both next week and will make sure they have discussed and hear what they have to recommend.  I have not reacted well to the chemo so far (Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxol) and they diagnosed type 2 diabetes in the middle of all this, it's hard to eat anything let alone a steady amount of carbs so they can get the blood sugar regulated, so I'm seriously thinking I will have to find some type of assistance to get the right kind of food during the day when I am home alone.  I am wondering if I need anti-anxiety or anti-depressant right now, or if it is "just" the fatigue.

You are going thru so much

I'm sorry to hear about all your problems. I don't think there's a person on here who hasn't had anxiety with their treatment even if it was much easier than what you are going thru. Maybe you can hold off on drugs for that right now and wait until you get used to the treatments. Once it all soaks in, it gets easier emotionally It took me about 5 months to even realize I had cancer. Sometimes I still can't believe all that has happened. Sounds like a good idea to get help through a dietician/cook for your food. It can be so hard to get meals on the table with a cancer diagnosis and you have diabetes now too. Please take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing. Hugs....

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    TechMama said:

Let Us Know

Please be sure to let us know how it goes this week.  Sometimes all we can do is just take a deep breath and keep going for the next week, day or hour.......sometimes even for the next 5 minutes.........anxiety/depression/fear....all very real....very very hard to let them go.   Sending you encouragement as you go thru this ordeal.  Glo

• TechMama
    Options
    Thank you for your

Thank you for your responses.

I am on day 19, my hair is shedding heavily but not really coming out in clumps (at least, not yet).  I had some issues with pain and nausea on days 3, 4, and 5 and wound up in the ER on day 5, then again on day 11 for side effect from the pain meds.  Got that sorted out with some med changes for next round, at least, I hope so. 

The two doctors haven't made a recommendation yet, so still waiting to hear what they have to say.

I keep feeling like my life is on hold, all I'm doing is coping with side effects or spending time until the next thing comes up.  I can't seem to shake that feeling. 

• GlowMore
    Options
    TechMama said:

Thank you for your

I am on day 19, my hair is shedding heavily but not really coming out in clumps (at least, not yet).  I had some issues with pain and nausea on days 3, 4, and 5 and wound up in the ER on day 5, then again on day 11 for side effect from the pain meds.  Got that sorted out with some med changes for next round, at least, I hope so. 

The two doctors haven't made a recommendation yet, so still waiting to hear what they have to say.

I keep feeling like my life is on hold, all I'm doing is coping with side effects or spending time until the next thing comes up.  I can't seem to shake that feeling. 

NOW....

Well....I'm not sure what you are meaning....are you working and doing the chemo ?   I worked thru mine with time off when needed...but it was just a part time job in a nice air conditioned office with lots of nice people who were super encouraging to me.  Life is NOW....not next week or last week........and NOW for you is going thru HELL....but each day you are learning how to cope with this beast.....You Can Do This.     The doctors do tune up the meds some and you should not be having the nausea soon.  I remember they wanted to give me the three chemo drugs and then one week later one of them again...but they were never able to do that because my numbers went down toolow...so they had to recalibrate.  Mine was called the FAC Treatment (5FU/Adriamycin/Cytoxin)..the Taxotere was just beginning to be used but they decided to stay with the FAC for me.  I know it was that lovely Adriamycin RED PUSH that got my hair....it  came out about day 14....middle of the night....running a fever....and reaching up and pulling it out in clumps and dropping into the waste basket by the bed...the rest fell out in the shower the next morning.  You are in a FIGHT and WE ARE WITH YOU*********  Sending Love and Prayers...

• TechMama
    Options
    GlowMore said:

NOW....

Well....I'm not sure what you are meaning....are you working and doing the chemo ?   I worked thru mine with time off when needed...but it was just a part time job in a nice air conditioned office with lots of nice people who were super encouraging to me.  Life is NOW....not next week or last week........and NOW for you is going thru HELL....but each day you are learning how to cope with this beast.....You Can Do This.     The doctors do tune up the meds some and you should not be having the nausea soon.  I remember they wanted to give me the three chemo drugs and then one week later one of them again...but they were never able to do that because my numbers went down toolow...so they had to recalibrate.  Mine was called the FAC Treatment (5FU/Adriamycin/Cytoxin)..the Taxotere was just beginning to be used but they decided to stay with the FAC for me.  I know it was that lovely Adriamycin RED PUSH that got my hair....it  came out about day 14....middle of the night....running a fever....and reaching up and pulling it out in clumps and dropping into the waste basket by the bed...the rest fell out in the shower the next morning.  You are in a FIGHT and WE ARE WITH YOU*********  Sending Love and Prayers...

Thank you very much.  It

Thank you very much.  It still seems so unreal.   Round 2 I am so tired I can barely move.  Thank you all for your encouragement and strength.

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    TechMama said:

Thank you for your

Life on hold

I totally understand what you mean about your life being on hold. Life as you knew it, with all the planning, and being busy with running errands and attending activities and functions, IS on hold for now and it takes awhile to get your head wrapped around this new focus. Right now your life is focused on this battle, but it will get better.

I started chemo in July and am now having radiation. The side effects are subsiding and each day I'm getting back to more of my usual activities. Chemo takes away your ability to plan ahead very far as you don't know how you're going to be feeling. But each day IS your life, as was mentioned above, so do the most you can with each day, even if it might not be what you're used to doing.

• button2
    Options
    TechMama said:

Thank you for your

On hold

You are so right in describing life on chemo as "on hold". I think that's the way it should be. You should concentrate on yourself right now, napping when you can and eating as healthy as your appetite/nausea allows. Coping with the side effects is key. I had a whole bunch of topical medicines that made life so much easier like mouthwash for sores, moisturiser for terrible dry skin, ointment for bloody nose etc. The one thing I wished I'd known during chemo was how temporary it all is. Within a few weeks after stopping, my health came roaring back with food finally tasting real again, my hair starting to grow, color coming back to my face etc. You can get through this!! Keep us posted on your progress. Best, Anna

P.S, I just read your profile and your age is under 19. Is this correct?

• GlowMore
    Options
    button2 said:

On hold

You are so right in describing life on chemo as "on hold". I think that's the way it should be. You should concentrate on yourself right now, napping when you can and eating as healthy as your appetite/nausea allows. Coping with the side effects is key. I had a whole bunch of topical medicines that made life so much easier like mouthwash for sores, moisturiser for terrible dry skin, ointment for bloody nose etc. The one thing I wished I'd known during chemo was how temporary it all is. Within a few weeks after stopping, my health came roaring back with food finally tasting real again, my hair starting to grow, color coming back to my face etc. You can get through this!! Keep us posted on your progress. Best, Anna

P.S, I just read your profile and your age is under 19. Is this correct?

button?

I just read the home page too button....but she started this thread with something about being 50....so I bet that is just a mistake on the Home page   :)

• button2
    Options
    GlowMore said:

button?

I just read the home page too button....but she started this thread with something about being 50....so I bet that is just a mistake on the Home page   :)

Thanks GloMore

thanks, I wasn't paying attention to the title of the thread. She must not have put her age and it stayed at the first category.

• TechMama
    Options
    Sorry, I just turned

Sorry, I just turned 51.

The endocrinologist today let me know that they will wait on the iodine radiation because they are worried about how well I will tolerate doing both at the same time, but also because they are not 100% sure if it will be properly effective during chemo.

Thank you very much for your support and suggestions.  My younger daughter is 12, and I worry about how this is affecting her.  My older daughter just passed the bar exam.  I was so worried because she was worried about whether or not she had passed, and I know she always worries, but I was afraid if she wound up not passing, it would have been because of my health.  My husband is trying to cope with doing most of the things I did around the house, with the kids picking up some also.  I am just so tired all the time.