Lump below chin

Options
ongsoonan
ongsoonan Member Posts: 10 Member

I just about 8 months post treatment of NPC (stage 3). I have done 35 X of radiation and 7X of chemo (Cisplastin).  My CT scan was 3 months ago and my ENT doctor said it was no problem.  Recently, I found a small lump (I guess < 1cm) below my chin. Before the treatment, there were 2 lumps at my neck but all gone after the treatment. The ENT doctor gave me an antibiotic for 5 days but no improvement. From the endoscope result, all clear. Thus, I’m really very worry with my current condition. It is recurrent of the cancer? Any of you faced this problem before? I have another appointment with ENT doctor next Tuesday.  

Regards,

Ong

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Of course any new found

lump would be worrisome, you just got past treatment!!  When is your next appointment with your ENT?  If it is soon, then be sure and tell him....if it isn't for a few weeks, then call and get in earlier.....There is no reason to put yourself through a lot of mental/emotional pain when the Dr. can answer your question (and probably tell you it's nothing to worry about).....I wish we could, but we don't even know where under your chin it is... :).

Keep us updated on what he says.

• josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Fear

Hi Ong,

I am happy to read that your treatment has been successful. Most of us, I included, get tense over physical changes that prior to having gone thru cancer treatment would not have raised much attention. You are right to want to know if there is anything going on that needs immediate attention but you are going to your ENT very soon and I would suggest that you give this week all the love you can and let your ENT solve this mystery which probably is a normal occurance that we all get for one simple reason or another. All the best, josh r.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, I

I agree with the others, I don't blame you for feeling scared and I woud call the ENT.  He is the only one who can answer your question.  praying you get a good answer.  please let us know.

God bless you,

dj

• edbravo
    edbravo Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi ong, we are in the same

Hi ong, we are in the same boat. Same npc, treatment and everything. I am in my 5th month after post treatment. i was told that my neck was swollen because of blood clot caused by the radiation and it will go away in time. So far seems to have shrunk. So dont worry too much its probably some side effects caused by the treatments. Usually for npc there will be enlarged lymph node in the neck area and never heard a lump under the chin. probably i am wrong, so do ask around. Please message me if you wish to share your similar experiences with me. Take care

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Another NPC survivor

I was also treated for NPC stage 3, finished 1y 9m ago last treatment. No lymph nodes detectable, so far. That lump might be an enlarged lymph node caused by an infection. Do you have any problem teeth? Anyway, you’ll definitely need to discuss that with the ENT, on Tuesday. 

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    G’day Ong

Glad to see you posting again, sometimes you will get swelling in the node as they start to get rid of all the radiation and chemo that you body had absorbed. Just wait to see your ENT before thinking it is cancer again. I hope and pray the best for you and all your family

Tim Hondo

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Lump

I have a lumpy feeling under my chin area down towards my Adam apple area, the onc says it's scar tissue that has damaged my thyroid but he's not concerned. I have scopes down my throat via my nose and he says it's clear each month. i take tablets for the thyroid damage and they work fine. I was told while sitting to stroke my neck downwards gently, it takes away the build up of fluids that the lymph glands used to drain. Perhaps your lump is scar tissue ( that's if you had surgery to that area). 

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

Lump

I have a lumpy feeling under my chin area down towards my Adam apple area, the onc says it's scar tissue that has damaged my thyroid but he's not concerned. I have scopes down my throat via my nose and he says it's clear each month. i take tablets for the thyroid damage and they work fine. I was told while sitting to stroke my neck downwards gently, it takes away the build up of fluids that the lymph glands used to drain. Perhaps your lump is scar tissue ( that's if you had surgery to that area). 

ONG

Mine is scar tissue and hopefully yours is also. Always seek professional advice to be on the safe side.

• edbravo
    edbravo Member Posts: 63
    Options
    hwt said:

ONG

Mine is scar tissue and hopefully yours is also. Always seek professional advice to be on the safe side.

Cancer gives us so many

Cancer gives us so many scars, you will be alright ong.

• ongsoonan
    ongsoonan Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much to all of

Thank you very much to all of you.

I met my onco and ent dr. Both of them said it should be no problem and it could be due to the infection. The onco dr said the npc seldom cause the enlargement of submental lymph node.  They asked me to meet them again after a month.  

I really hope that my health is no problem. My dr also advised me to be positive thinking.

ong