First day of Chemo today

Options

I've read it all but now that the day is here I am nervous as heck!  I start my first found of A/C today at 11 central time. I have IDC stage 3a. I will do 4 rounds of A/C evey other week amd then taxol the next 4 rounds after that. Any tips would be great Kiss

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear you have

I'm so sorry to hear you have to have chemo. The main thing for me that worked was being easy on myself for the first 3-4 days after each infusion. I would have ready meals in the freezer and the house/clothes would be clean. That way, I could just hang out on the couch and nap when needed. Most important is dealing with the side effects. When I got dry skin, I made sure to use a moisturizer religiously. Mouthwash for sores, ointment for bloody nose etc as your doctor advises. Make a list of things bothering you and ask your nurses and doctors to help you solve them. It makes a huge difference and feels you are doing something positive. There are some great websites to help you with what food will taste better right now. When I had my 10 rounds, it felt like forever and I wish I had known how short is seems later. Now I am feeling so much better and you will too. You can do this!!! Hugs 000xxxx

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    NO Advice-I had radiation

NO Advice-I had radiation ONLY....but I am sure others will give you words of wisdom but I am sending pixie dust and hugs

Denise

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    button2 said:

I'm so sorry to hear you have

I'm so sorry to hear you have to have chemo. The main thing for me that worked was being easy on myself for the first 3-4 days after each infusion. I would have ready meals in the freezer and the house/clothes would be clean. That way, I could just hang out on the couch and nap when needed. Most important is dealing with the side effects. When I got dry skin, I made sure to use a moisturizer religiously. Mouthwash for sores, ointment for bloody nose etc as your doctor advises. Make a list of things bothering you and ask your nurses and doctors to help you solve them. It makes a huge difference and feels you are doing something positive. There are some great websites to help you with what food will taste better right now. When I had my 10 rounds, it felt like forever and I wish I had known how short is seems later. Now I am feeling so much better and you will too. You can do this!!! Hugs 000xxxx

Sending you hugs

I too am sorry that you have to have chemo.  I had AC for part of my chemo protocal, it was pretty tough for me, but others  on this board were able to tolerate it.   Be sure to take your anti nausea meds before you even feel sick and stick to the schedule. I didn't and I ended up very nauseated. If  you keep experiencing nausea call the oncologists office and demand a new script. I also used biotene mouthwash and toothpaste to ease the mouthsores.  Make sure that you hydrate,hydrate  and, hydrate.  Be  good to yourself.  If someone offers help, whether it be cooking meals or helping to  clean your  house  accept the offer. I know you can do this and I am pulling for you!!!!! Love Surf.

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Be Strong and fight like ????

Bon, everyone has given you good advice so you know what to expect. You have alot of treatments ahead of you but everyone reacts differently. One thing that got me down was not the chemo but the nelusta shot. Some people said that it did not bother them at all. I wish you well with everything. One thing that I really want to express to you. The chemo you are having you will lose your hair. Some people this bothers and some people it does not. I do not know how you feel about this but their are ways to cover this up. It did not bother me at all because I knew my life was more important and I wanted to live and losing my hair was the last thing on my mind. My last chemo was in May and I am finally getting hair. Matter of fact I think I like it this way. Do not have to take the time to fix it. LOL. You have to stay strong and fight this ugly beast. Hopefully you will be one of those that can take a treatments and still be able to go to work. I wish you the very best.Smile Throwing Pixie Dust Your Way Smile   Pixie

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Same

Like you I am a IIIA and had the same chemo regimen you are having.  Not that it was always easy, I still think that I got through it fairly well.  I really do believe that a lot of factors do play in this:  personality, mindset, general health, etc.

I did all right with the AC.  The anti-puke drugs I had on hand worked well for me.  If I recall, I did chemo on Mondays, had the Neulasta shot on Tuesdays, and then would start the anti-puke drugs Wednesday night.  I had been told by my NP that there are drugs added to the infusion that are meant to squelch feeling sick.  At the worst, I would have a day or two, usually Thursday and Friday, when I would feel queasy, but I could still make myself each something.  My NP told me that if my anti-puke drugs did not work to let them know.  There is no reason to have to be sick like that.  They would change the drug.  I usually could stop the anti-puke drugs after the dose I would take on a Saturday night.

My hair decided to flee just as I was doing my second infusion.  Rathern than mess with clumps, I had a friend give me a buzz cut.  Eventually the bristles were gone.  By the time I finished chemo, I had no hair anywhere, not even in my nose (which I think is part of why I had some deep-breathing issues as time went on -- no filtering of particles from the air).  No eyebrows or eyelashes either.

I drank tons of water the first few days after chemo to help wash it out of my system.  I had a 32-oz container I filled three times a day.  From that I would pour the water into glasses.  It was easier for me to keep track of my water intake.

My numbers were always good, and so I had no infusions delayed.

I did have a reaction twice with the taxol.  Usually it is the first round that is apt to do that and the nurses keep close tabs on you; but I was weird and reacted the last two times.  Things did get under control both times, and I was able to continue the infusion after getting a bag of something like benadryl to calm my system down.

I had a problem with taking deep breaths the last month I was doing chemo.  I had some nasty coughing sessions -- mucous.  If I moved too quickly, I would want to catch my breath, and then I would get coughing.  I tried to not cough deeply because that was the only way it would stop.  My onc had me take an allergy pill, and that helped a lot and did so quickly.

I had more noticeable aching in my legs and hips the last month as well.  Usually toward the end of the week I had my infusion, I would have 2-3 days of achiness.  Then it went away.

I always had a friend who offered to drive for me.  I had companions for chemo, for shot day, and for blook draw day.  These companions were a big help to me many times in many ways.

How did I fare?  Ten days after my final infusion, I was on a short vacation with my husband.  I did quite wshouell.  I knew to not push myself or hurry myself.  I was rather surprised, as were friends we visited.

I hope you do well.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Same

Like you I am a IIIA and had the same chemo regimen you are having.  Not that it was always easy, I still think that I got through it fairly well.  I really do believe that a lot of factors do play in this:  personality, mindset, general health, etc.

I did all right with the AC.  The anti-puke drugs I had on hand worked well for me.  If I recall, I did chemo on Mondays, had the Neulasta shot on Tuesdays, and then would start the anti-puke drugs Wednesday night.  I had been told by my NP that there are drugs added to the infusion that are meant to squelch feeling sick.  At the worst, I would have a day or two, usually Thursday and Friday, when I would feel queasy, but I could still make myself each something.  My NP told me that if my anti-puke drugs did not work to let them know.  There is no reason to have to be sick like that.  They would change the drug.  I usually could stop the anti-puke drugs after the dose I would take on a Saturday night.

My hair decided to flee just as I was doing my second infusion.  Rathern than mess with clumps, I had a friend give me a buzz cut.  Eventually the bristles were gone.  By the time I finished chemo, I had no hair anywhere, not even in my nose (which I think is part of why I had some deep-breathing issues as time went on -- no filtering of particles from the air).  No eyebrows or eyelashes either.

I drank tons of water the first few days after chemo to help wash it out of my system.  I had a 32-oz container I filled three times a day.  From that I would pour the water into glasses.  It was easier for me to keep track of my water intake.

My numbers were always good, and so I had no infusions delayed.

I did have a reaction twice with the taxol.  Usually it is the first round that is apt to do that and the nurses keep close tabs on you; but I was weird and reacted the last two times.  Things did get under control both times, and I was able to continue the infusion after getting a bag of something like benadryl to calm my system down.

I had a problem with taking deep breaths the last month I was doing chemo.  I had some nasty coughing sessions -- mucous.  If I moved too quickly, I would want to catch my breath, and then I would get coughing.  I tried to not cough deeply because that was the only way it would stop.  My onc had me take an allergy pill, and that helped a lot and did so quickly.

I had more noticeable aching in my legs and hips the last month as well.  Usually toward the end of the week I had my infusion, I would have 2-3 days of achiness.  Then it went away.

I always had a friend who offered to drive for me.  I had companions for chemo, for shot day, and for blook draw day.  These companions were a big help to me many times in many ways.

How did I fare?  Ten days after my final infusion, I was on a short vacation with my husband.  I did quite wshouell.  I knew to not push myself or hurry myself.  I was rather surprised, as were friends we visited.

I hope you do well.

Hey BonBon

Hope you are doing ok with the Chemo.....I didn't want to say anything about my first Chemo because it didn't go so well and they ended up having to call 911 when I got home that afternoon because I had a terrific reaction and had chills and spiked a fever of 106..along with the Shakes from Hell.....scared my friend from Church who had taken me for the chemo...Bless her Heart.   They never figured out what caused it exactly but decided to never give me the anti nausea drug Zotrim (sp?) again. Every course of chemo I had resulted in a high fever about ten days out....and they gave me a drug called Levaquin for that......which is a wonderful drug but ....   a year after my treatment I had a frozen shoulder and I suspect that the Levaquin was probably the cause of it.  Whole nother story there.    One advice I will give you is to be sure to eat something ...even if only a soda cracker or two later.    Praying for you that all goes ok for you...let us know....  hugs and prayers, Glo

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    checking in to see how you

checking in to see how you are doing?????????

Denise

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Round one done

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your support. It means the world.  I had my first A/C infusions. It was not a problem. I ate a jolley rancher candy while the saline was going in as well as the other meds so I wouldn't taste it. That worked well.  I came back the next day for the n shot and didn't feel it due to still recovering from my bi-lateral surgery. I was thrilled since I'm a needle phobe :)

I have been nauseaus but have managed. One thing for sure is that I have zero tolerance for the dissolvable nausea med. It literally makes me feel like a hangover. Doesn't seem to do that to anyone else. Lucky me. That is my update for now.

Bon Bon

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Round one done

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your support. It means the world.  I had my first A/C infusions. It was not a problem. I ate a jolley rancher candy while the saline was going in as well as the other meds so I wouldn't taste it. That worked well.  I came back the next day for the n shot and didn't feel it due to still recovering from my bi-lateral surgery. I was thrilled since I'm a needle phobe :)

I have been nauseaus but have managed. One thing for sure is that I have zero tolerance for the dissolvable nausea med. It literally makes me feel like a hangover. Doesn't seem to do that to anyone else. Lucky me. That is my update for now.

Bon Bon

Glad you have 1 over

Bon Bon, glad you are fillling good. I hope your few day ahead of you that you are filling the same. Sometimes it takes a few day for it to really hit you but everyone is different. I have seen where some women has both chemo and radition and work at the same time. It works different on everyone. One thing to do is start your mouth care now and do it about 3 or 4 times a day till you are finished with all chemos. One thing you do not want is the inside of your mouth covered with sores and this is very painful.I am sure that you have been told everthing else to keep you on your 2 feet. LOL. This was bad for me with the mouthsores. I ended up in ER. Hope all goes well for you, Smile Pixie Dust

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

Round one done

Hi everyone,

Bon Bon

I am so glad that you have

I am so glad that you have completed round one without too many side effects.  If they are giving you the dissolvable ondanestron, it comes in 2 strengths.  You might try less - the 4 mg instaed of the 8 mg and see if that helps.  I have also taken dronabinol gelcaps - in 2.5 or 5 mg.  For me, the dronabinol works better as an appetite stimulant.  There are many nausea meds, so do not let that nausea get away from you (like I did).  Talk with your onc and chemo nurses.  They may have some really good suggestions!  Good luck!

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Round one done

Hi everyone,

Bon Bon

Hope it is still going ok for you

Mine were three weeks apart and I remember I got really sick about ten days out.   Everyone has different medications and amounts etc.......my nausea meds were given to me intravenously and I can't remember the name of the pill I took afterward now...I think it started with a T........but I was careful to always eat something afterward...because the one time I didn't eat was when I got the chemo heaves.......where you think you are dying ...and naturally I was all alone.  Just the pits....that was my darkest hour.  But with the help of God I made it through and am still here.  You have a wonderful attitude and you can do this....hang in there.  Love and Hugs,  glo

• belindahill
    belindahill Member Posts: 144
    Options
    Chemo

Morning to you, I've got my first oncologist appointment on Friday. I lost my husband to cancer aug 2013 , and I was dx with breast cancer aug 2014!! It was not in my nodes, the tumor was very small, I had to have a mastectomy , and the treatment will be to prevent a recurance. My cancer is her2 poss. I think I will have to do chemo, herceptin and tamoxifen for 10 years. Wishing you all the luck in the world.