*Artificial Saliva Product Review*

Options
2»

Comments

• ErthWlkr
    ErthWlkr Member Posts: 60
    Options

I can swallow and can taste

I can swallow and can taste everything.When talking with my surgen he said the slivia issure should slove itself with time but hasn't so far.Everything is healing fine.The wierd part is that it starts more ater drinking coffee and was wondering if caffine can do this.Feels strange that mouth fills up yet my throat is alittle dry.And as I talk mouth fills up and will begin to slur my words and with my tounge tied is hard enough now.Wondering if there is any mouth wash or something like that

Hypersalivation continued....

Hi T -

Don't know if caffeine stimulates saliva - heck, that would be a great benefit! :) But the fact that that the hypersalivation seems to be connected to slurring and tongue cramping is hinting at a swallowing issue. Which is why I'm thinking that you might not have an over-production of salivation but it's just not clearing from your mouth.

Don't remember if you mentioned how long you've been out of treatment - but oddly enough I started getting tongue tied about 5 years out whenever I drank something overly hot or cold, or something too spicy or minty. Then whatever is in my mouth at the time won't go down until it all calms down.

The doc may be right - it may just take time. I might still suggest seeing an ENT...you might get a bit more insight and guidance...

- Jeff

• Anonymous7/6/2023
    Options
    Estelle_H said:

Review/Discussion Of Artificial Saliva Products

As you may know, there are ongoing “manufacturing issues” with this product, leading to fairly constant difficulties in obtaining it. This is a great shame, as many mouth cancer/radiotherapy patients rely on this.

Crucially, AS Saliva Orthana is the ONLY product to contain the all-important FLUORIDE. It is also the ONLY produce that contains MUCIN, which is present in endogenous saliva.

It now looks as though AS Saliva Orthana is not being manufactured at all, now. I have been told that patients’ only chance is to mop up any excess stock that pharmacies may be holding. This is likely to be negligible, as comparatively few people use it in the general population, (which skews the statistics, as so many mouth cancer patients use it!) For example, at the huge Boots in Stafford, there is only one patient who has it: Me!

I have been trialling alternatives over the past few months, and I’d like to convey this information to other patients, perhaps you can help. To my mind, the more knowledge and information sharing that goes on, the better! I’ve not reviewed Saliva Orthana, as there doesn’t seem much point if people won’t be able to get it! Suffice to say it does have a slightly odd taste, and, if your mouth is tender (residual mucositis), Saliva Orthana stings.

Saliva Orthana is the most convenient in terms of packaging – the refillable, hygienic, safe 50ml plastic bottle. But, after a few goes with it, you’ll need a good drink of water, as it does ‘build up’ and become sticky. Here’s a mini-review of the alternatives. I really do hope this is helpful:

GLANDOSANE – (Cell Pharm GmbH, Germany)

For:

Very gentle, pleasant lemon taste. Would not interfere with other things you were drinking/eating.

Lovely texture, no oiliness, no stickiness, no grease – a very light foam. Perfect.

This one really feels like your own saliva, more so than any of the others.

Available over-the-counter and on prescription.

Contains the proper minerals, (Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride).

Long lasting moisture, several hours.

Can is 50ml, pocket/handbag sized.

Seems to keep your mouth moist and silky enough to get the very best out of your speech!

The BEST product I have tried so far. In fact, I’d say maybe better than Saliva Orthana.

Against:

Comes in a metal aerosol tin.

Contains Sorbitol – a laxative in frequent use.

Very expensive (around £9.00! but you can get it prescribed by your GP instead).

XEROTIN SPRAY (Difa Cooper S.P.A, Italy) –

For:

Provides very long lasting moisture.

Can give several hours of uninterrupted sleep!

If your mouth is VERY sore, even Saliva Orthana will sting. Xerotin will not sting, no matter how sore your mouth is.

Contains mineral salts like Saliva Orthana contains.

Against:

Many people find it oily, it also has a nasty, slightly sweet, greasy taste.

It comes in a big, brown glass bottle, hardly handbag sized, and not everyone wants the hassle of decanting stuff into smaller plastic bottles.

Available only on prescription.

Does not contain Mucin.

Does not contain Fluoride.

Contains Sorbitol, which can have a laxative effect when used frequently.

BOOTS EXPERT DENTAL DRY MOUTH SPRAY (Boots, England) –

For:

Has a minty taste. Very refreshing! Tastes and smells lovely.

Lovely texture, no hint of oiliness.

Available in 50ml handbag/pocket size.

If you buy the 500ml bottle you’ll save a lot of money, then decant it into a smaller bottle.

Contains Xylitol. There is a persuasive body of research demonstrating that Xylitol will actually STIMULATE saliva production. And this is VERY exciting – there is peer reviewed research showing that Xylitol causes remineralisation of teeth! This is good news for those of us at risk of ORN.

Against:

If your mouth is even slightly sore, this stuff will HURT.

When you first spray it, your mouth will become very wet. Soon after, it will dry out and you’ll feel thirsty and sticky.

Expensive. Not available on prescription. Cheaper if you buy the 500ml and decant. Some people may find that a hassle.

Sells very quickly, often out of stock!

Contains Castor Oil, Glycerin and Saccharin – laxatives with frequent use! Glycerin also reduces intraocular pressure, which could interfere with medication for Glaucoma?

Glycerin is a sugar alcohol, which makes me wonder if it would actually CAUSE tooth decay, and if the alcohol factor could increase the likelihood of tumour recurrence? Alcohol is an established risk factor. I don’t know enough Chemistry to know if this is right, but it’s certainly an interesting question. Remember, we use LOADS of these products: Even if something occurs in a small amount, we are getting lots of that small amount into us!

Does not contain Fluoride.

Does not contain Mucin.

BIOXTRA GEL (Lifestream Pharma, Belgium) –

For:

Provides possibly the longest lasting moisture of all the products I’ve tried (many).

Will get you an unparalleled 5 or 6 hours of sleep before the dry mouth wakes you up. You need a fair bit, 5 – 10mls per night, so you’ll get through a fair few 40ml tubes.

Taste is acceptable.

Contains Xylitol – this is good – see above.

Against:

Monumentally sticky! It’s also in a tube, and very messy to get into your mouth. Do you hold the tube in the air, tip your head back and squeeze it in downwards, thereby squeezing it onto your face? Do you put some on your finger, very unhygienic, and leaves you with sticky hands. Or do you put the tube nozzle to your mouth (unhygienic) and squeeze directly in? Maybe use a teaspoon? Not very suitable for use out of the house, for these reasons.

Because of the longevity of this product, it would be fantastic for speaking at meetings and giving presentations or teaching sessions, but because of the stickiness in your mouth when you’re actually speaking, it’s just too messy.

Prescription only.

Contains Glycerin and Sorbitol. See above. Laxative effect.

INCREDIBLY this product contains Glucose and Dextrose! SUGAR! Is it safe for people at risk of osteoradionecrosis?!

SALIVEZE (Wyvern Medical Ltd, England) -

For:

Contains the relevant minerals (listed earlier).

pH Neutral (unfair, as I don’t know how acidic the others are; acid causes tooth decay)

Handy little plastic bottle pocket/handbag sized

Claims to be ‘mint’ flavour.

Reasonable moisture given, similar texture to Saliva Orthana, slightly more oily.

This is a fair, like-for-like substitute for Saliva Orthana.

Against:

Personally, I find the taste awful. ‘Ink’, or perhaps ‘oven cleaner’ might be a better description. (I squirted some into my husband’s mouth. He said it wasn’t too bad, but then he hasn’t had half his gob incinerated!).

Like Saliva Orthana, after a few goes, it builds up in stickiness. You’ll need a good drink of water sooner or later.

My mouth is not currently sore, and this product still seems to sting.

Expensive (£6.00 for 50ml, but is available on prescription).

Contains Sorbitol and Glycerol – see earlier comments.

Saliva Orthana mucin derived

Saliva Orthana mucin derived from pigs.

Just looked this up. This product would not be suitable for those who do not eat pork for religious or social reasons, or for strict vegetarians.

• MJ70
    MJ70 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Estelle_H said:

I agree! Chewing gum is

I agree! Chewing gum is recommended to help saliva production, especially those containing Xylitol.

I have read several research papers about Xylitol - not ony does it stimulate saliva production (as does the chewing motion), but ALSO - it has been found to remineralise teeth!

That is such a massive bonus!

I have tried hard to chew gum. Sadly, things get "lost" in my mouth - I can't find them, which is too much of a choking risk for me, AND, I always end up chewing on the flap. My tongue flap is already missing a large chunk at the front - I wont go into the gory details about that incident LOL! Tongue Out

stopper 4

I have been using Stopper Four  from Drugstore.com  cost is $6.39 for a four oz spray bottle ...This was a product i saw on Hondo's  thread one day  a couple years ago... I like it and it works for me...Have tried bioclean, restore for dry mouth by Act...and will try some of these listed..    

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    ErthWlkr said:

Hypersalivation continued....

Hi T -

Don't know if caffeine stimulates saliva - heck, that would be a great benefit! :) But the fact that that the hypersalivation seems to be connected to slurring and tongue cramping is hinting at a swallowing issue. Which is why I'm thinking that you might not have an over-production of salivation but it's just not clearing from your mouth.

Don't remember if you mentioned how long you've been out of treatment - but oddly enough I started getting tongue tied about 5 years out whenever I drank something overly hot or cold, or something too spicy or minty. Then whatever is in my mouth at the time won't go down until it all calms down.

The doc may be right - it may just take time. I might still suggest seeing an ENT...you might get a bit more insight and guidance...

- Jeff

No have no swallowing

No have no swallowing issures.Been out of treatment since June.Doctor said it should clear itself up the more I do swallow.But now that I am paying alittle attention part of is that the liguid isn't exactly going all the way down and some stays in the mouth.But sometimes can feel it building up around the tounge.I don't have any cramping of the tounge.But like some or most of us the swallowing will always be the first of thoughts .

• ErthWlkr
    Options

No have no swallowing

No have no swallowing issures.Been out of treatment since June.Doctor said it should clear itself up the more I do swallow.But now that I am paying alittle attention part of is that the liguid isn't exactly going all the way down and some stays in the mouth.But sometimes can feel it building up around the tounge.I don't have any cramping of the tounge.But like some or most of us the swallowing will always be the first of thoughts .

Frustrating...

I know it can be frustrating - but keep it in mind that you're only about 3 months out from treatment. It's a slow recovery process but you should start seeing more improvement soon! Revist the comment at about 6 months out - and you should see a big difference.

Stay flexible, and roll with the punches. We've been given the time so take advantage of it... :)

- J.

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    ErthWlkr said:

Frustrating...

I know it can be frustrating - but keep it in mind that you're only about 3 months out from treatment. It's a slow recovery process but you should start seeing more improvement soon! Revist the comment at about 6 months out - and you should see a big difference.

Stay flexible, and roll with the punches. We've been given the time so take advantage of it... :)

- J.

Have been paying more

Have been paying more attention and noticed the last few days that what ever liguid I swallow some does stay in my mouth.I can feel it actually splilling over my tounge.At least the part I can feel anyway.So I have to watch when I speak that somehow I can get any liguid down.But find I work always sipping something weather it's coffee water ect.I can't drink anything like coke or pepsi the carbination stings.But still think that the liquid activates the slivia alittle to produce more like it does when eating solid.But still find myself sluring word like when you hold your tounge and talk...

• ErthWlkr
    Options

Have been paying more

Have been paying more attention and noticed the last few days that what ever liguid I swallow some does stay in my mouth.I can feel it actually splilling over my tounge.At least the part I can feel anyway.So I have to watch when I speak that somehow I can get any liguid down.But find I work always sipping something weather it's coffee water ect.I can't drink anything like coke or pepsi the carbination stings.But still think that the liquid activates the slivia alittle to produce more like it does when eating solid.But still find myself sluring word like when you hold your tounge and talk...

Swallowing liquids

Yep - carbonated drinks are definitely irritating. I would avoid them for the time being. When you're drinking - or eating for that matter - you should try to focus on that. Drinking during speaking may not be the best thing to do right now. As I said it's a bit frustrating - but it gets better. See what works and what doesn't and go for that. Don't fight your way through - roll with it. Think more judo rather than boxing... :)

Take your time, stay flexible, adapt as best you can. Things change and things do get better. Just takes time...

- Jeff

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    ErthWlkr said:

Swallowing liquids

Yep - carbonated drinks are definitely irritating. I would avoid them for the time being. When you're drinking - or eating for that matter - you should try to focus on that. Drinking during speaking may not be the best thing to do right now. As I said it's a bit frustrating - but it gets better. See what works and what doesn't and go for that. Don't fight your way through - roll with it. Think more judo rather than boxing... :)

Take your time, stay flexible, adapt as best you can. Things change and things do get better. Just takes time...

- Jeff

Taste

Jeffs right it does get better. Achieved a mildish curry at weekend. Couldn't h

Regards, Garyave a month ago